Clyde vs Dumbarton

Too many players playing crap just now but we can't drop them without bringing utter shite into the team like Wallace, Smith, Petkov or Lowland league jobbers like Allison and McMullin. We've went from being unbeaten at home for a year to losing 3 on the bounce. Home again next week versus Forfar we really need a win there.

Love and Lyon were out on the pitch before kick off so hopefully they aren't far of coming back. I heard that Rankin is only a few weeks away too. Fingers crossed Howie is ok.

Agree regards Wallace and perhaps Smith who looks a bit part L1 player but the former i just dont know his position at all and neither did dozen guys n gals around me when i asked recently...  

However Mcmullan i thought had a very good 1st half and perhaps tired 2nd before replaced by a summer signing..!

We were 1up and should have kicked on,Poor defending and severley lacking someone to put the boot in when they were stroking it around very comfortable in long spells didnt help either..

Concerning but im sure DL will sort it

We should have had a couple more in the end ( looking at you here Stef...) and our counter attacking play was pretty effective. 

Clyde huffed and puffed with the majority of possession but never really got anywhere. I’d take Chris Johnston back at the Rock though, he looked a very tricky player in flashes. 

Apply pay at the turnstile was a highlight. Clyde ahead of their peers there. 

Well that was an enjoyable afternoon. I wasn't even feeling cold due to wearing six fucking layers plus hat and scarf. I was fearing that the missed chances would come back to haunt us but gladly didn't. I'm delighted for Joe McKee getting off the mark for us as he's probably my favourite current player. I thought Isaac took his goal well. Even though it looked like it was on a plate for him (great ball from Tumilty btw), he still had a bit of work to do since the keeper was closing in on him. Brennan had a couple of good saves today including one from Goodwillie which should've absolutely been finished by him. I was saying to my mate that it's a relief to have a keeper with decent distribution after the shambles of Grant Adam firing the ball into the dugout last season. The referee was shambolic for both teams today. His worst effort being giving us a goal kick when Tumilty had conceded a corner. Tumilty even gave him a big fucking hint by blasting the ball of the wall out of frustration. Anyway, happy Saturday Sons!

We are not at all pretty on the eye, but like a moist dod of dogshit stuck on your shoe, we are difficult to get rid of.

A very welcome three points and viewed from the heart of the Clyde support, the home seethe was borderline Falkirkesque. If that's a word.

If Duffy can wheel and deal during the window who knows what could happen ?

Thought Kyle Hutton was a stand out for Dumbarton today too. I don't think he played in our previous meeting? Dumbarton definitely looked a lot steadier in midfield to me today with him in the side.
Aye, he was an unused sub that day.
Sorry to break it to you, but even though you're in League 1, it's still the seaside league...
I think because they spent so long in the bottom rung of the spfl, they probably think they're back in the big time now. Bless.

Interesting that DL has a go at the players for hitting long balls, when he's just spent three games trying to turn Mr Annan into some sort of Simon Mensing-esque target man. Then throws McNiff and Petkov up front for the last ten minutes. He also has a pop at a referee who I didn't think was that bad to be honest, apart from not dealing with the time-wasting sooner.

I know we're constantly rotating because of who is actually fit but we are an absolute shambles just now, with no consistency of selection or game plan. I agree with him that others need to step up when DGW isn't playing well, but he was so unbelievably bad today that he was messing up any attacks that we did muster. Hard to be a midfielder when the target isn't pulling his weight. Which player does he expect to step up though, apart from maybe Johnston? The non-league left winger? The attacking midfielder with 6 goals in nearly 100 games? 

Dumbarton only looked like scoring once they were 2-1 up. They defended that lead very comfortably. Fair play to Duffy; he has started with the wrong set-up twice against us this season and changed it both times.

Good news is that we've got a Glasgow cup tie in which to pick up more injuries on Tuesday.

We were very poor today, cuddihy had one of his worst games in a Clyde shirt. 

Goodwillie is clearly unfit, he hardly moves for a ball. We played into dumbartons hands with the long ball today. 

Injuries have totally done us this season, we need a few bodies back. We need a striker in January. 

11 hours ago, David W said:

Interesting that DL has a go at the players for hitting long balls, when he's just spent three games trying to turn Mr Annan into some sort of Simon Mensing-esque target man. Then throws McNiff and Petkov up front for the last ten minutes. He also has a pop at a referee who I didn't think was that bad to be honest, apart from not dealing with the time-wasting sooner.

I know we're constantly rotating because of who is actually fit but we are an absolute shambles just now, with no consistency of selection or game plan. I agree with him that others need to step up when DGW isn't playing well, but he was so unbelievably bad today that he was messing up any attacks that we did muster. Hard to be a midfielder when the target isn't pulling his weight. Which player does he expect to step up though, apart from maybe Johnston? The non-league left winger? The attacking midfielder with 6 goals in nearly 100 games? 

Dumbarton only looked like scoring once they were 2-1 up. They defended that lead very comfortably. Fair play to Duffy; he has started with the wrong set-up twice against us this season and changed it both times.

Good news is that we've got a Glasgow cup tie in which to pick up more injuries on Tuesday.

Listened to his post match. Agreed with some of it, but not that we played a long ball game.  In fact if we had, and invited Dumbarton on to us we might have got more room behind them

Duffy had his side well organized.  We just didn't know how to break them down around the 18 yard box, mainly down to lack of movement into space

Can only assume the 'long balls' were the multiple crosses from about 20 yards out which the big Dumbarton defenders ate up all day. Thought McMullin looked decent first half, but when he tired everything came through Johnson on the right who had nobody offering themselves for a pass, so it was just cross after cross from a poor position

We should have had the game done and dusted by half time with that much control, but being that wasteful meant it was always possible we'd pay the price. Sure enough...

That was a really weird game all in. There's little doubt that Clyde are a much better footballing team than us, they showed that when they played us off the park at the Rock in September and again for a good 25 minutes yesterday, but as soon as we started to make the game a battle then they resorted to hoofball and did little but whack crosses into the area which Brennan, McGeever and Neill dealt with superbly.

It wasn't that we were fantastic, but realistically we should've came away with more than a 2-1 win. Frizzell, McCluskey and Crossan all had chances that you would expect them to take, albeit David Mitchell deserves credit for saving two of them - even when he shouldn't have been given a chance. Games like that are fast becoming our trademark this season though, we don't relish a side taking us on at football - but if we can draw them into a physical game, defend aggressively and then hit them on the break then it suits our players down to the ground, and fair play to Jim Duffy for that. He nailed the tactical switch. It was an excellent bit of management - not for the first time this season.

Having Joe McKee back was a massive boost, and once Duffy shifted the shape around to get him on the ball more the difference was remarkable. I don't think there's a better passer of the ball in the lower leagues, I really don't, he's so efficient in possession, he opens up space for himself where there isn't any, he takes the right option 99% of the time and I think he maybe misplaced two passes all afternoon. His goal was a lovely finish too. Keeping him fit is going to be vital to how well we do this season.

After a typically uncomfortable looking start together, Hutton and Carsy grew into the game with McKee in front of them. Hutton especially flicked from a dire first half-hour where he looked unfit and lazy to bossing the midfield from that point onwards.

Defensively Reghan Tumilty had an awful first-half. He was continually beaten in the air by Michael McMullin until Duffy got Carsy to just deal with it, his positioning was poor, he looked furious and was jumping into challenges and the way he booted the ball away after conceding a corner (which, for some reason was given as a goal kick...) made him look like a walking red card. Clearly Duffy had a go at him at half-time, and he came out as a different player. Got a gorgeous assist for the second goal and strolled it.

Rico Quitongo had the hardest shift of the day dealing with Johnston, but he stuck to it and did well enough. Hooking him for McMillan late on was the right call though and he did equally well.

McGeever and Neill dealt with Goodwillie expertly, so much so as another reporter after the game said it was the quietest he's seen Goodwillie be for Clyde. Conor Brennan had few saves to make, but commanded his area really well - and, as mentioned earlier, his distribution was decent too.

Further forward Frizzell looked good when he got on the ball, but was a fair bit quieter than last week, big Isaac Layne made himself a nuisance and got a good striker's goal. His form is nothing short of unbelievable. Nine goals by November...Seriously who on earth saw that coming when we signed him? I bet even Duffy is surprised by his return - and fair play to him for that. He's definitely proving me (and a lot of others) wrong.

The only real negative was Stefan McCluskey. His touch and end product are really, really poor. He loses the ball very easily and he has a nasty habit of just fouling people as soon as he goes near them. Duffy absolutely had to get him off when he did because there was no doubt at all that he was being sent off for his next foul, whilst he'd missed an absolutely glorious chance to finally break his duck for us. I know he puts a shift in, and I know he was a good player for Morton, but I really think two seasons in Juniors have finished him off at this level. 

No point ending on a negative though. It's a third positive performance in as many weeks and, incredibly, we're only four points behind East Fife. The league is going to be ridiculously tight this season imo, and getting results like that against a Clyde team who will 100% pick up could make a massive difference come May.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Thought DL was pretty spot on in his analysis for the most part. Felt Clyde initially could have had the game wrapped up by half time.

I am slightly concerned by the lack of numbers and that Danny has been down to the bare bones for so long. It is a long season with many twists and turns to come though. Hopefully we can get injured players back: which will give us a bit more 'bite and physicality'.

Forfar next week? Tough game!

Edited by TheBigGuy

Really disappointed in DL's post match.

Him referring our team as "they" sounds dissociative. On rare games where we've collected full points DL is quick to say how the team followed instructions and his plan, but yesterday it appeared that DL had no influence over what happened. Petrov was pushed upfront which signalled that we should try to find him with the long ball. McNiff moving forward said the same, but post match it was 'their' not 'our' decision. 

We looked to build from the back in earlier games and this has been productive but yesterday we abandoned that for that hopeful ball. Whose decision was that? 

I'd be more encouraged by a 'we've identified the problems and are working on remedying that' rather than externalising it with groans about them pesky injuries and the referee.

Goal cam features a lovely double nutmeg finish from Joe McKee, and Layne smacking the camera.

And my report is here, because am I heck promoting Jan Junior's work and not my own...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/clyde-1-2-dumbarton-big-20998915

14 hours ago, SLClyde said:

cuddihy had one of his worst games in a Clyde shirt.

Never called this out as it wasn't as prominent as the game closed but yes: I couldn't agree more. He was timid, weak and indecisive more or less throughout. Didn't seem to me to be moving well, maybe even looks a bit heavier than he was.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Just watched the goal cam. Huge fan of the Clyde keeper screaming "CAMOAN TAE f**k" after every one of our attacks.

Coaching theoreticians at the SFA stand by its efficacy; I'm almost certain it's taught as part of their C licence. The view is that 60% of the time it works, every time.

I know I've been able to turn games around by the simple expedient of shouting that very thing. Science, init?