ali_91

Motherwell - St Johnstone November 30th

We played much better last week and lost. I don’t think we even learned our lessons about tracking back from last week either as it was too easy for St Johnstone to get a cross in, in the 1st half.

A better team would have scored a few against us today but St Johnstone are obviously lacking a bit of confidence just now. Their defence ain’t great either.

I thought Cole was good at holding the ball up at times again today. I’m expecting him to turn very good soon.

EKo1rLbWkAEmG75.jpg:large

Getting boring now. He can blame the player all he wants but its hard to believe they're getting the correct coaching when we're conceding goals from crosses almost every week.

I want TW to stay and make this work, I don't think we can get better and I'm terrified of a Hughes/Pressley, but its just a matter of time now for him. If/when we get scudded by Kilmarnock in a few days, theres a 10 day break to the next game, if its happening before the end of the year then thats the only time to do it.

7 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We played much better last week and lost. I don’t think we even learned our lessons about tracking back from last week either as it was too easy for St Johnstone to get a cross in, in the 1st half.

A better team would have scored a few against us today but St Johnstone are obviously lacking a bit of confidence just now. Their defence ain’t great either.

I thought Cole was good at holding the ball up at times again today. I’m expecting him to turn very good soon.

Not commiting fully to tracking back is the risk you take against St Johnstone at home to get more men up the park. St Johnstone had the first 20 minutes of the game to themselves and failed to really achieve anything.

Lovely bit of skill for Hylton at the first.

Sometimes I wonder why we even try corner routines. Just stick it 8 yards out and near the middle of the goal and Peter Hartley will get his head on it.

4th goal was a comedy. Tidy finish though.

Absolutely baltic today. Never seen as many people leaving or at least huddling up the back of the East when we are 3 goals up. Team did a great job of letting folk get into the pub a few minutes early with the game wrapped up.

During the second half my mind started drifting and for some reason I remembered the St Johnstone nicknames on here for "Fat Balding Lee Croft" and I burst out laughing. Was a hard one to explain.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

St Johnstone remind me a little bit of us in the 2014-15 season where we had a lot of pretty big "names" in the team and could occasionally create something going forward, but were soft as shite at the back and nowhere near free scoring enough to counteract that.

If the situation somehow arises where yous can cuff Rangers 6-1 to stay up it's probably worth it tbf.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Seems a strange thing to say after a 4-0'er - but can we just forget about that game and pretend it didn't happen. 

We started as badly as any game this season - we did nothing well and St Johnstone had an embarrassing amount of the ball - and with no disrespect, a good, confident team would have been leading against us in that spell. The goal on 29 mins was almost the first incisive bit of passing we did and Hylton (who I think looks to be settling in now) did really well. The game was basically won by the fact that we had a good spell at the start of the second half and the soft defending was a big help.

I think this is probably the worst I've seen St Johnstone during this spell in the Premier - they look almost as bad as we were at this stage last season and looked beaten as soon as we took the lead. "Value for money" wasn't the phrase that was running through my head when I watched May going through the motions before being hooked.

It was the first time I've seen Mazinga and he looks enjoyably manic - looking forward to jumping on that hype train..

Need to be better on Wednesday night in Paisley.

Awful.

Motherwell, as so many before them, didn't have to work particularly hard for any of their goals.  Definitely felt we missed Davidson's aerial strength when defending set pieces.

Fair play to Well though, they came out with a hunger and energy after the break to kill the game off, and managed to do so.  f**k knows why we were so passive.

They had battered us in wide areas from kick off in that second half, building up pressure and getting loads of balls into the box, and yet we did nothing about it.  The second goal was so inevitable.  Was the manager just hoping it would stop? Maybe Motherwell will get bored of attacking us all the time?  

We had plenty of possession and the ball in wide areas but created nothing of note in the first half.  A couple of half chances in the second when the game was done.

The defence is far too weak. I fail to see what sacking Wright will achieve as the same weakness will be there. He has 100% created this situation himself, but I'd still leave him to sort it out.  I hope Brown has chatted with him about exactly what our strategy is come the transfer window.  If it's go out and sign another quality wide player then maybe time for a rethink.

It did have all the characteristics of a relegation team today.  Lots of possession, and even some pretty passing, but ultimately f**k all to show for it other than gifting soft goals all over the place.

I can't really add to this other than to agree with @PauloPerth

Ralston takes a kicking from fans but he's not as bad as Kerr and Duffy have been. Main problem is he thinks he's a winger. 

I also agree formation's not the issue ... to an extent. With Ralson and Tanser we seem to have wing-backs playing as full-backs, putting all the pressure on the weakest areas. If we don't have any actual full-backs, we need to play 3 in the middle of the back. Thing is we don't have 3 centre backs. With Gordon out, the truth is we don't even have one. 

Up front isn't much better. I paid very close attention to May today. He's just hopeless now.  Chasing him around all summer, what a fucking embarrassment; waste of time and money.  We know about Kane. That leaves Hendry. 

Midfield wasn't actually too shabby and again we saw Kennedy trying to do too much, which always happens when he doesn't have any options. The rest were just making the best of a bad lot. 

Again, it's all on Tommy I'm sad to say. He needs to own this midden, and the chairman has to open up the wallet because as it is now we are nailed on for relegation. It's nearly a year since we last won an away game. A fucking year. 

Motherwell played pretty poorly, particularly first half, and a better team than us would have capitalised on what was a fairly sloppy start by them,  but they did exactly what they had to do, fair play. Can't see them finishing third but they've obviously got another gear so they've got as good a shot as Killie and Hibs I would think. Always liked Liam Polworth and was really keen on us signing him from Inverness, but I guess we made an arse of that as well as Gallagher. Still, we got Stevie May eh, that's all that mattered.

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

It's nearly a year since we last won an away game. A fucking year.

Worth mentioning this includes trips to Montrose and Forfar, who sit 6th and 9th in League One.

Agree with Paulo and Valentino in some specific points.  Kennedy ends up trying too hard and May should stop going so far left. Had two free tickets today in the Motherwell end so was a sore one having to stand up four times to clap although it did help with keeping my numb arse warm.  Spoony and May started off well linking up but after the first 20 minutes where we somehow managed to create zero chances despite Well not being able to pick out a midfielder from defence,  the teamwork ended. May wanted the ball over the defence to run on to but ended up on the touchline with Spoony or Tanser running past him eventually putting a ball into the box missing big old Steve. One of my favourite stadiums  in Scotland and a very well run club.  Poignant to be in the O Donnell stand today

St Johnstone need to cut ties with Wright ASAP. Their season is fast becoming what our last one under mccall was and they don't have an even worse Dundee United to save them this time.

44 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

St Johnstone need to cut ties with Wright ASAP. 

Disagree strongly with this.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Motherwell played pretty poorly, particularly first half, and a better team than us would have capitalised on what was a fairly sloppy start by them,  but they did exactly what they had to do, fair play. Can't see them finishing third but they've obviously got another gear so they've got as good a shot as Killie and Hibs I would think. Always liked Liam Polworth and was really keen on us signing him from Inverness, but I guess we made an arse of that as well as Gallagher. Still, we got Stevie May eh, that's all that mattered.

That is being kind. There was no sign of a 4-0 home win after 20 minutes. We were absolutely woeful. As bad as I have seen us play in a few seasons.  We could not make even simple passes. Robbo said the squad have had a bug going around and that may help explain such a woeful start. 

We are a decent side this season and have the best squad depth I can recall in many a year. All that said we have played teams this year so far that have had as much of the play if not more than us and have simply failed to capitalise on their chances.

I thought St Johnstone played some decent football but I also thought they lacked the fight that I would have seen from even a St Mirren or Hamilton team. Worrying times for them although interesting to see so many say that Wright should remain in the hot seat. Not many fans of other teams would be so loyal...... 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

There are no accurate words to describe that fourth goal. Genuinely hope the highlights package shows the whole move, as cutting any of that timid, pathetic, pish would be a disgrace.

Words won't suffice, so heres a lovely GIF to help clarify how dreadful we are defensively, and how easy it is to score against us.

They sadly cut out the very start of the move, so I'll clarify that we had a corner, which led to...

r8qBEp.gif

.. just look at how many players in blue burst into a sprint in that entire clip, maybe three if you're being kind? The boy who wins the header starts his run behind Holt when Scott picks the ball up, yet ends up so far ahead of him the covering defender has to leave the goalscorer to cover for Holt not bothering to track his man. I've absolutely no idea what Tanser is doing at all, doesnt read the situation at all and ends up ball watching while the goalscorer stands within 5 yards of him, Tanser barely makes it to the box by the time the players being able to turn, make a move, control the ball and slot it past the keeper.

Wee note that my man Vihmann is, yet again, too far away from the goalscorer you feel like he couldn't do anything, yet close enough that you think he could've. Hes too slow physically and mentally for this.

Edited by RandomGuy.