Saints v The Well 4/12/19

4 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Jermaine Hylton is really beginning to find his stride and show himself as a more rounded player. His contribution to the third goal was brilliant and even better was how many players we had bursting a gut to get there to put the ball in the net.

Yep- like so many other guys we bring in from English non-league, it's taken him a while to adjust to the higher level but he's really looking the part recently. Another one for the "don't judge a player in August" scrapbook.

Losing MacKenzie was a blow. That'll be him out for the season no doubt.

Shifting McGinn in one and putting MacPherson at right back doesn't sit comfortable with anyone. We knew we needed a bit more strengthening in the full back areas.

Not much in the game then Scott scores a nice goal from Well's point of view, piss poor defending by us. 2nd goal was another nice finish but again defending non existent. Feck knows what McGinn was doing leaving the ball for the number 14 to tear us a new one, his brother Paul should have brought the guy down 40 yards from goal instead of letting him charge in.

That was one of the many differences. Motherwell are way more street wise. They committed a few cynical fouls that prevented us getting into a stride and into dangerous positions. Gallacher left a couple on Obika and Mullen and that was them out the game. We hardly showed any fight at all, apart from Andreu decking Campbell.

Worrying times as we can no longer rely on our home record. The players looked out on their feet before half time. We are not even half way through the games in December yet.

Well are the best team I’ve witnessed this season. Pace, Power, strength and high tempo along with being well drilled. Robinson has everyone knowing where they should be wherever the ball is.

The blueprint for clubs like us. 

Well are the best team I’ve witnessed this season. Pace, Power, strength and high tempo along with being well drilled. Robinson has everyone knowing where they should be wherever the ball is.
Yep can't argue with that. They know how to win games and are very clinical. Play some good stuff too.

37 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
47 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Yep can't argue with that. They know how to win games and are very clinical. Play some good stuff too.

Just shows what can be achieved with a good manager.

It's a kick in the arse, but not the end of days...

We get a result against Hamilton next week then the league table starts looking a bit better.  Obv, I'd take 10th right now.  But I'd hope for better.  

Motherwell seem to have things right at their academy and the way they can bring the youth thru.  Got to applaud them for that. 

Robinson was pretty open in a recent interview about prioritising pace when signing new players as other attributes can be coached. You could see last night that it makes a real difference against a certain level of team.

The danger is you bring in guff just because they're fast but we've had a few successes although they take a while to develop. Johnson and Humphrey were far better players when they left us and Hylton already looks much better. He dropped out the team when Seedorf was favoured but has obviously worked hard in training and Seedorf now needs to follow that example.

I was expecting a tough match tonight but for the first time in a while Saints were not hard to beat. They offered very little going forward as well.

Hylton was class for us again and the work rate of Polworth was incredible in forcing Saints to go longer.

IMG_5585.thumb.jpg.b3ad6764662cd5ccd47c47bc0b6a3892.jpg
That photo is tremendous. Can we just ban any other photos being posted so that stays as the cover photo forever?

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

To be fair, it took a good bit of patience to get to that point. This is probably the 4th version of Motherwell that we've had since he arrived (Staying up Motherwell, THUNDERDOME Motherwell, Davie Turnbull Balon D'or Motherwell, now we're into a dozen different scorers Motherwell). All of them seem to have taught him something else, and each version he's had has a different set of players, and a different style. Given the ups and downs the Buddies have had over the past 2 years, it'll take some time with Goodwin.

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
10 hours ago, Gianfranco said:
I was expecting a tough match tonight but for the first time in a while Saints were not hard to beat. They offered very little going forward as well.

Hylton was class for us again and the work rate of Polworth was incredible in forcing Saints to go longer.

IMG_5585.thumb.jpg.b3ad6764662cd5ccd47c47bc0b6a3892.jpg

That photo is tremendous. Can we just ban any other photos being posted so that stays as the cover photo forever?

I just clocked Robinson in the background :lol: 

Edited by thisGRAEME

I just clocked Robinson in the background [emoji38] 

Tbf all four versions of motherwell are much better than we are.

We now have a leaky defence to go with our non creative midfield and non scoring strikers.

Last night was the most gutless performance I've seen for a while

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Not sure if it’s because I binned twitter but this photo of James Scott on a horse is all new to me and, quite honestly, I could not be happier about finding it.

I'M GONNA TAKE JAMES SCOTT TO THE OLD TOWN ROAD

Just shows what can be achieved with a good manager.
I am not writing Goody off yet. This is his first season as a full time manager. He is still learning.

Motherwell fans were a bawhair away from turning on Robinson last season before he introduced a lot of the youth team. They were just ahead of us going into the winter period.

55 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Robinson was pretty open in a recent interview about prioritising pace when signing new players as other attributes can be coached. You could see last night that it makes a real difference against a certain level of team.

The danger is you bring in guff just because they're fast but we've had a few successes although they take a while to develop. Johnson and Humphrey were far better players when they left us and Hylton already looks much better. He dropped out the team when Seedorf was favoured but has obviously worked hard in training and Seedorf now needs to follow that example.

Even as early as that game against Morton in the LC you could see you were riddled with pace. I said then you'd be a good team this year.

It's direct football, but in a good way. 

25 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I am not writing Goody off yet. This is his first season as a full time manager. He is still learning.

Motherwell fans were a bawhair away from turning on Robinson last season before he introduced a lot of the youth team. They were just ahead of us going into the winter period.

There was a small section of the fans ready to bin him but, for the most part, everyone was happy for him to stay on. We radically changed how we wanted to play football going from the 3-5-2 hammer throwers to getting a couple of wingers in and realising the best midfielder in the country was chilling in our under 20s team until about November. 

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

There was a small section of the fans ready to bin him but, for the most part, everyone was happy for him to stay on. We radically changed how we wanted to play football going from the 3-5-2 hammer throwers to getting a couple of wingers in and realising the best midfielder in the country was chilling in our under 20s team until about November. 

^^^^ Pretty much this.

That small section who were ready to bin him were generally folk who were raging he'd got the job in the first place for various reasons so they took their chance to stick the boot in. It was the same voices who'd resurrect the #RobinsonOut thread on Steelmen if we lost a couple of games or have their public meltdowns on Twitter.

For the most part I think the more rational thought it looked like he'd taken us as far as he could and that there was a fair chance he'd move on in the summer. Even after getting pumped out the cup by County there wasn't the same sort of reaction as there was after McGhee's last game against Dundee.

Whether it's revisionism or not Robinson admits himself that the way we were playing at that point made it easier for fans to turn. Nobody complained when we were chucking bodies about but getting to cup finals. That was less the case when we were hoofing our way to a 1-0 defeat at home to St Mirren and half our team was out injured.

Getting Ariyibi and Hastie into the team and switching to a 433 changed everything though.

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

These would roughly be the same folk that think Robinson just got lucky with Turnbull and Hastie. 

However, anyone who watched Scott's performance last night will know different. Most 'Well fans, myself included, thought he should go out on loan this summer as he wasn't ready to play at this level just yet. The way Robinson's handled him though since the split last season and over these last 6 months shows, the man might just actually know what he's doing. 

On the match, I thought we were very decent. While guys like Polworth and Hylton continue to be absolute ballers and rack up the assists, their work rate and defensive diligence without the ball was equally impressive. First 20 mins or so were a bit of a scrap but once we got the opening goal, we settled down and played some good football. 

Also my first time properly seeing Bevis Mugabi and I loved almost every second of it. 

Edited by Casagolda

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

^^^^ Pretty much this.

That small section who were ready to bin him were generally folk who were raging he'd got the job in the first place for various reasons so took their chance to stick the boot in. It was the same voices who'd resurrect the #RobinsonOut thread on Steelmen if we lost a couple of games. 

For the most part I think the more rational thought it looked like he'd taken us as far as he could and that there was a fair chance he'd move on in the summer. Even after getting pumped out the cup by County there wasn't the same sort of reaction as there was after McGhee's last game against Dundee.

Whether it's revisionism or not Robinson admits himself that the way we were playing at that point made it easier for fans to turn. Nobody complained when we were chucking bodies about but getting to cup finals. That was less the case when we were losing 1-0 to St Mirren at home and half our team was out injured.

Getting Ariyibi and Hastie into the team and switching to a 433 changed everything though.

The 3-5-2 was great when it worked and atrocious when it didn't. Watching us absolutely demolish Aberdeen & Rangers in the semi finals of both cups was absolutely great fun it has to be said.