ali_91

Motherwell - St Johnstone November 30th

I noticed that the reserves were a very young team yesterday, not a first teamer in sight, which is not usually the case - there might be other reasons but  I'm assuming that given the number of games in December, we will be rotating players rather than flogging the few that were fit as has been the case the past few years.

I would probably go this as a 4-4-2 but f**k it.  Two up front is an absolute must to see if we can get May into things

Clark

Ralston - Gordon - Duffy - Tanser

Wright - McCann - Holt

Kennedy

Kane - May

40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

@thisGRAEME may be able to confirm but I've a feeling that was the game he stretched out his cramp himself.

Pretty sure that's right.

Never seen anything like it in my life, and was unaware it was even possible.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Never seen anything like it in my life, and was unaware it was even possible.

Soon to be repeated after you see Kane, clean through on goal, simultaneously sky the shot over the stand, fall over, and claim for a free kick.

39 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I would probably go this as a 4-4-2 but f**k it.  Two up front is an absolute must to see if we can get May into things

Clark

Ralston - Gordon - Duffy - Tanser

Wright - McCann - Holt

Kennedy

Kane - May

Like others I'd be happier to see Craig instead of Holt. Yes Holt is quicker and generally gets about more, and is a bit of a snidey bam, but I just feel that Craig might be the steadier head that we need away from home. Get the impression Craig would work better with Tanser also as Craig can drop back into LB which is something I can't see Holt doing comfortably in your formation. 

Also as ropey as Kerr's been, Duffy is still jsut as much of a bombscare (he should have cost us the game on Sunday) and I don't think Duffy and Gordon have played as a pair before? At least Kerr and Gordon have game time together. 

So I'd make those changes to your team and start 4-4-2 with MOH drafted in to offer some attack from the left. I'm not keen on us with 5 in the middle as we always seem too congested. I'd be happy with is Matty as a striker alongside or just behind May, as you have it. The way I see it Matty can do what Kane does in terms of harassing defenders but is just far, far better with added bonus that he can turn opponents and he can finish. Kane might be a good option off the bench to replace May, if needed, considering the Aberdeen goal was a Kennedy/Kane joint effort.

Still leaves us nothing in attack at crosses but with Gordon in the team maybe Kerr can get more forward, where he always looks better to me. But with Wright and MOH on the wings I think we'd be relying on the full-backs for crosses and I'd see some chances coming from narrower, with the wingers cutting in and McCann and Craig offering through-balls. 

Zander's earned his place in the team for another week. 

A point would be good, a win propells us a few places but Motherwell will be gunning for 3rd place.  

1-1 (May, penalty). We'll need a couple of practice penalties beforehand though to maintain our one in 3 conversion rate.  

Clark

Ralston - Gordon - Kerr - Tanser

Wright - McCann - Craig - MOH

Kennedy- May

30 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Like others I'd be happier to see Craig instead of Holt. Yes Holt is quicker and generally gets about more, and is a bit of a snidey bam, but I just feel that Craig might be the steadier head that we need away from home. Get the impression Craig would work better with Tanser also as Craig can drop back into LB which is something I can't see Holt doing comfortably in your formation. 

Also as ropey as Kerr's been, Duffy is still jsut as much of a bombscare (he should have cost us the game on Sunday) and I don't think Duffy and Gordon have played as a pair before? At least Kerr and Gordon have game time together. 

So I'd make those changes to your team and start 4-4-2 with MOH drafted in to offer some attack from the left. I'm not keen on us with 5 in the middle as we always seem too congested. I'd be happy with is Matty as a striker alongside or just behind May, as you have it. The way I see it Matty can do what Kane does in terms of harassing defenders but is just far, far better with added bonus that he can turn opponents and he can finish. Kane might be a good option off the bench to replace May, if needed, considering the Aberdeen goal was a Kennedy/Kane joint effort.

Still leaves us nothing in attack at crosses but with Gordon in the team maybe Kerr can get more forward, where he always looks better to me. But with Wright and MOH on the wings I think we'd be relying on the full-backs for crosses and I'd see some chances coming from narrower, with the wingers cutting in and McCann and Craig offering through-balls. 

Zander's earned his place in the team for another week. 

A point would be good, a win propells us a few places but Motherwell will be gunning for 3rd place.  

1-1 (May, penalty). We'll need a couple of practice penalties beforehand though to maintain our one in 3 conversion rate.  

Clark

Kennedy- May

Tl;dr - I agree with RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Clark

Kennedy- May

I'd play Holt instead of Craig, Liam's just too slow nowadays, other than that I'd be happy enough with that side, I think we'd cause them problems. 

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I noticed that the reserves were a very young team yesterday, not a first teamer in sight, which is not usually the case - there might be other reasons but  I'm assuming that given the number of games in December, we will be rotating players rather than flogging the few that were fit as has been the case the past few years.

Aye, I noticed that as well (alongside the fact it seems we've taken Don Hutchison's son on).

I've kind of got the fear when it comes to rotation tbh. The depth of the 12-18 is miles ahead of where we've been at this point in previous seasons; Mugabi, Tait, Maguire, Semple, Sloth, O'Hara, Seedorf and Scott all seem like good options to use but over thinking things and dropping players in and out definitely makes me nervous.

At the moment though, unless there are injuries I think the only question is whether we stick with Cole and Long or drop one to bring back either Scott or Seedorf. Donnelly back in for Maguire seems a straightforward enough decision.

Edited by capt_oats

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm weirdly confident about this one. 4-1.

Given the relative positions in the league, why 'weirdly' confident? I'd say that your confidence is entirely justified. 

I'm hopeful we'll nick the draw. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Given the relative positions in the league, why 'weirdly' confident? I'd say that your confidence is entirely justified. 

Because no Motherwell fan should be confident of winning any game. To me it is like tempting fate. We can be quite accommodating to teams on bad runs or at the foot of the table. It is how we roll.....well that any many other teams. 

Add to the fact St Johnstone do qualify as a bit of a bogey side past few seasons. I look at you squad and I think you have good options going forwards and a good goalie. We may edge it in defence, however recently our defensive abilities are akin to Shotts  Bon Accord circa 1885.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We don't win 4-1 often?

57 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Because no Motherwell fan should be confident of winning any game.

I've been confident every time we've played Dundee in the last two seasons.

Because no Motherwell fan should be confident of winning any game. To me it is like tempting fate. We can be quite accommodating to teams on bad runs or at the foot of the table. It is how we roll.....well that any many other teams. 
Add to the fact St Johnstone do qualify as a bit of a bogey side past few seasons. I look at you squad and I think you have good options going forwards and a good goalie. We may edge it in defence, however recently our defensive abilities are akin to Shotts  Bon Accord circa 1885.
Wish our defence was that good.

Us to have the bulk of posession, look fantastic at times, and lose.

I'm down with that Al. We haven't had a match where we've taken 3 points we didn't deserve this season, so it's long overdue!

The fixtures sit quite nicely for us if we do manage to take something from the game.  St Mirren, Hearts and Ross County are likely to lose to Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic respectively, so we could climb a few places.

Do Well fans fear getting pulled back into the bottom six, or are they do good to join the rest of us dross down here this season?

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm down with that Al. We haven't had a match where we've taken 3 points we didn't deserve this season, so it's long overdue!

The fixtures sit quite nicely for us if we do manage to take something from the game.  St Mirren, Hearts and Ross County are likely to lose to Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic respectively, so we could climb a few places.

Do Well fans fear getting pulled back into the bottom six, or are they do good to join the rest of us dross down here this season?

It's certainly possible. In Robinson's first season proper we were sitting on roughly the same points after 14 games (23 pts vs 22 at the moment) and finished 7th.

As a few of us have been talking about in this thread there were quite specific circumstances around that particular collapse.

We only took 1 point from a possible 21 in December but that coincided with us losing half our team to injury Carson, Tait, Hartley, Campbell, Cadden, Frear and crucially Moult were all either out injured or carrying injuries. Trying to replace Moult, who left for Preston at that point, also had an impact - as discussed (at length) earlier in the thread it's something we've still not really managed to do.

That run also came off the back of playing Celtic 3 times in the space of a week which I think you guys saw the effect that can have in terms of de-railing a season as well.

As @Swello mentions at the top of the page we seem to have a bit better squad depth this season and so far haven't had any injury crisis to deal with so we're maybe a bit better placed to deal with the run of games in December.

Looking at the games we've lost this season only the County game stands out as unexpected; Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers at Ibrox and Hibs at Easter Road are all fixtures where if we're not 100% 'at it' then losing isn't a massive shock however the disappointment and arguably the main concern is that in 4 of the 6 league games we've lost so far this season we've taken the lead before chucking it.

We've won our last 2 home games against Livi and Killie so I'd think Saturday should probably give us an idea of where we are at the moment. @Valentino Bolognese asked why it'd be weird to be confident about a Motherwell win given the relative league positions - I think there's still a nagging doubt around a few of us as to whether we're actually good  or whether we've just caught teams by surprise this season and we're due to be sussed out.

Edited by capt_oats

On 27/11/2019 at 13:19, Valentino Bolognese said:

Clark

Kennedy- May

I do not think Tommy will start Gordon or MOH . Since we last played Motherwell in September MOH has only had 2 x 30 minute spells. No way can he be match fit and sharp enough to start (no matter how hard he trains.) Swanson is in the same boat. Gordon also lacks match practice.

Tommy has played Wright, Kennedy and Wotherspoon that would suggest if he plays Kennedy up front, Wotherspoon would start and MOH or Swanson getting 30 minutes.

I do not believe Tommy will start 2 up front it will be the usual 4:2:3:1 and it is the question of who will replace Davidson, Craig or Holt

Clark

Ralston   Duffy   Kerr   Tanser

McCann      Holt

Wright       Kennedy       Wotherspoon

May

I hope I am wrong, as I too would like us to play 2 up front.

1 hour ago, Templar said:

I do not think Tommy will start Gordon or MOH . Since we last played Motherwell in September MOH has only had 2 x 30 minute spells. No way can he be match fit and sharp enough to start (no matter how hard he trains.) Swanson is in the same boat. Gordon also lacks match practice.

Tommy has played Wright, Kennedy and Wotherspoon that would suggest if he plays Kennedy up front, Wotherspoon would start and MOH or Swanson getting 30 minutes.

I do not believe Tommy will start 2 up front it will be the usual 4:2:3:1 and it is the question of who will replace Davidson, Craig or Holt

Clark

Ralston   Duffy   Kerr   Tanser

McCann      Holt

Wright       Kennedy       Wotherspoon

May

I hope I am wrong, as I too would like us to play 2 up front.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to guess what Tommy is going to do. 

If I was I would broadly agree,  I think your formation is what we will see on Saturday with the caveat that I expect he will want to get Gordon back in as soon as possible. He's been in full training for a wee while and there's not much opporunity to get real game time into players as we don't have the reserve league any more, and he's unliklely to sub on a defender.