Rovers v QP

Well that was pretty easy

rovers players pressed qp all over the park and queens didnt like it panicking every time a rovers man went near them

Qp were better in 2nd half in the sence that they didnt let rovers control the game, but with defenders throwing themselves in front of shots they didnt have many chances

Queens fan thinking you can be offside in your own half is a tad embarrassing

Chalk up a win for the good guys

19 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Well that was pretty easy

rovers players pressed qp all over the park and queens didnt like it panicking every time a rovers man went near them

Qp were better in 2nd half in the sence that they didnt let rovers control the game, but with defenders throwing themselves in front of shots they didnt have many chances

Queens fan thinking you can be offside in your own half is a tad embarrassing

Chalk up a win for the good guys

It was far from easy Chris. We basically had to fight our way through that game. 1st half we battered QP withthe only complaint is it should have been 3 or 4 if it wasn’t for some brilliant goalkeeping.

2nd Half Queens had to come out fighting and finally we saw a Rovers team which could dig out a performance to protect our lead. It certainly answered the critics including myself and was a performance that was more akin to our form towards the end of last season. Tuesday nights game is crucial now.

Billy Mortimer did not look at his best for the goals. Perhaps Finnie will slot in there?

Agree, but both goals were finished at the LB position. Have a look at Summers position on both as the goals were scored. Billy did other things during the game that redeemed him. Finnie seems a strong defender but still to see what he offers going forward. Summers had a howler start to finish. The whole back line was a shambles positionally with only Little having a decent shift.

Never a good day when your goalie is the only option for MotM.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Agree, but both goals were finished at the LB position. Have a look at Summers position on both as the goals were scored. Billy did other things during the game that redeemed him. Finnie seems a strong defender but still to see what he offers going forward. Summers had a howler start to finish. The whole back line was a shambles positionally with only Little having a decent shift.

Never a good day when your goalie is the only option for MotM.

Very fair comment. I just do not like the way we play our wing backs. Neither have sound defensive qualities. I am not a fan of Summers but do think he is having a much better season than last. I very much like the commitment from Billy but I just do not think he is of the quality we are looking for. Neither of them seem anywhere near their opponent at the diagonal ball.

Edited by williebraveheart

Willie Muir again showing why he was re-signed. We could easily have been 5 down at half time if it wasn't for him.

Second half better but damage was already done. Rovers defended brilliantly, especially Wharton who headed and blocked most of what we threw at them. Sal did have a great chance to make it interesting but keeper was quick to narrow the angle ( he probably should have dinked it)  Galt also unlucky with a couple of his trademark free kicks that were well saved (he'll score from one soon)  

Edited by Mick1867

18 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Very fair comment. I just do not like the way we play our wing backs. Neither have sound defensive qualities. I am not a fan of Summers but do think he is having a much better season than last. I very much like the commitment from Billy but I just do not think he is of the quality we are looking for. Neither of them seem anywhere near their opponent at the diagonal ball.

I'd agree that Summers wasn't at his best on Saturday ( only Muir was effective), but I do think he is a decent player for us, and more of a footballer than most defenders. The marking of the goalscorer for the second was poor, but he wasn't Summers's man.

Billy's work rate for us is great, but I don't think we could accommodate his shortcomings in a higher league.

Edited by Velvet Donkey

Billy's getting a bit of stick on here but I think he's more there for what he gives us in terms of his attacking abilities. Having five out and out defenders really isn't in too many manager's thinking these days.

I think Billy provides very little going forward. He’s kinda developed a role whereby he works his socks off but we just hope he doesn’t make mistakes in the game and defends well. He doesn’t have the attacking or crossing ability of Summers on the other side for example. Although, Summers wasn’t up to much on Saturday either.

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Billy's getting a bit of stick on here but I think he's more there for what he gives us in terms of his attacking abilities. Having five out and out defenders really isn't in too many manager's thinking these days.

With respect it is his lack of attacking ability that has got him pushed back to wing back. He can neither cross nor score although, as must be said, his commitment is 100%.

We all love Billy. He's QP through and through. Every single week I wonder if this will be Billy's day for a corker. It's in there somewhere but he lacks the assurance and confidence that some of his team mates have.  Maybe the coaches could be doing more to help his technique and ball control. There are skill excercises that can improve crossing, passing, control etc. I'd be surprised if they aren't utilised at the development levels. Or pair him up with Purdue in training. What comes naturally for some might be graft for another.

Loads of these on You Tube. I was trained in the Coerver programme and I'd recommend it to anyone, player or coach. Get on it Billy!