Bonnyrigg Rose vs Clyde.

Result and no injuries, on that pitch which was a leveller, is superb. It will be a long way down the highlights show tonight.

We were the equivalent of a boxer soaking whatever the opposition had until they tired then sucker-punched them.

Bring on the draw!

Just glad to get through that without injuries, the park was more suitable for rugby, not a chance of a decent game of football on that surface.  Just home , shoes are caked in mud and I don’t know whether to try to clean them or just throw them out. 

Thought bonnyrigg started the better, but as the first half went on we got to grips with their style of play and made a few chances ourselves. 

Second half followed a fairly similar pattern but thankfully we managed to stick one in.

Shocking pitch, almost as bad as the referee. How we weren’t given a penalty in the first half is beyond me. 

We'll never know unless Danny lets on but I think the way we lined up was both a reaction to our draw with Stranraer and a sensible precaution in light of McGachie's presence. Remember that Stranraer, the worst team in our league, got two of their three goals and had us down to ten men just by launching a few long ones to their big forwards. If we didn't have that third defender today, I fancy Bonnyrigg would've scored by getting in behind us through McGachie.

It was a dangerous game we played all the same. We weren't very well organised at the back. But that's no more than you'd expect with three defenders who'd never played together in a tight three before. And we had conceded the middle of the park to Bonnyrigg before kick-off, in my opinion. If it's only Grant we have in there with any proven defensive qualities, then we'll almost always struggle to win the midfield as a battleground. No matter who we play.

As a result of our 'weather the storm' approach, the forwards struggled to do anything useful with possession. I thought Wylde looked unfit and between Lamont, Goodwillie and Smith there wasn't much going.

Things changed shortly after half-time. Bonnyrigg spent a lot of their energy in the first half and had nothing to show for it. We begun to get easier possession with Bonnyrigg no longer closing us down so aggressively. Some smart substitutions seemed to sense the opportunity to steal a goal and it was those that realy got us on the front foot, bringing the best of our attacking options to bear on Bonnyrigg. I think Love is a very reliably creative player, with great dig about him, which boded well in the conditions. He nicked it for us of course and we went on to shut up shop, despite having gave up our third defender. I think, most memorably, we had the athletic abilities of Tom Lang and David Mitchell to thank for the clean sheet.

All in all a good result against a half decent Bonnyrigg side in tough conditions. Roll on the next round.

It's impossible to overstate how bad that pitch was. You could see it was almost completely saturated under the surface, with the ball barely bouncing and huge chunks of turf being ripped up all over the place. Big ruts all down the side. Any number of horrendous bobbles taking the ball away from players. 

That makes the starting line-up even more bizarre. Playing Wylde/Smith out wide in a 343 was crazy. Whilst I can understand playing a back three given Bonnyrigg's approach, I can't understand playing two wingers on that pitch. Grant/Lamont neither got near Goodwillie, or picked up enough of the second balls dropping as a result of Bonnyrigg's punts forward. The change when we brought Wallace on and went back to a usual system was obvious; we were much the better side after that.

I think we got a bit lucky today but we'll take it. If we kept them to 0 we were always going through as we'd take them apart at Broadwood. Great to see Howie and Lang both back in the side and the former was terrific until going off. Mitchell again showing why we gave him the new contract. The rest worked hard, Darren Smith particularly.

I've literally no idea how the referee didn't give the penalty for the foul on Cuddihy. Defender was caught square and took him out.

Hopefully get Aberdeen in the next round.

A tough day at the office for The Rose today. Pitch conditions dictated the type of game it was and it wasn’t pretty at times, it was looking like a goalless draw until Clyde scored. We hold our head high after another Scottish Cup adventure and get back to the bread and butter of the League next week.

Well done The Rose 

3 hours ago, David W said:

No real rabbits left in the hat other than BSC maybee. If we made it through, I fancied Hearts, but they gave Airdrie a real pummeling...Celtic must be shitting it bearing in mind their last two visits to Broadwood on cup business!

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Genuinely can’t believe I’ve just read a Bonnyrigg fan on twitter claim the referee gave them nothing. 

Think they can rightly claim they should have had a penalty in stoppage time looking at Sportscene's highlights.

6 hours ago, David W said:

It's impossible to overstate how bad that pitch was. You could see it was almost completely saturated under the surface, with the ball barely bouncing and huge chunks of turf being ripped up all over the place. Big ruts all down the side. Any number of horrendous bobbles taking the ball away from players. 

That makes the starting line-up even more bizarre. Playing Wylde/Smith out wide in a 343 was crazy. Whilst I can understand playing a back three given Bonnyrigg's approach, I can't understand playing two wingers on that pitch. Grant/Lamont neither got near Goodwillie, or picked up enough of the second balls dropping as a result of Bonnyrigg's punts forward. The change when we brought Wallace on and went back to a usual system was obvious; we were much the better side after that.

I think we got a bit lucky today but we'll take it. If we kept them to 0 we were always going through as we'd take them apart at Broadwood. Great to see Howie and Lang both back in the side and the former was terrific until going off. Mitchell again showing why we gave him the new contract. The rest worked hard, Darren Smith particularly.

I've literally no idea how the referee didn't give the penalty for the foul on Cuddihy. Defender was caught square and took him out.

Hopefully get Aberdeen?! What you been smoking?