Arbroath v Dundee

Arbroath have for sure assembled a very decent team at the moment. Confident, great team spirit with no little skill as well. The first 40 minutes were as good a performance as I’ve seen from any team this year. Committed tackling, closing down, neat passing out of tight situations, breaking at speed with real threat and a real quality goal. They should really have gone in at HT more than 1 up. The second half was more 50/50, both teams had chances but Bobby Linn definitely missed the gilt edged chance to score the winner, unmarked 12 yards out with just the keeper to beat and he blasted it over.
Marshall at left back being the exception, we started with the team most of us have been screaming out for and we offered very little. We really should be delivering more by now. Dorrans is nowhere near the influence he should be, Ness, possibly through injury (although that’s not a surprise) hasn’t influenced proceedings thus far either. I always thought Hemmings first spell with us had a degree of luck and I fear at the moment we are seeing the real player. He’s half decent but that’s about it. Johnson looks far more likely to score to me. People have been slagging off Cammy and Gowser all season but Dorrans, Hemmings, Byrne and Ness have been more disappointing to me. Looks like McPake isn’t going anywhere soon so we will just need to suck it up for now. The play-offs were always the target, that shouldn’t really be a struggle to achieve, but it that’s how it’s turning out.

I met a great bunch of Arbroath peeps yesterday had lunch in the Boatyard - a really cool place and it was a very enjoyable day - even the result felt like a point won rather than 2 dropped which was what I expected.

Great post. [emoji1303]

Glad you enjoyed your day.

I was worried about Dorrans but he spent most of his time taking the ball off the two centre halfs and trying to hit worldie long passes. Byrne was non existent. McGowan coming on really changed things for Dundee in my opinion. Had a great wee spell after he came on and sure that's when you's scored.

Thought we were fantastic again yesterday, World class goal from Linnaldo and could have easily been 2 or 3 up at the break, Dundee as expected came out with a bit more fight second half and it was more 50/50, We were well worthy of the win but it speaks volumes that we are classing it 2 points dropped and gutted drawing with a team like Dundee, hope all there fans had a great day out, great atmosphere and brilliant to have this derby back 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 Smokies & Pehs.

Great post. [emoji1303]

Glad you enjoyed your day.

I was worried about Dorrans but he spent most of his time taking the ball off the two centre halfs and trying to hit worldie long passes. Byrne was non existent. McGowan coming on really changed things for Dundee in my opinion. Had a great wee spell after he came on and sure that's when you's scored.

Agree with all that. Dorrans trying to hit worldies and Byrne non existent have been consistent features of the season.

Christmas day out to Arbroath with the boys, what a trip! A festive spread on the train, Westport Bar pre match, and then to the game.

Dire stuff from Dundee all in to be honest, and Linn should have won it at the end. Looked a lovely goal he scored but it was up the other end so I may be mistaken. I’ll check the highlights later on. I got the feeling that the Dundee fans weren’t best pleased about the equaliser because they really didn’t deserve anything from the game. The defence looks hopeless, and the midfield really blunt. In Johnson and Hemmings you’ve got two decent strikers who will take chances, but there’s just not enough service. I thought McDaid was rubbish.

Went to Bar 1320 after the match for a few, before hopping the train back down the road. Special mention to the steak and black pudding pies which were probably the best I’ve had at the football. All the best to Arbroath. Dundee though, you really need to get rid of McPake. There’s no identity in that team (rich from a Dandy, granted) and the players should be performing at a much higher level.

Disappointed at dropping two points, but who could possibly criticise Bobby Linn for not scoring when through in the second half, considering how good he was and has been throughout his time at the club. And his goal today was a thing of beauty.

Everyone played well but, a great team performance with terrific work by Kader and Virtanen and well supported by the other nine.

Forster should have been sent off for his cynical taking out of Stewart who would have been past the last defender and was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. A foul is a foul whether it is committed in the first or last minute of a game, but the ref bent the rules to Dundee's advantage in only showing a yellow card.

McGowan made a difference when he came on and Dundee probably had their best spell of the match after the substitution. Expected much more from Dorrans but he was fairly inconspicuous.

With 5 minutes to go, to strike fear into the Dundee defence, we brought on Luke Donnelly for Bobby Linn. But I can't remember if he actually got a kick of the ball? Overall a good, competitive team performance against one of the "big" teams in the league.

20 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Forster should have been sent off for his cynical taking out of Stewart who would have been past the last defender and was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. A foul is a foul whether it is committed in the first or last minute of a game, but the ref bent the rules to Dundee's advantage in only showing a yellow card.

The ball was heading wide and possibly even completely away. Indeed, there was a player on the wing (number 8, I think) who was more likely to reach it had play been allowed to continue. 

To therefore call it a "clear" goalscoring opportunity is stretching the definition of "clear" somewhat.

Edited by The Master

The ball was heading wide and possibly even completely away. Indeed, there was a player on the wing (number 8, I think) who was more likely to reach it had play been allowed to continue. 

To therefore call it a "clear" goalscoring opportunity is stretching the definition of "clear" somewhat.

I was at the seaside terracing at the game but after seeing it on the highlights this is probably right

Still think Stewart (or McKenna) would've definitely got there and it would've been a good goal scoring opportunity one way or the other, doubt he would've been clean through on goal though

Can see why a yellow was given but it's still extremely frustratinh