Junior grounds beside a railway?

Present day end of the line, historically it was a through line just like East Kilbride.
IIRC the tracks still ran to just about the back end of Brig O'Lea into the early 1980s. I'm sure the trains used to run up there to switch tracks for the return trip to Glasgow. I'll get my anorak.

59 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Could it be down to it being cheap land? Not as profitable to build houses on the land adjacent to the line, so a lot of it got left as green space...

Probably as simple as that plus the rent would be as cheap as chips if my old mother's railway uncle's house were anything to go by. He lived in Eglinton St roughly facing the present day O2 Academy in Glasgow. The back windows looked on to the main line leaving Glasgow Central. Haud yur cups that's the 16.02 for London going by, he would shout. We were terrified as kids.  The entire block must have been suffering from PTSD.

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:
Present day end of the line, historically it was a through line just like East Kilbride.

IIRC the tracks still ran to just about the back end of Brig O'Lea into the early 1980s. I'm sure the trains used to run up there to switch tracks for the return trip to Glasgow. I'll get my anorak.

I've seen an old photo online of Petershill's old old ground in what looks like, I'm guessing here, Edgefauld Rd where the motorbike showroom was. Take it the Railway Works had some connection to Peasy. Vaguely remember a 1960/1970s film and Sean Connery cycling round the disused factory.

Edited by Tutankhamen

2 hours ago, The Bluebells Are Blue said:

Is there any particular reason why many Junior grounds were set beside a railway line, back in the day? Arthurlie, Troon, Irvine Vics, & now Kilwinning's new Buffs Park,by coincidence, are some that spring to mind. Do you know of any others? 

At one time I believe there were 3 different railway lines running through Barrhead, and they all ran close to where Dunterlie is located.  One of the long lost stations was located at the Centre of Barrhead in Cochrane Street, which is about a 3 minute walk from the ground. 

36 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

The trains still go beyond the station to turn around for the journey back to Glasgow, but I don't remember them going as far as Brig O'Lea.    Not saying that is wrong just that I don't remember it.

26 minutes ago, nicotina said:

i'm surmising  inverurie locos are near a station ?

Near enough, probably 1/2 mile walk up the road. The team names comes from the Loco Works facility which occupied the surrounding area and was naturally next to the railway station/line.

I've never thought whether ground are near railway stations/lines. Perhaps some of  teams started out as works teams and areas around railway stations tended to be areas of industry.

3 hours ago, The Bluebells Are Blue said:

Is there any particular reason why many Junior grounds were set beside a railway line, back in the day? Arthurlie, Troon, Irvine Vics, & now Kilwinning's new Buffs Park,by coincidence, are some that spring to mind. Do you know of any others? 

Railway companies in the 1800s had to buy more land than they actually needed to get their lines built and that meant they had parcels of cheap land available for sale when football clubs were being set up.  

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

The trains still go beyond the station to turn around for the journey back to Glasgow, but I don't remember them going as far as Brig O'Lea.    Not saying that is wrong just that I don't remember it.

Neilston line used to go all the way to the Ayrshire coast until the cuts in the 60s.