Worst XI since France 98

Jacky1990

Seeing the worst XI posts on the various league forums got me thinking of the amount of dross we've had in the national team over the paat 20 years or so.

So heres my worst XI since the 98 World Cup. Tried to keep it to players with 5 caps or more to weed out the one cap wonders, but do as you please.

GK - Rab Douglas: (19 caps/0 goals) we've been relatively lucky with goalkeepers recently with Gordon, McGregor, Marshall and Sullivan all being more than capable. Bit harsh on the big man who was always decent rather than good or bad, but big Rab is the weakest number one we've had.

RB - Robbie Stockdale: (5 caps/0 goals) proof that not everyone that plays in the EPL is a world beater. Don't think he played a competitive game which, considering he was part of the early Berti years, tells its own story. Average player simply not good enough for international football.

CB - Lee Wilkie: (11 caps/1 goal) big, lanky, possibly slightly above average SPL centre back who looked more like a basketball player. Was first choice for a period, despite looking totally unconvincing in every game.

CB - Danny Wilson: (5 caps/1 goal) the great defensive hope. Looked great when breaking through at the dead club. Good defender and very comfortable on the ball, surely to be at the heart of the Scotland defence for the next decade. Moved to Liverpool 4 or 5 years too early. His second coming at Hearts got him back in the reckoning before chasing the money at the new club. An absolute waste. 

LB - Stephen Crainey: (12 caps/0 goals) never looked comfortable at international level. Awkward on the ball and too slow. Fair play to him for making a decent career for himself but he was no Gary Naysmith.

RM - Paul Devlin: (10 caps/0 goals) does anyone remember any of Paul Devlin's 10 caps? Does Paul Devlin even remember? Further proof playing in the EPL doesnt make you a good international player.

CM - Gareth Williams: (5 caps/0 goals) looked to have a good future after starring for Notts Forest before injury haulted any progress. Not his fault, but a sign of the dross the Berti had to work with.

CM - Gary Caldwell: (55 caps/2 caps) hear me out. A very good centre back that would walk into the current team. However, seeing Craig Levein play him at centre mid, at home, in a must win game against Serbia boiled my piss. Suffered from the Charlie Mulgrew falicy of thinking he was a cultured defender because he took 4 or 5 touches before launching it forward. Had no right to be playing in midfield. But played there for a good few games over his career and was a man down on each occasion. Also an utter p***k of a man (nope, still not over his recent managerial spell).

LM - Gary Teale: (13 caps/0 goals) worked hard and had pace. That was about it. Dont remember him doing anything of note even though he was part our most succrssful team recently. 

ST - Kevin Kyle: (10 caps/1 goal) him and Scott Dobie are, for me, the epitome of our team under Berti. A donkey of a footballer.

ST - Chris Martin: (17 caps/3 goals) yes, there have been worse strikers, but no one has come close to pissing me off in a Scotland top more. Despite an impressive club record at Derby, I've never seen such a slow a professional player. Was also a big part of Strachan's "i know better than you" routine as he was keeping Griffiths out the team at the time. Thankfully the current management seem to have forgotten he exists.

Manager - Craig Levein: Four. Six. Fucking. Zero.

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hard on Rab tbf. Did Scott Fox ever grab a cap?, certainly made squad. If he did, then him. Thistles obsession with him is disturbing

Made the squad for matches against Norway & USA in November 2013 but never played.

Edited by GNU_Linux

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hard on Rab tbf. Did Scott Fox ever grab a cap?, certainly made squad. If he did, then him. Thistles obsession with him is disturbing

Agree, always thought he was alright, but probably the weakest of our recent regular keepers.

Fox only ever got in the squad as squad filler. 

Douglas has played in some big games, was he not in goals for the uefa cup final?

Can’t put him in as he’s the only player I’ve ever seen encouraging opposition players and  applauding them. He also destroys any pitch invaders.

I think he was unfortunate in that he made occasional errors in big games.

Harsh on Douglas

Scott fucking Bain has two caps. I can't believe he isn't playing junior. The 5 cap limit surely the only thing saving him here
3 caps for Bain (Mexico, Kazakhstan and San Marino) and puts him as the joint closest to the 5 cap mark with Gilks and Neil Alexander.