East Fife vs Falkirk

To be fair we did get Gordon Marshall and did we not also get Stuart Burgess from them at the same time.

Also remember winning promotion against East Fife we needed to win or draw to go up and we drew 2 each, that pitch invasion was great 

You also got Hugh Hill from us at the same time,

you’re welcome!!!

We also just needed to win to go up that day, cue last game of the season 2-2 classic in front of around 7000 fans, Wee Tam McAfferty scored for us I’m sure and possibly Brian Mitchell got the other, Angus would know for def!!! 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That doesn't make up for a year plus of watching Dave Clarke football even if he did keep us up.  His tactics made mckinnons look like liverpool.

tbf to Clarke he wasnt in league 3 and the gulf between Falkirk and the rest in the top league back then was huge. I would take Clarke over McKinnon any day and he did have fantastic leather troosers !!!

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I mind him signing Nicky Walker on loan and playing him instead of Geordie Watson and he we never won a bloody game with him between the sticks.  He hen made the ludicrous decision to sell Brian Martin to Hamilton for peanuts.  Was one of the best defenders in the league ffs.

He sold Martin because he was so one footed, his comments were that he would be better asking long John silver to kick with his weaker foot. 

Madness, tho do recall Elliots giving him the POTY award when we played Hamilton and that it was barley half way through the season.

Tother East Fife history is my mate got arrested at old bayview for shouting at Gordon Marshall(East Fife then) I am sure the word hairdresser was used a lot !!

Marshall was one of my favourite keepers till Parks then McGloves

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

You also got Hugh Hill from us at the same time,

you’re welcome!!!

We also just needed to win to go up that day, cue last game of the season 2-2 classic in front of around 7000 fans, Wee Tam McAfferty scored for us I’m sure and possibly Brian Mitchell got the other, Angus would know for def!!! 

We had a tom mcafferty with us that season but he was absolutely honking and left for stenny I think.

47 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We had a tom mcafferty with us that season but he was absolutely honking and left for stenny I think.

Not the same one, our one is a Club Legend and that would have been his second or third season with us!!!

Alan Irvine is bizarrely overrated by our fans; I just don't get it. Maybe I was too young to appreciate him. I was more of a Bryan Purdie man!

The EF game in 1986 is a funny one for me, we turned up late (thanks Dad) and I was in the actual turnstyle as the cheer went up for McGuire's goal. Remember Irvine running through to net the second and EF got 2 in the last 5 minutes to make us all fill our breeks.

We had spent most of the season trying not to get promoted by losing far too many silly home games, and Jimmy Gilmour bailing us out away from home.

The standard of this league is poor, as is the Championship, but that is the state of scottish football across the board.
Actually find the 'shite standard' patter pretty tiresome. It is what it is and If you dont like it then dont go. 

See, being shite or not shite is not an indicator of entertainment. We might not see the likes of Manè Firmino or Salah in full flow, but this league can serve up enjoyment as much as any other, and that’s why this level of football survives. It’s not always about the quality of football.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Alan Irvine is bizarrely overrated by our fans; I just don't get it. Maybe I was too young to appreciate him. I was more of a Bryan Purdie man!

The EF game in 1986 is a funny one for me, we turned up late (thanks Dad) and I was in the actual turnstyle as the cheer went up for McGuire's goal. Remember Irvine running through to net the second and EF got 2 in the last 5 minutes to make us all fill our breeks.

We had spent most of the season trying not to get promoted by losing far too many silly home games, and Jimmy Gilmour bailing us out away from home.

Never really heard from him again after he left us for Liverpool just read on his wikipedia page funny he finished his playing career at East Fife.

Just now, AL-FFC said:

Never really heard from him again after he left us for Liverpool just read on his wikipedia page funny he finished his playing career at East Fife.

He turned up at Dundee United for a wee while, at the same time as the other Alan Irvine, of Crystal Palace fame.

"Our" one did not impress DU fans much, he was nicknamed "The Log"! :lol:

I have a bit of a soft spot for Alan irvine, I wrote to him back in the day, think I was about 15, didn't expect a reply yet received an 8 page hand written letter. really well written and full of good stuff. still got it up in the loft with my programmes. as other have said was quick.

16 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

I have a bit of a soft spot for Alan irvine, I wrote to him back in the day, think I was about 15, didn't expect a reply yet received an 8 page hand written letter. really well written and full of good stuff. still got it up in the loft with my programmes. as other have said was quick.

By 'Alan Irvine', do you mean Jimmy Saville?

Anyway, speaking of all this nostalgia, the last time we met on league duty at home was at the old Bayview. If I remember correctly we won 3-1. Chris Waddle was wi the Bairns & we had Stevie Archibald as our manager. Think we parted company the following week & we hardly took another point all season. There will be no world cup players on show this Saturday, so the quality has definitely fallen! 

Had fully expected not to be able to attend this game... A welcome twist of events means my weekend is as follows:

Friday night on the lash.

Saturday afternoon watching Lee Miller, and possibly some football.

Pretty chuffed with this outcome. Fife c***s.

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Anyway, speaking of all this nostalgia, the last time we met on league duty at home was at the old Bayview. If I remember correctly we won 3-1. Chris Waddle was wi the Bairns & we had Stevie Archibald as our manager. Think we parted company the following week & we hardly took another point all season. There will be no world cup players on show this Saturday, so the quality has definitely fallen! 

I mind that game. Typical eamon bannon pish even with a player of  Waddles ability  playing he still struggled to get results.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Purdie would be completely lost in the modern game due to the inability of keepers now to pick up passbacks.

57 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I mind that game. Typical eamon bannon pish even with a player of  Waddles ability  playing he still struggled to get results.

I also remember that season a highlights programme at sunday teatime, might been called football first. It showed the highlights of a first div game. Partick and Falkirk had just been relegated & featured on one of the 1st week's. Both sides had a man sent off for fighting, the second one to go, ran away down the tunnel to get the other one, great stuff.