Aberdeen v Sevco Scotland Ltd

20 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Pondering our midfield options with Ojo and Bryson both out and thinking, 'Christ, what I'd give to have Dom Ball back for this'. 

Things can't be that bad, surely?

Anyway with Lewis, McKenna, Ferguson and Cosgrove you've a decent 'spine' so I'm not sure why there's so much negativity.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Things can't be that bad, surely?

Anyway with Lewis, McKenna, Ferguson and Cosgrove you've a decent 'spine' so I'm not sure why there's so much negativity.

Not sure why negativity?

Draw with 9 men bottom of the league then scrape a win against the next bottom while playing shite in general.

Nae idea either.

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Loved the second goal on Saturday as he got right back up after being fouled. GMS would have rolled 5 yards in to the box if that was him.

Can’t agree with that comment about GMS.  He surprised me during his time with us at just how resilient he was , as he took a helluva lot of clatterings.  

Strong words from the Deekster:

“Jacko is the sort of player that would make any team better and I have always felt that," McInnes said.
“I remember speaking to Ryan when Stevie went in to Ibrox and I thought he was their best midfielder. I said that to Stevie as well.
 “He is the type of boy who makes the national team better and he makes Rangers better as well.
“We made a concerted effort when we came in to build the team around him and when Russell Anderson stepped down as captain after our first year we made him captain.
“I wanted to give him that added responsibility and he had our total trust playing on the edge a wee bit.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-star-ryan-jack-receives-21021619?1

12 hours ago, big al said:

Draw with 9 men bottom of the league then scrape a win against the next bottom while playing shite in general.

We were against 9 men for 15% of the match  - doesn't tend to look good in a headline though.

$hitfest watch - from last night's EE

McInnes believes his side have what it takes to get the points tomorrow.

But he says Aberdeen will need to box clever and pick the right moments to get on top of the Gers.

The manager reckons the Reds will be picked off if they go in with a policy of all-out attack from first whistle to last.

He added: “Supporters want to see their team be aggressive and set out to win the game and I get that.

“But we’ve also got to be mindful, and the supporters will be as well, of the level of the opponent.

“We want to have aggression, but we have to have some thought to what we’re doing.

It can’t just be gung-ho and before we know it we’ve had a belt in the mouth and we’re scratching our heads about what’s happened.

“We need to be smart with our work – but more important than that we need to be confident and aggressive with our work.

Edited by tarapoa

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

But he says Aberdeen will need to box clever and pick the right moments to get on top of the Gers.

The manager reckons the Reds will be picked off if they go in with a policy of all-out attack from first whistle to last.

He added: “Supporters want to see their team be aggressive and set out to win the game and I get that.

“But we’ve also got to be mindful, and the supporters will be as well, of the level of the opponent.

“We want to have aggression, but we have to have some thought to what we’re doing.

It can’t just be gung-ho and before we know it we’ve had a belt in the mouth and we’re scratching our heads about what’s happened.

“We need to be smart with our work – but more important than that we need to be confident and aggressive with our work.

To be fair to him, the games we won last season we did just that. The two games where we played the better stuff was the game we lost 4-2 at Pittodrie and the cup tie we drew at Pittodrie. On both occasions when we went forward they were always a threat on the counter.

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Tell me what he's wrong about there?

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tell me what he's wrong about there?

If you lose 2 or 3 nothing without having laid a glove on them it feels like a wasted night.  It feels he's now treating Sevco more like he does Celtic matches - where a nut-numbing and meek defeat seems inevitable.

I'd actually settle for performances like the 2-4 league or 1-1 cup games from last season.................hopefully with a couple of key calls going our way this time  e.g. if McGregor decides to wipe someone out in the penalty area

If you lose 2 or 3 nothing without having laid a glove on them it feels like a wasted night.  It feels he's now treating Sevco more like he does Celtic matches - where a nut-numbing and meek defeat seems inevitable.
I'd actually settle for performances like the 2-4 league or 1-1 cup games from last season.................hopefully with a couple of key calls going our way this time  e.g. if McGregor decides to wipe someone out in the penalty area

You’re basing that on previous games and understandably, but he hasn’t said anything wrong in those quotes to be honest.

If we are to beat them we will need to do all those things. You’ve also not highlighted him saying we need to be confident and aggressive.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Bit of a sly dig at Rangers there by Mcinnes about Jack being their best midfielder when he went there as he was never that for us. Very good player for us but never in any way our best.

My main concern in that tabloid article is all the Jacko this Jacko that stuff for ratboy.

Was he our best midfielder at the time?  Debatable..........we had McLean, Shinnie and Christie that season too.   Best I ever saw the rat was around 2014 time (e.g. Groningen away) - he was linked with Napoli, Roma and Everton at that time - but the weegia somehow seem to feel that he's only learned to kick a ball recently.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re basing that on previous games and understandably, but he hasn’t said anything wrong in those quotes to be honest.

If we are to beat them we will need to do all those things. You’ve also not highlighted him saying we need to be confident and aggressive.

Fair comment - confident and aggressive is everything................based on Ibrox, Celtic home and both Rijeka games, these attributes have sorely been lacking in the bigger matches and can often stem from the mindset being safety first.

9 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

My main concern in that tabloid article is all the Jacko this Jacko that stuff for ratboy.

Was he our best midfielder at the time?  Debatable..........we had McLean, Shinnie and Christie that season too.   Best I ever saw the rat was around 2014 time (e.g. Groningen away) - he was linked with Napoli, Roma and Everton at that time - but the weegia somehow seem to feel that he's only learned to kick a ball recently.

Yeah the article reads like a love letter to him. Journalist says the team was built around him which was nonsense. As you say of the midfield five we played regularly around that time had other good players too he was maybe the fourth most influential to the team as good as he was for us.