Saints v The Well 4/12/19

The fact that everything did change with 4-3-3, Hastie and Ariyibi makes this season's rebuild Robinson's most impressive work yet.

From January onwards last year we had a shape, identity and personnel that seemed to sit nice with all of us. Right now, due to injury (Turnbull, Dunne) and departures (Aldred, Gorrin, Hastie, Ariyibi, Main), that has been ripped apart, but Robinson has built it again without the style really being too compromised.

Finally finding a decent, left footed, left back seems progress, Gallagher has seamlessly replaced Aldred and you could even say is an upgrade, Donnelly has stepped into Gorrin's shoes and added a few goals, Polworth has been an assist machine and between four or five forwards contributing goals between them, there's no reliance on one individual player scoring frequently in Turnbull's absence.

Also a big fan of how Scott is being used. A lot of exposure to first team football, without being a guaranteed, relied upon starter every week is, in my opinion, the best thing for his development.

When you have to sign the sheer volume of players that Robbo has to for Motherwell, you're bound to get one or two wrong along the way, but it does impress me when he gets one wrong he rectifies it quickly like Taylor-Sinclair or Fisher and does seem to have the foresight in cases like Donnelly, decides he's a project worth persevering with. I suspect we'll see Sloth depart a la Taylor-Sinclair/Fisher in January.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I am not writing Goody off yet. This is his first season as a full time manager. He is still learning.

Motherwell fans were a bawhair away from turning on Robinson last season before he introduced a lot of the youth team. They were just ahead of us going into the winter period.

I'm not writing him off either.  I want nothing more than any Saints manager to have a moderate level of success.  

I'm not chucking in the towel on Goodwin. We've gone through too many managers and need to stabilise around one. We are noticeably not as shite as last year, where that kind of 3-0 defeat was accepted every week. 

I was annoyed at the lack of fight and poor ability we showed yesterday- especially since we are capable of and have played far better recently. 2-0 and they chucked it completely. 

We need to work on final ball. Corners were murder and the crosses, when they bothered putting one in, woeful. Never seen a team who'd prefer passing it back to the Hladky when we were at the edge of the area instead of picking out a cross. No wonder we don't score. 

Waters is getting picked on by teams- he's struggling and could do with a seat on the bench but we have little option- especially now Broadfoot and MacKenzie are long term absences.  Andreu is a luxury player we don't need- missed the penalty last week and sells the 2nd this week!

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Poor Grimshaw.  By my reckoning he's the only outfield player with 5 starts or more without a goal...

He's saving it for a run the length of the park, last minute winner in the Cup Final.

Saints were marginally the better team for the first 25 mins - without creating anything.

Well score two in 5 minutes and the game is over.

Aside from 10 minutes in the middle of the second half Well let us have the ball knowing we'll do nothing with it.

I've missed the last two games (Hibs and Dons) where supposedly we played some great stuff (Willie Miller said we were playing like Barca at one point on Saturday!).

As a result was looking forward to a decent game last night, but we were woeful.

Any Saints fans that were at those games have any idea what the difference was? Are Well really so much better than Hibs/Dons that we went from Barca to, errrr, St Mirren.

20 hours ago, Swello said:

Stephen Robinson was far harsher in his criticism of Donnelly than supporters were - he didn't play enough to become much of a discussion. He got his arse kicked about his fitness levels, took it and has come back this season looking like a good player at our level - so I don't think patience was an issue.

If anyone other than a couple of perma-roasters off Steelmen has been giving Polworth stick, I'd be amazed - to me, only Gallacher has been a more effective player in our team this season.

Tbf I thought Polworth should’ve been dropped to see what O’Hara could do. Polworth has been excellent for us but maybe no so effective in the past few games before last night as he was outstanding last night, that pass for Scott was absolutely sublime.

8 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Waters is getting picked on by teams- he's struggling and could do with a seat on the bench but we have little option- especially now Broadfoot and MacKenzie are long term absences. 

Glad it's not just me that has noticed this. He is absolutely rotten defensively, just keeps backing off and letting people run into the box. New left back should be a priority in january. He was also at blame for one of the aberdeen goals and was to blame for the cross that came in for the free header that should have been scored. Were not a team that can afford to have passengers that can't defend, just because they can whip a decent cross in.

Glad it's not just me that has noticed this. He is absolutely rotten defensively, just keeps backing off and letting people run into the box. New left back should be a priority in january. He was also at blame for one of the aberdeen goals and was to blame for the cross that came in for the free header that should have been scored. Were not a team that can afford to have passengers that can't defend, just because they can whip a decent cross in.

To be fair, he can’t whip a decent cross in either.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

The first 25 mins of this game were fucking awful. There is no chance St Mirren were "better" though.

It's quite remarkable to see St Mirren have lost 11 games this season, yet been the better team in every one.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's quite remarkable to see St Mirren have lost 11 games this season, yet been the better team in every one.

We've all been there where our team are absolutely godawful and packed with garbage players and it therefore skews our perception of reality. When your bunch of donkeys are able to string a few passes together for 20 minutes of a game, you're so surprised by it that that you get carried away.