Livi V Rovers

Raith_Raver

Took us a while to adjust to playing Raith Rovers instead of Ajax and Anderlecht but we got going. First half was dire but we're not a team that plays well whilst in possession, bringing on Robinson really turned the game for us and brought Dykes into the game more. Erskine brought a bit of much needed experience and the change to a 3 back for that small period did a world of good for us. 

First penalty I'll need to see again but the second was a stone waller, Erskine was about to tuck it away and he's brought down.

Would say we deserved it and were the better team having dominated the game following Raith's goal tbf. 
Thought first half we were the better team with Raith taking their one chance. Unlucky to be behind but we weren't great....second half was one of the worst displays I've seen from a Livi side until the penalty...then we looked like ourselves. don't think we swapped to a back 3 as much as played lawless at left back until McMillan came on....even when Lamie was on he was playing as a wing back and often was further up the park than the winger

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:
13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:
Took us a while to adjust to playing Raith Rovers instead of Ajax and Anderlecht but we got going. First half was dire but we're not a team that plays well whilst in possession, bringing on Robinson really turned the game for us and brought Dykes into the game more. Erskine brought a bit of much needed experience and the change to a 3 back for that small period did a world of good for us. 

First penalty I'll need to see again but the second was a stone waller, Erskine was about to tuck it away and he's brought down.

Would say we deserved it and were the better team having dominated the game following Raith's goal tbf. 

Thought first half we were the better team with Raith taking their one chance. Unlucky to be behind but we weren't great....second half was one of the worst displays I've seen from a Livi side until the penalty...then we looked like ourselves. don't think we swapped to a back 3 as much as played lawless at left back until McMillan came on....even when Lamie was on he was playing as a wing back and often was further up the park than the winger

We went back to 352 I'm sure with Lawless playing his old wing back position, potentially had him in a free role though?

Well, I can now tick Livi’s ground off the list.

Rovers self destructing was a pain in the arse. The upset looked nailed on before the ball hit an arm in the box and they got a penalty. Losing the second goal immediately afterwards was an absolute calamity. If we could just have settled the game down again we could have possibly escaped with a replay at Starks. I missed the third goal because at 2-1 we were never coming back.

Good support through.

It would have been nice to make the next round, but losing to Premier League opposition is expected. 

Well, that wasn’t the enjoyable afternoon I’d hoped for!

Dominated possession but that was always going to be the case with the way Raith set up. We had some joy in the first half through Lawson but we were hardly raining in shots on goal. I wonder if having so much of the ball meant that it made its way to the wrong players too high up the pitch and too often? Raith has some energetic bursts forward and I can see that serving them well in the league. Sloppy goal for us to concede: second phase from a corner leading to an unpressurised shot which travelled along the deck in the middle of the goal (shout for offside?); and their only shot. The first penalty would annoy me, if I were a Raith fan, unless it was deliberate, as it’s a severe punishment when moving away from goal. Based on the 90 mins I think we deserved to win. Well done to Raith for a solid defensively display and good luck in the league. Cracking support, too.

Disappointing to hear that a likely minority have broken seats. I expect they were the same salty wee boys outside who were saying the likes of “your season ticket should he £19.99 out of Argos because you were <something naughty,  I forgot>” 😂 Don’t ruin it, boys...

Edited by crispy

I'm not Davidson's biggest fan but it is very very harsh to blame him for that. 

In any case, the error by McKay was far worse. 

A good day out though and plenty of positives to take forward for the league.  It was the same result as the Hibs game last season but the manner of the two games was poles apart. 

Full credit to Raith today.
For 70 odd minutes you did exactly what we have done to teams for years to get where we are.
I found the John McGlynn chant quite ironic however. "Just dont think youd understand" when we DO understand what it's like to have him in charge [emoji23].
The salty guys outside the ground and fighting with each other coz they cant handle a couple of shandys shouting Livi is a shitehole when you come from Kirkcaldy was also quite ironic.

However Livi today were fucking woeful.
Brown is shite. Having 3 defenders who are left footed and none of them will use their right foot is pathetic. The only thing Brown did right was flatten that boy and was actually running to get the ball when it went out for our possession.
Lamie was awful as well. Had zero urgency about him and really not convinced by him at all this season. First time I've actually missed Lithgow playing.
Souda as well. Greedy wee shite on the ball and loses it way too often.
Robinson and Erskine were the game changers.
First pen was questionable but the second was a definate pen from my angle. Dykes finish for the second was class.

Schoefields kicking wasnt great but it's his first competitive game and didnt have a single save to make all game.
I was most concerned today by the lack of communication on the park. Never heard a single shout for the ball when players were in good positions. The passing out from the back a la John Hughes was mightily frustrating.

A win is a win though.

And honest good luck to Raith for the rest of the season.

Had all but accepted we were once again out of the Scottish cup in the early rounds, Raith were very comfortable defending in numbers waiting to hit us on the counter, we offered very little goal threat in the 2nd half. Thought Schofield was needing to try the odd punt up towards Dykes instead of playing every single ball out from the back, and was wishing Sarkic hadn't left.

Anyway, it all turned on its head with a hand ball and Lawless cooly sticking the penalty away, momentum was with us and I really couldn't see us not winning it, which was compounded a minute later with Dykes getting our 2nd. Harsh on Raith to then lose another goal to another penalty, must've been gutting for them after holding out for so long, quite comfortably, then to lose 2 goals in the space of a minute.

We really were far too slow in our build up play, and as expected, looked sluggish after the 3 weeks off in the winter break, Robbo injected a bit of urgency and organisation into our attack when he came on though, I think that's what turned the game for us too. Wasn't a great watch for the home fans but we're through to the next round, that's what counts most.

13 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
35 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:
I bought one of those Livi draw tickets. Was the draw made? What was the winning number?

It was announced over the tannoy at half time

Does the tannoy in the away end work? If it does I’m going deaf. I am going deaf as it goes.

We lost 3-1 away to Hibs last season in the Cup and honestly, the games could barely have been any different.

Wouldn’t have been surprised/upset by a 3-1 loss at 3pm but a tough one to take in the end. Livi much better than us in the first half but we scored the chance when it came along and got a couple of breaks at the other end.

Second half was easy, comfortable and we were verging on the better team until the penalty. I was a long way away but it looked a reaction from Davidson to put his hand into the ball. Annoying but a penalty. McKay is pressed from kick off in a way he hadn’t been all game and suddenly we’re behind. Can’t think of seeing anything like it at all. We were never getting back into it after that and to be honest a replay was the last thing we needed anyway. Third goal a certain penalty too.

Can count ourselves unfortunate. Credit to McGlynn for a team selection that worked very well, every player put in a great shift and there genuinely seemed no danger to us for the entire second half until suddenly we’re 2-1 down. Regan Hendry was the best player on the park by a mile.

If we take some of that into the league, we’ll be just fine.

Mostly the young team - but not just them - have on several occasions have sung a racist stereotypical chant about Mendy (the one about a cock being massive, of course).
I’m not saying they are racists. I think they are ignorant. 
But this chant has to stop. Right now.I’ve tried several times to shout it down and - disappointingly - not many other rovers fans have joined me.
It’s embarrassing and a fucking disgrace. I feel so sorry for Mendy and the black players playing for Livingston and anyone else who is effected. Disgusting. 
I know that the Raith TV boys read this, please pass this on to the club and get this publicly stopped. Again, I don’t think it’s based on hatred. It’s ignorance. So call this out, educate and stop it now. 
For anyone in the away end. If it starts again. Boo it down immediately. If you don’t, you are condoning it.

That’ll be the song that Mendy himself sings and has posted on his Instagram story several times? If that was you standing up trying to shout it down today you made an absolute c**t of yourself, stay away from football in future if you’re so easily offended you absolute wet wipe. God bless x

4 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Mostly the young team - but not just them - have on several occasions have sung a racist stereotypical chant about Mendy (the one about a cock being massive, of course).

I’m not saying they are racists. I think they are ignorant. 

But this chant has to stop. Right now.I’ve tried several times to shout it down and - disappointingly - not many other rovers fans have joined me.

It’s embarrassing and a fucking disgrace. I feel so sorry for Mendy and the black players playing for Livingston and anyone else who is effected. Disgusting. 

I know that the Raith TV boys read this, please pass this on to the club and get this publicly stopped. Again, I don’t think it’s based on hatred. It’s ignorance. So call this out, educate and stop it now. 

For anyone in the away end. If it starts again. Boo it down immediately. If you don’t, you are condoning it.

Fair play for being willing to post this. It's probably a losing battle but you're spot on.