Saints v The Well 4/12/19

That was utter shite. Worst performance this season easily. Sam Foley was a huge loss - hopefully back for Hamilton game. It didn't help when Mackenzie went off but can't be used as an excuse.

Big changes needed for Sat. At least one of Mcallister or durmus needs to start - we have no pace without them. We couldn't deal with Motherwell's intensity and pace tonight. 

Fair play to Motherwell thought youse played well but we were woeful.

Onto Hamilton.

Edited by buddie2711

I was expecting a tough match tonight but for the first time in a while Saints were not hard to beat. They offered very little going forward as well.

Hylton was class for us again and the work rate of Polworth was incredible in forcing Saints to go longer.

IMG_5585.jpg

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Shout-out to Liam Donnelly being absolutely fucking class tonight btw.

The change in Donnelly from the shambling wreck of last season is properly bizarre and he massively strolled it tonight.  The nice thing about both our midfield and forwards this season is that despite it being rare that they all have a brilliant game at the same time, they seem to take it in turns (and it was Donnelly's turn in midfield tonight).

We were competent tonight, looked like we knew what we were doing and when there was a bit of quality, it mainly came from us and that was enough. We are used to very physical games in our league but I thought St Mirren were probably the least physical team we've played - they were pretty soft in all honesty.

Great to see Scott have a good game tonight - maybe the spell out the team will have helped him as he looks like he could be a properly good player in time.

Time to be greedy and look for 9 out of 9 points for the week against Hearts at Fir Park....

That was absolutely grim viewing we were absolute dross all over the park. With Gary Mac going off leaves us in dire straights at back until Jan.

Motherwell looked brilliant the boy Scott and 14 whoever that was ripped us apart. Looked capable of scoring anytime they attacked us. Well fans must be happy first time I've seen them this year men against boys tonight

Observations

- never before seen the ball boys get a warm up before the match

- nice of the ‘Well fans to applaud St Mirrens first shot on 89 minutes

- what are the rules about parking round the stadium during an ‘event’, is it parking but no waiting?

For those St. Mirren fans that left early, you did manage a shot on target in the 90th minute although it was an easy enough save. You really should have scored in injury time though when you hit the post and then shot the rebound straight at Gillespie when your striker had all the time in the world.

After another slow start I thought we were in complete control with Hylton and Scott a constant threat. I was impressed by Mugabi (one challenge in the second half in particular) - did anyone hear if there was a reason for Hartley missing out?

Robinson obviously started with Scott to win the high balls against the left back but it quickly became clear he could easily  beat him on the deck also and he gave him a torrid time.

The only downside for me that Seedorf didn't look up for it at all when he came on. You would have thought he would be looking to make an impression up against a demoralised defence but he didn't put in much effort at all.

Obviously and not even with hindsight Mackenzie's injury was the significant factor in the match although I'm not sure if he could have done anything about the first goal, what impressed me was the confidence Scott had, a quality that seems to be totally lacking from our creative players/strikers at present - how many times did we get into decent positions only to pass the ball backwards and lose any momentum we had? What more to say - the second goal was sloppy and effectively ended the game, the third even sloppier and if Well had wanted to boost their GD even more I feel they would have.

What next for Saints - we've got another five games this month and a paper-thin squad especially at the back, we can only hope we hang in there till the January window opens...

I think Hartley was struggling with illness at the weekend, sure I heard Robbo say that post match.

Avoided the game and watched it on Alba there, an absolute stroll, St Mirren are terrible, was possibly an easier win than our canter against the other saints.

Not much mentioned on here, but Andrew Dallas' inane ability to get just about every single decision wrong is nothing short of astounding.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

The change in Donnelly from the shambling wreck of last season is properly bizarre and he massively strolled it tonight.  The nice thing about both our midfield and forwards this season is that despite it being rare that they all have a brilliant game at the same time, they seem to take it in turns (and it was Donnelly's turn in midfield tonight).

We were competent tonight, looked like we knew what we were doing and when there was a bit of quality, it mainly came from us and that was enough. We are used to very physical games in our league but I thought St Mirren were probably the least physical team we've played - they were pretty soft in all honesty.

Great to see Scott have a good game tonight - maybe the spell out the team will have helped him as he looks like he could be a properly good player in time.

Time to be greedy and look for 9 out of 9 points for the week against Hearts at Fir Park....

Donnelly was last seasons hate figure for one or two who write of young players before they have time to develop. Thank god we have a manager with a little more patience than some. Polworth another that despite having the highest number of assists in the division has to put up with a level of stick of late with some even wanting him dropped.

1 minute ago, Yorky said:

Donnelly was last seasons hate figure for one or two who write of young players before they have time to develop. Thank god we have a manager with a little more patience than some. Polworth another that despite having the highest number of assists in the division has to put up with a level of stick of late with some even wanting him dropped.

Stephen Robinson was far harsher in his criticism of Donnelly than supporters were - he didn't play enough to become much of a discussion. He got his arse kicked about his fitness levels, took it and has come back this season looking like a good player at our level - so I don't think patience was an issue.

If anyone other than a couple of perma-roasters off Steelmen has been giving Polworth stick, I'd be amazed - to me, only Gallacher has been a more effective player in our team this season.

6 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Donnelly was out his depth at centre back and not quick enough to be a right back. I don't think anyone was impressed with him on the ball either.

Fair play to him because he has really worked on his game. Much better touch and a solid passer. Still slow as shite though which is the reason he gets a booking almost every week.

The game really changed tonight once we worked out we had the numbers in the middle of the park and Donnelly and Polworth started getting on the ball.

Watch my recording on Alba after my shift.

Scott, Mugabi, Donnelly all great.

St Mirren were so shite considering how much I read about them being good but unlucky or some shite like that

Jermaine Hylton is really beginning to find his stride and show himself as a more rounded player. His contribution to the third goal was brilliant and even better was how many players we had bursting a gut to get there to put the ball in the net.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Watch my recording on Alba after my shift.

Scott, Mugabi, Donnelly all great.

St Mirren were so shite considering how much I read about them being good but unlucky or some shite like that

It appears we certainly have been reserving the worst performances for Motherwell but no matter. Whether you lose playing well or lose playing badly, it's still the same outcome for us.