Airdrie v East Fife

Highlights backed up my thinking at the game yesterday - East Fife had a lot of possession but they did nothing with it. A couple of long range efforts, easily dealt with and a header over the bar. They look like a one man band and their one man wasn't playing.

We, on the other hand, looked like we could score every time we went forward. First time in a long, long while I've seen an Airdrie team looking so dangerous. Smith and Carrick have an extraordinary work rate. For me though, McCann at LB was MoM. He was bombing up and down and nothing much got past him. Our defence in general was pretty solid. I've been very critical of them in the past but restricting a top four rival to a few weak efforts has to be admired.

I'm not one for all the "top of the league" patter -  but as someone in the boozer last night said - we should fucking enjoy it while we can. It's been a long time coming. 

The penalty though what a decision a blatant dive not even in the box that Gavin Ross needs to hang up his whistle controversy every game he officiates. How he could buy that only he can tell you.

WAAAAHEEEY ye get some ye lose some it evens its self out over the season put your hankies away cause WE’RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE AND YOUR NO YOUR NO [emoji815]️[emoji88]

Watched it about a dozen times now and I can’t agree. Thought at the game he went down easy but initial contact is in the box. Looks like he barges with his chest. It’s a clumsy stupid attempt to withdraw from a challenge.

6 hours ago, el Gringo said:

That was grim!!

What is Duggan doing at the first goal? At one stage it looked as though he was impeding his own  Goalie!!

The penelty.....looked like it was on the line,kinda surprised it was given.

Third goal, whit a beauty.

4th goal well taken too. If only from the highlights shown Airdrie coulda had a barrowload. Bad day at the office.

The penalty though what a decision a blatant dive not even in the box that Gavin Ross needs to hang up his whistle controversy every game he officiates. How he could buy that only he can tell you.

The penalty was the correct decision. I don't even think I'm being biased by saying that. It was definitely in the box for a start and the defender dived in clumsily and made contact with Smith and not the ball.

Will get around to Darren Young' interview later but at least he did not trip up someone taking a shy. The first goal has so many players grappling and Crighton simply outjumped Higgins to set up the goal. I was 75 yards away and the Ref was much closer so he is the only one who can award the penalty , so I defer to his eyesight and knowledge of the Laws of Football.  For much of the counter attacking today Airdrie were the side more likely to score and we did, which warmed my hands.

First goal looks fine to me. Crighton's up there before he puts his hands on Higgins. As for the penalty. It's on the line and it's clear Smith is looking for it but for me, it's a clumsy challenge from Murdoch. No need for it and you're just making it easy for the ref. End of the day, Airdrie would have won comfortably even if one or both of those decisions had gone another way.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

First goal looks fine to me. Crighton's up there before he puts his hands on Higgins. As for the penalty. It's on the line and it's clear Smith is looking for it but for me, it's a clumsy challenge from Murdoch. No need for it and you're just making it easy for the ref. End of the day, Airdrie would have won comfortably even if one or both of those decisions had gone another way.

I agree that Smith, to use the Andy Walker defence, is hoping Murdoch clips him/blocks him and that clumsiness conceded the penalty. I don't like it when it is an obvious dive in any game but forwards will play the percentages.  The return match will be  "very interesting".

Like to think that one week Roberts or Miller will win MoM. Both were excellent again. Miller is doing the defensive mid role excellently alongside McKay, although Murray was rightly on McKay's case early in the game as a few times Fife players ran off him very easily. Roberts is able to get up and down the pitch excellently as do Carrick and Smith which must be a nightmare for other teams to counter whether we are defending or attacking; it's like a mobile unit that moves from 4-5-1 when defending to 4-2-4 in attack. Also the full backs get high up the pitch too, probably because the defensive block of Crighton, Fordyce, Miller and McKay covers so well. It means a lot of attack is down the wings which is excellent because Gallagher will score when the ball gets into the box regularly. Very pleasing.

EF were better a pinging the ball about in midfield but they were going nowhere and struggled when we counter-attacked. I thought the penalty was dubious but I don't think it changed the result.

20 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Will get around to Darren Young' interview later but at least he did not trip up someone taking a shy. The first goal has so many players grappling and Crighton simply outjumped Higgins to set up the goal. I was 75 yards away and the Ref was much closer so he is the only one who can award the penalty , so I defer to his eyesight and knowledge of the Laws of Football.  For much of the counter attacking today Airdrie were the side more likely to score and we did, which warmed my hands.

I finally watched it today. He gives an honest opinion from his standpoint but it was a bit overstated. He is entitled to report on what his players thought of the challenge at the first goal but like most managers and fans he would rarely speak about it , if the decision goes his way in a similar scene, and EF score. He also accuses Smith of diving but would he ever say that about any East Fife penalty award? Having watched Smith this season there have been many occasions when he has stayed on his feet when he has been in with a chance. Refs are now much more likely to spot "dives" than they were in the days of John Macdonald at Rangers, who was nicknamed Polaris by opposition fans but loved by his supporters .It's also interesting that the official EF twitter misses out these criticisms of the officials, presumably because it might incur an SPFL reaction?  

Edited by Chapelhall chap

Saturday was a hard one to take, but was coming in my opinion. Airdrie are a strong side, and they have the potential to be even better. The players seem to be enjoying their football, Complete different side to the one we played at bayview start of season. Will take something to replace them at the top.

Onto Falkirk now, fingers crossed waldos back and we can get back to 2 up top and give it a real go. I’ve every faith Darren and the boys can turn it around