Footballers’ Autobiographies

1 hour ago, Ylf said:

clough? good ane.

Read a good one from the local journalist who covered Forest during Clough's reign. Provided you don't kiss me by Duncan Hamilton is a tremendous read. I think he kept quiet about a lot of Clough's antics at the time but had Clough's blessing from him and his family to do a book once he had passed away. 

One Hump or Two?: The Frank Worthington Story is a fascinating take on Frank's adventures on and off the field. Insightful and well written.

I’d forgot about that one. That must have been out early to mid 90s. Another great read.

My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach. Some folk might remember Gary as the host of the Tour de France and American Football on Channel 4, but his dad Stewart was born in Lossiemouth, played for many clubs in England, and was capped 4 times for Scotland with 2 of them being at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.

A fascinating read, and the antics of the SFA then make the modern lot look like the model of professionalism.

Darren Mackie's

I don't write books, but if I did then it would be about my life because I think people would enjoy finding out about what has happened in my life. The book would probably be average because my playing career has been average. I think I would enjoy writing it because it would also remind me about my favourite times as a child. It brings back good memories.

Eta: Another vote for Steve Paterson's also. Like Darren, I don't read that many books, but I found Pele's to be a page turner. Never knew about the bits about getting trapped in Macau having blown all of this money whilst playing in HK etc etc. I can only imagine that he's a superb social worker. "Well, I can relate to that..."

One Hump or Two?: The Frank Worthington Story is a fascinating take on Frank's adventures on and off the field. Insightful and well written.

IMG_0849.jpg
Definitely this, such a glorious change from the “...and Nobby chipped the ball to me to head in and that’s how we won the Cup” type stories and more of a “that’s how I shagged 20 birds and caught the clap” type read, definitely good holiday reading!!!
Also really enjoyed Peter Crouch’s book, again written a new way, while still telling his story in parts but more a list of traps and stereotypical downfalls of teammates, a few genuine laugh out load moments and a really good read!!!
IMG_0850.jpg
Also explains where those teeth came from!!!