Thistle Vs Alloa Battle of the bottom two

Frustrating as we should have won that. Alloa stuck to their task though and will be happy taking a point back up the road to Clackmannanshire.

We really lack creativity and at times have the inability to make a simple pass that seems clear when sitting in the stands.

I'm not exactly champing at the bit to head through to West Fife on Saturday...

Edited by jagfox99

At half time I was OK, thought we'd came back from a shite start to dominate the last 20 minutes of the first half, surely against a part time team on a heavy pitch we'd get chances in the second half as they tired, then....

nothing.

Don't think either side had a shot on target from open play in the second half, would be churlish not to mention the Cole free kick and save as the only point of quality of the whole game.

The no subs was bizarre, haven't read anything from McCall yet, was he trying to make a point to the new board that he had no options?  Or was he saving folk for Saturday? We were as stated above playing a part time team (who couldn't fill the bench) in midweek on a pitch which must have been  like running through treacle by about 30 minutes, bringing out someone fresh, even a donkey like Mansell might have changed things. Cardle gave a genuine 0/10 performance and still didn't get subbed. We've got 5 games (if no postponements) til the window opens, not much encouragement for those who didn't get on tonight.

I'm more worried this season than last despite thinking we have a better manager.  Last year I thought Alloa would collapse second half of the season but they kept digging out wins so I think they and Arbroath will also do so this season, and there isn't a Falkirk having an even worse season than us.

edit: somehow Caldwell's best 2 signings this season have been the 2 guys we picked up on half season loans on deadline day.

Edited by Fuctifano

15 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

At half time I was OK, thought we'd came back from a shite start to dominate the last 20 minutes of the first half, surely against a part time team on a heavy pitch we'd get chances in the second half as they tired, then....

nothing.

Don't think either side had a shot on target from open play in the second half, would be churlish not to mention the Cole free kick and save as the only point of quality of the whole game.

The no subs was bizarre, haven't read anything from McCall yet, was he trying to make a point to the new board that he had no options?  Or was he saving folk for Saturday? We were as stated above playing a part time team (who couldn't fill the bench) in midweek on a pitch which must have been  like running through treacle by about 30 minutes, bringing out someone fresh, even a donkey like Mansell might have changed things. Cardle gave a genuine 0/10 performance and still didn't get subbed. We've got 5 games (if no postponements) til the window opens, not much encouragement for those who didn't get on tonight.

I'm more worried this season than last despite thinking we have a better manager.  Last year I thought Alloa would collapse second half of the season but they kept digging out wins so I think they and Arbroath will also do so this season, and there isn't a Falkirk having an even worse season than us.

edit: somehow Caldwell's best 2 signings this season have been the 2 guys we picked up on half season loans on deadline day.

unless I've lost my sanity because even typing it feels wrong - McCall flung Willie Kinniburgh up front one time in a second half which was a pretty blatant "we've got no forward options on the bench I fancy" message. Wouldn't surprise me at all if a lack of subs was to call attention to the shitty options he's got - could literally just underline each name on the bench if anyone questions him on it and do a wee disapproving lower of the glasses tbh.

Whether he was actively trying to make a point or not, there really is nothing in the way of depth to this squad.

The 6 outfield players on the bench tonight were Saunders, Robson, Harkins, De Vita, Mansell and Jones.

Two guys whose legs are totally gone, two guys who are never professional footballers in a million years, a slow, mistake-prone CB, and whatever the f**k Jones actually is.

Staggeringly weak bench.

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Whether he was actively trying to make a point or not, there really is nothing in the way of depth to this squad.

The 6 outfield players on the bench tonight were Saunders, Robson, Harkins, De Vita, Mansell and Jones.

Two guys whose legs are totally gone, two guys who are never professional footballers in a million years, a slow, mistake-prone CB, and whatever the f**k Jones actually is.

Staggeringly weak bench.

Staggeringly weak is really quite spot on to be fair. I hadn't checked the subs before the game and wondered what was going on in the second half, but now I understand. 

Regardless of the quality of our bench, it's not as if the starting eleven itself wasn't packed with dross aswell.

The midfield had two of your ten-a-penny side-to-side passers in Cole and Slater, and combined with Palmer who offers nothing of note, conspired to be completely ineffectual. This is why Miller constantly drops deep to try and start his own attacks, and it's largely why we struggled to break down an Alloa team who were puffing out their hoop the entire second half. 

We don't have anyone on the bench with the clear attributes to change a game in our favour, but for the level we're at simple things like fresh legs or different personnel or a lump of wood to aim at up front can give you a chance at a decisive alternative to an absent midfield and side-to-side passing to pointless, sand-dancing wingers. 

If that option hasn't been used to make some kind of point then it's an abdication of responsibility and hardly puts credit in the bank for McCall, when he really needs it after the absolutely harrowing shiteshow at the weekend. 

Perhaps it was spin but I did hear McCall say he was so happy with how the team were playing and was so confident that a goal was coming that he didn't want to make a change.

It is a really good point for us. Midweek is always going to be difficult but even more so when we are so short of players. We have been pretty lucky so far to have avoided too many injuries but we were still down to 12 senior players  on Saturday and last night. The manager made some rather alarming comments a few weeks ago about how hard the players work and how it wouldn't be fair on them to lose their places if he brought in new faces. Hopefully he has seen now just how stretched we are. We have done pretty well to stay in contention and ideally we can keep that going until New Year. Absolutely vital that we then add at least two good signings, loans probably, who are capable of pushing for starting places. 

Edited by Waspie

Didn,t make the game last night due to work.First time I have ever heard of us struggling fitness wise.Hardly surprising when there are only 12 senior pros available after a tough game and trip to Elgin followed by an energy sapping game midweek against a full time team.The manager stated that his remit was to develop the young players and i totally support this but so far they have remained on the bench.He will know far better than me if they are ready or not and their lack of game time suggests they are not.Waspie is spot on about the need for additions but i reckon we need four.Anyway another point gained by the boys who give everything every game.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Have you seen ours ? we can't even fill it 

True, but you’re part time and don’t have the same resources.

I’d rather we had spaces on the bench than were spunking however much up the wall on the likes of Harkins and Jones, who can’t/don’t contribute anything.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’d rather we had spaces on the bench than were spunking however much up the wall on the likes of Harkins and Jones, who can’t/don’t contribute anything.

I'm all too familiar with the shitemare that is watching a relegation-threatened shambolic outfit featuring Gary Harkins, but I thought he added a slight bit of spark to Thistle at Somerset when he came on, albeit the game was over by then. Surely would have been worth throwing him on rather than refusing to make any changes at all

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Regardless of the quality of our bench, it's not as if the starting eleven itself wasn't packed with dross aswell.

The midfield had two of your ten-a-penny side-to-side passers in Cole and Slater, and combined with Palmer who offers nothing of note, conspired to be completely ineffectual. This is why Miller constantly drops deep to try and start his own attacks, and it's largely why we struggled to break down an Alloa team who were puffing out their hoop the entire second half. 

We don't have anyone on the bench with the clear attributes to change a game in our favour, but for the level we're at simple things like fresh legs or different personnel or a lump of wood to aim at up front can give you a chance at a decisive alternative to an absent midfield and side-to-side passing to pointless, sand-dancing wingers. 

If that option hasn't been used to make some kind of point then it's an abdication of responsibility and hardly puts credit in the bank for McCall, when he really needs it after the absolutely harrowing shiteshow at the weekend. 

I thought our midfield was good last night as well. Wow. 

38 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

In fairness,we are a really well resourced part time club.I agree with you,re point on having bodies getting wages but not contributing anything.That said the only senior player missing last night was Stevie Hetherington so it only gives us a squad of thirteen senior players.Over a season that will never be enough to survive in this league.

Tough evening for the players. We were OK first half and it's a pity Dario squeezed in the equaliser when he did as I thought we were reasonably comfortable, although Partick should certainly have been ahead before Trouts nicked one - missing two very good chances.

Second half we were pushed back for the whole ninety minutes. Partick didn't create many good openings, but they put plenty decent crosses into the box. As mentioned MacDonald had a top save from a free kick.

Not sure what the reason or reasons were for the second half, but we just couldn't either hold onto the ball or get up the pitch (Thomson got no change out of either centre back second 45 minutes).

Tiredness may have been a factor and we were certainly short on genuine first team players. Not sure we need many in though. Three players to come back in when fit and IMO it's more a case of quality than quantity - it's up front where we are a bit lacking.

I though Thistle played pretty well. Never quite get the criticism of Cardle - always looks a quality player to me.

Very good point though and credit to the players for digging in and their determination not to lose. Both things we can be sure they will give when required.

Tough evening for the players. We were OK first half and it's a pity Dario squeezed in the equaliser when he did as I thought we were reasonably comfortable, although Partick should certainly have been ahead before Trouts nicked one - missing two very good chances.

Second half we were pushed back for the whole ninety minutes. Partick didn't create many good openings, but they put plenty decent crosses into the box. As mentioned MacDonald had a top save from a free kick.

Not sure what the reason or reasons were for the second half, but we just couldn't either hold onto the ball or get up the pitch (Thomson got no change out of either centre back second 45 minutes).

Tiredness may have been a factor and we were certainly short on genuine first team players. Not sure we need many in though. Three players to come back in when fit and IMO it's more a case of quality than quantity - it's up front where we are a bit lacking.

I though Thistle played pretty well. Never quite get the criticism of Cardle - always looks a quality player to me.

Very good point though and credit to the players for digging in and their determination not to lose. Both things we can be sure they will give when required.
Never never had an end product Cardle

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app