Raith vs Airdrie

So let me get this right.

Both Rovers Reds are clear
Airdrie’s red is dodgy
Handball at the end is a stonewaller
And Airdrie were cheated out of that game?

[emoji23]

Also, the rule is in place that if he makes absolutely no attempt for the ball whatsoever, then it’s a red as it becomes malicious. That’s exactly what happened.

First Raith one was a definite red, Fordyce's I don't agree with and the second Raith one is another bad challenge that I think a red is fair but I wouldn't complain with a yellow for it. As for the penalty I thought at the time it was a stonewaller but can hardly see where the ball hits the defender in the replay. It doesn't matter anyway, we weren't good enough

It was a handball but it wasn’t given. Airdrie highlights IMHO show the defender changing his body and the ball flicking his outstretched arm but the angle is poor. From the stand it was clear as day hence the shout you hear on the video but it wasn’t given so it doesn’t matter.

League is there for whoever can consistently win games. Roll on next week!

6 hours ago, waysider said:

Having watched the highlights I think all 3 sending offs were justified. Our “stonewall” penalty didn’t even look as if it hit the player’s arm. The goal looked as if the scorer didn’t even try to shoot.

incidentally , a couple of posts suggest there was an incident involving Hutton. What was that?

Mr. Hutton took offense at Grant Anderson walking away with the ball after a foul call late, ran up and tried to rip it from him and they ended up on the ground where a wrestling match broke out. Hutton looked to punch GAndo on the TV feed, and the ref then issued both players yellows. GAndo didn’t deserve a yellow unless it was for time wasting, then he did, but the ref had been letting that go for a while and seemed to be adding time for it. Hutton was simply annoyed and snapped, which I understand, but was silly of him...just let the player walk off with it and he may get cautioned and the ref is likely gonna let it play a bit longer. If there is video of the incident (should be) and it gets reviewed by the league, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hutton got sanctioned.

That was fun. Tough afternoon for the ref.

With the benefit of replays: Davidson's red card was straightforward; Airdrie's was soft - wouldn't have occurred to me to think anything was amiss if it had only been yellow; Matthews might have gotten away with it with a different ref on a different day but can't have any complaints.

Penalties - tricky business innit? Bowie probably cost himself one in the first half by *not* going down, Airdrie may have cost themselves one in the second half by going down too theatrically. Both would have been soft but (again having seen replays) were technically fouls. The Benedictus one at the end - not a penalty, for me.

Watched both clubs TV highlights and I am glad the debate continued on all the cards and  incidents. So many viewpoints but in the end it's only the Ref's decisions that count. It was a close match and we need to move on. Freshening up next week looks likely but Murray should retain the shape that has worked well recently.  I saw that Conroy had scored 2 yesterday so I am ready to greet him warmly. 

Watched both clubs TV highlights and I am glad the debate continued on all the cards and  incidents. So many viewpoints but in the end it's only the Ref's decisions that count. It was a close match and we need to move on. Freshening up next week looks likely but Murray should retain the shape that has worked well recently.  I saw that Conroy had scored 2 yesterday so I am ready to greet him warmly. 

Greg aitken is a 🤡

7 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Be very surprised if the the said incident involving Hutton will get reviewed by the league.They dont care about the lower divisions

I absolutely agree, but there is always the chance someone says something and it gets looked at. That would be unfortunate, because passionate players do things they’d never think of doing on a day-to-day basis. I’ve got no objection to the two Raith reds, and Fordyce’s is clearly a red under the newer rules as he hacked the trailing leg with no attempt (hell, no opportunity) to play the ball, which is clearly serious violent conduct under the current interpretation. A few years ago, it would have been a yellow, as might Matthews have been.

I absolutely agree, but there is always the chance someone says something and it gets looked at. That would be unfortunate, because passionate players do things they’d never think of doing on a day-to-day basis. I’ve got no objection to the two Raith reds, and Fordyce’s is clearly a red under the newer rules as he hacked the trailing leg with no attempt (hell, no opportunity) to play the ball, which is clearly serious violent conduct under the current interpretation. A few years ago, it would have been a yellow, as might Matthews have been.
I think (but don't quote me on it) it would only be reviewed if the referee puts it on his report to be reviewed.
If he thinks something has went on but hasn't fully seen it, he can request it to be looked at.
But things like that are very few and far between at this level!

A tight game and a draw would probably have been fair, but if you don't manage to carve open a team when you are 11 v 10 you probably deserve to take nothing away with you. 

Well contested match played mostly between the two boxes, albeit one short of real quality from either side. Airdrie never quite managed to produce the same vivaciousness up top as we have of late. Unlike us not to get at least one goal but Raith handled the long throw and counter attacks much better than anyone else, so credit to their organisation. That being said, Smith has to score in that one on one when he is brilliantly played through. He times his run so well but fluffs his lines, alas. Would have been a very different game. Both teams could have had penalties, with the Rovers player in the first half doing the right thing by staying up and trying to score given he was one on one still, only for the Airdrie tackle the second time around to be a good one, and with Mckay being fouled early second half in the Raith box; he manages to get there first, ahead of the Raith player who is trying to take the ball under control, but who instead ends up kicking the back of McKay's foot. 

The two Raith reds are horrible tackles,the first in particular. Awful, thuggish, despicable 'tackle'. Guy should be ashamed of himself. And if Reily's ankle is broken in the second one then can only hope he is able to come back stronger. Nasty and not something you want to see in any game, albeit far less malice in that tackle than the first red.

I don't think Fordyce has kicked Vitoria with much force at all, looks a trip to me and I doubt anyone would have complained with much vigour if the yellow was shown, but hey ho, that's the risk you take. Would have been better to pull the shirt instead of sweeping the leg. 

Was it a penalty at the end? Going by the new rule regards increasing your silhouette, then probably yes, seeing he he sticks his elbow out and it hits him, but that is a daft new rule which I'd dearly love refs to ignore right across the board. 

All in all another example of Raith having a capacity to grind out games and of our inability to get any change out them.  Cannae win every week I suppose, would be too boring...

A wee favour from Falkirk against an even more depleted Raith could well see us back at the top this weekend, so long as we do the business at home. Got to try and bounce right back to winning ways. Going to be a tight old league at least for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

A tight game and a draw would probably have been fair, but if you don't manage to carve open a team when you are 11 v 10 you probably deserve to take nothing away with you. 

Well contested match played mostly between the two boxes, albeit one short of real quality from either side. Airdrie never quite managed to produce the same vivaciousness up top as we have of late. Unlike us not to get at least one goal but Raith handled the long throw and counter attacks much better than anyone else, so credit to their organisation. That being said, Smith has to score in that one on one when he is brilliantly played through. He times his run so well but fluffs his lines, alas. Would have been a very different game. Both teams could have had penalties, with the Rovers player in the first half doing the right thing by staying up and trying to score given he was one on one still, only for the Airdrie tackle the second time around to be a good one, and with Mckay being fouled early second half in the Raith box; he manages to get there first, ahead of the Raith player who is trying to take the ball under control, but who instead ends up kicking the back of McKay's foot. 

The two Raith reds are horrible tackles,the first in particular. Awful, thuggish, despicable 'tackle'. Guy should be ashamed of himself. And if Reily's ankle is broken in the second one then can only hope he is able to come back stronger. Nasty and not something you want to see in any game, albeit far less malice in that tackle than the first red.

I don't think Fordyce has kicked Vitoria with much force at all, looks a trip to me and I doubt anyone would have complained with much vigour if the yellow was shown, but hey ho, that's the risk you take. Would have been better to pull the shirt instead of sweeping the leg. 

Was it a penalty at the end? Going by the new rule regards increasing your silhouette, then probably yes, seeing he he sticks his elbow out and it hits him, but that is a daft new rule which I'd dearly love refs to ignore right across the board. 

All in all another example of Raith having a capacity to grind out games and of our inability to get any change out them.  Cannae win every week I suppose, would be too boring...

A wee favour from Falkirk against an even more depleted Raith could well see us back at the top this weekend, so long as we do the business at home. Got to try and bounce right back to winning ways. Going to be a tight old league at least for the foreseeable. 

I'm pretty sure the lad didn't get injured as a result of the second red card. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

it was a lovely through ball and a well timed run. Some credit due to Munro in the Raith goal though, he was off his line very quickly, closed the angle well, stayed big and didn't commit early. Made it much more difficult for Smith.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm pretty sure the lad didn't get injured as a result of the second red card. 

Correct,

The tackle on Reilly was completely separate i'm sure.

7 minutes ago, renton said:

it was a lovely through ball and a well timed run. Some credit due to Munro in the Raith goal though, he was off his line very quickly, closed the angle well, stayed big and didn't commit early. Made it much more difficult for Smith.

I didn't appreciate how quickly the keeper was out until I seen the highlights.  The keepers followed goalkeeping 101 to the absolute letter with that, as you say, he's out quickly, stayed big, narrowed the angle and it looks like smiths just pressed the panic button and fluffed it.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Aye you're right, keeper does everything you can ask of him and it was sufficient to put Smith off so credit to him. Have to think had that been Gallagher or Carrick they'd have handled the pressure better. Ach well! Shoulda, woulda, coulda. 

Would like to see Smith try to lift it over the keeper there as I don't think he was ever going to place it past him at either side but I wouldn't hold it against him. Not as easy a chance as it might seem.