Aberdeen v St Mirren St Andrews Day Massacre

Saints were excellent today. Very positive and impressive in possession.

Night and day in comparison to Ross Co, St J and Hamilton.

Fingers crossed you have more luck in front of goal [emoji106]

He should have been off, no ? 🤷‍♂️

No.

He didn’t intentionally “brush” the shoulder of Obika.

To be honest Obika just needed to stay on his feet and he had an open goal. Went down way to easy.

Thought Sainta were unlucky to come in level at half time. Played some nice football but just need to believe in themselves a bit more. Thought Aberdeen were the better team 2nd half but Saints were always dangerous. As for the penalty...
1. Could Obika have stayed up and tapped in to an empty net
2. Lewis should have been sent off
3. Andreu looked tired before penalty so was he the right man?

I think a draw would have been a fairer reflection but that's why aberdeen are at one end and we're at the other end of the table

10 minutes ago, BIG BEN said:

Thought Sainta were unlucky to come in level at half time. Played some nice football but just need to believe in themselves a bit more. Thought Aberdeen were the better team 2nd half but Saints were always dangerous. As for the penalty...
1. Could Obika have stayed up and tapped in to an empty net
2. Lewis should have been sent off
3. Andreu looked tired before penalty so was he the right man?

I think a draw would have been a fairer reflection but that's why aberdeen are at one end and we're at the other end of the table

1. Yes

2. No (see previous posts for explanation)

3. No idea

Guest Bob Mahelp

Rasellik match aside, we'd been strolling through games nicely until about the 55th minute at the Fermerdome last week. 

That was the point where McInnes decided to be a clever khunt, and mix up a side and tactics that had been working nicely. 35 minutes later it was only Fermer mentalness that probably stopped us losing all 3 points. 

Fast forward to today and Deek decides that the tombola needs a dusting off.....at home to St Mirren....so we change the defence, midfield and even the attack. The result ? A disorganised shambles that saw St Mirren pour through the gaps pretty much at will, and our defence apparently unable to mark 6 foot tall guys in zebra costumes at free kicks and corners. 

Where to start ? Well, why drop Logan for Vyner....because he missed a chance from 6 yards out last week ? Up front, Main and Cosgrove played well together last week....so now we drop Main, leave Cosgrove isolated up front again, and bring in the utterly ineffective Gallagher. 

Back to the defence. It must have seemed like genius to drop Devlin, move Leigh from midfield to left-back and move Considine into central defence. Except it looked like the back 4 had never met each other before. 

Leigh moving into defence meant that we brought in Dean Campbell. A decent young player, but what does he actually do ? He doesn't score goals or create chances, and he's not a hard man defensive midfielder......he's like a weaker, more ineffective version of Lewis Ferguson, and I'm not sure he's ready to start. 

Thankfully we had Cosgrove, McGinn and Lewis today. The only 3 who can say that they looked a wee bit like they knew what they were meant to be doing. 

Wednesday is going to be a fucking hoot. I can't wait to see what machinations he comes up with to keep the score down below 6. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Rasellik match aside, we'd been strolling through games nicely until about the 55th minute at the Fermerdome last week. 
That was the point where McInnes decided to be a clever khunt, and mix up a side and tactics that had been working nicely. 35 minutes later it was only Fermer mentalness that probably stopped us losing all 3 points. 
Fast forward to today and Deek decides that the tombola needs a dusting off.....at home to St Mirren....so we change the defence, midfield and even the attack. The result ? A disorganised shambles that saw St Mirren pour through the gaps pretty much at will, and our defence apparently unable to mark 6 foot tall guys in zebra costumes at free kicks and corners. 
Where to start ? Well, why drop Logan for Vyner....because he missed a chance from 6 yards out last week ? Up front, Main and Cosgrove played well together last week....so now we drop Main, leave Cosgrove isolated up front again, and bring in the utterly ineffective Gallagher. 
Back to the defence. It must have seemed like genius to drop Devlin, move Leigh from midfield to left-back and move Considine into central defence. Except it looked like the back 4 had never met each other before. 
Leigh moving into defence meant that we brought in Dean Campbell. A decent young player, but what does he actually do ? He doesn't score goals or create chances, and he's not a hard man defensive midfielder......he's like a weaker, more ineffective version of Lewis Ferguson, and I'm not sure he's ready to start. 
Thankfully we had Cosgrove, McGinn and Lewis today. The only 3 who can say that they looked a wee bit like they knew what they were meant to be doing. 
Wednesday is going to be a fucking hoot. I can't wait to see what machinations he comes up with to keep the score down below 6. 

Just a few thoughts on the above:

Logan’s defensive frailties will be the reason he was dropped, not the miss last week

Confusion at the back was due to it being a back 3 until we went 2-1 up, not sure where you’re comment on a back 4 comes from?

On a number of occasions, Campbell was the one who looked to get himself some space and play a positive pass as opposed to some others who were happy to let the ball rotate round the back 3. He’s absolutely in a position to start. There is a need to have someone capable on the ball who doesn’t score goals or create chances.

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Just a few thoughts on the above:

Logan’s defensive frailties will be the reason he was dropped, not the miss last week

Confusion at the back was due to it being a back 3 until we went 2-1 up, not sure where you’re comment on a back 4 comes from?

On a number of occasions, Campbell was the one who looked to get himself some space and play a positive pass as opposed to some others who were happy to let the ball rotate round the back 3. He’s absolutely in a position to start. There is a need to have someone capable on the ball who doesn’t score goals or create chances.

I did say that Campbell is a decent player, but he simply doesn't have a defined role in the team at this moment. He's not a box to box midfielder, he doesn't score goals or create chances, and he isn't a Simmie type ball winner. He's neat and tidy with the ball but IMHO we need more than that.

Logan hasn't been at his best, but he was no better or worse than anybody else last week. And you're correct about the formation....we started with 4 defenders but bizarrely lined up with a back 3. A formation that has never worked for Aberdeen under McInnes but one he still tinkers with from time to time. 

If he persists with this kind of nonsense on Wednesday, we'll get thumped without doubt. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I did say that Campbell is a decent player, but he simply doesn't have a defined role in the team at this moment. He's not a box to box midfielder, he doesn't score goals or create chances, and he isn't a Simmie type ball winner. He's neat and tidy with the ball but IMHO we need more than that.

Logan hasn't been at his best, but he was no better or worse than anybody else last week. And you're correct about the formation....we started with defenders but bizarrely lined up with a back 3. A formation that has never worked for Aberdeen under McInnes but one he still tinkers with from time to time. 

If he persists with this kind of nonsense on Wednesday, we'll get thumped without doubt. 

Campbell is the man to keep the ball moving so Ferguson can play further forward.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Campbell is the man to keep the ball moving so Ferguson can play further forward.

As has been the case for the last couple of years, we're still very vulnerable in the massive gap that we always seem to have between our central midfielders and central defence.

Ojo was signed specifically to fill this gap. I'm not sure that this is Campbell's ideal position, I still think he's physically too weak to play that holding role. 

Talking about midfielders, Bryson is out again. Anyone know for how long ? He's looking like a massive waste of money. 

I think it's too early to make any definitive calls on how Campbell will turn out. I can understand his tactical role, but there's plenty of work to be done with him yet - there is definitely a case to be made for him becoming more assertive and being a bit more positive, although hopefully that will come with age and experience. I thought he was a bit better here than games he started earlier in the season. I think I'd probably still go with Vyner over him on Wednesday and Logan at right-back in a four, but it does have a slight feeling of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic about it. 

McGinn must have been involved in a fairly big percentage of our goals this season, either scoring or playing an important role in the lead-up. It was another good finish and again highlighted his importance to this team. 

On a more negative note, Gallagher was again nothing short of an empty jersey. He is a McGhee player in a McInnes team.