Footballers’ Autobiographies

12 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I saw a few months ago that James Forrest had had one ghostwritten. I don't want to single him out unfairly as he's an excellent player and most footballers are fairly boring, but other than Celtic-daft children who need encouraged to read more, I can't imagine who would want to read that.

And those that do would just shoplift them anyway

As far as I can remember I've read three: George Best, Billy McNeill and Alex Ferguson (an older one, about ten years ago at least). Best's was decent, from what I recall.

If you fancy branching out into other sports I can't recommend The Game by Ken Dryden highly enough. Imagine a sportsperson who can actually string a sentence together wrote a book, and there you go.

Most football autobiographies are terrible, terrible reads - ghosted rubbish fleshed out with chapters of 'Best XI played with or against'.

Ones where the 'writer' was a madcap character are the worst of the lot.

Ferguson's was rubbish, Nobby Stiles' was reasonable and Des McKeown's was surprisingly humbling.

The revelation in Cascarino's wasn't significant in terms of his eligibility for Ireland.  He'd have been able to play, even if it had been revealed before.