The Nick of this Division

Is this the worst second tier in the history of Scottish football?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yesterday's Scottish Cup results have crystallised a thought that I've been developing for quite some time. Dunfermline getting papped out by Stranraer, Queen of the South losing at home to fourth tier opponents, Partick scraping past an East of Scotland side, Arbroath being held by Junior permadiddies and of course Morton being sent to Brora for a likely disastrous cup exit next week: none of those results should have been a shock at all to anyone who regularly watches this division. It's fucking abysmal in terms of both the overall quality of the teams as well as the standard of play. There were multiple teams who were bad enough to merit relegation from this level last season and this time round you would need at least five automatic spots to flush out all the dross.; and the once genuine gulf in quality between the second and third tiers no longer exists either. So is this Championship of 2019/20 the worst in the history of Scottish football since the 18-20 team divisions were abolished in the 1970s? What or who is responsible for piss poor performance levels and how can it be resolved? Is a financial model based on guilt tripping fans to pay fully £20 a skull to watch two completely useless rabbles most weeks sustainable in the long term, or should prices be dropped to reflect the plummeting quality on display?

Discuss.

Just now, Snafu said:

And I pointed out that this is nothing unusual and just because Morton are having a bad day then it doesn't mean the standards of the Championship have dropped. If this was a regular occurrence this season then I would agree, but if you prefer your glass half empty then its your opinion.

It's not because Morton had a bad day. As the post you just quoted pointed out as well.

Morton SHOULD see them off, but I honestly don't see us getting past Brora away from home. And Queen of the South going out to Queen's Park hardly makes things look great either. Neither does Stranraer putting Dunfermline out. Hell, Partick's result doesn't even inspire confidence.

For what it's worth, I don't actually buy it, but please stop with the "this is because Morton had a bad day" bullshit. It's not.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I wouldn't judge football at this level by the standards set at Greenock.

Given that 'Greenock' finished slap bang in midtable last season, are within touching distance of six of the clubs in the league as usual this time round and indeed have played at this level in eleven of the last twelve season, I'd say that they make an excellent benchmark for the standard at this level. And it's dung and getting worse. The Morton team that narrowly escaped relegation in a much stronger First Division in 2007/08 would wipe the floor with the jobbers getting a game at ourselves and many other clubs right now. 

Hence the thread.

Cup games are one offs. Teams lower down raise their game against superior opposition.

Its nothing new or nothing to get knickers in a twist over.

Four Championship sides being either papped out or on the brink of being papped out of the cup, in the third round, by a stack of pub teams, is in fact something new. A full time second tier club having to scrape past East of Scotland sides at home is in fact something new. It demonstrates that when smaller teams raise their game for the occasion of the cup, they're now finding it all too easy to compete with teams playing at this level because the latter are piss poor. 

As I’m a sad act I thought I’d look up the tiers of teams who’ve knocked out Championship teams in the last few years.

2014/15

Tier 1 - 4
Tier 2 - 5
Tier 3 - 0
Tier 4 - 1

2015/16
Only 9teams included as Hibs won the cup as a Championship team this year.
Tier 1 - 4
Tier 2 - 5
Tier 3 - 0
Tier 4 - 0

2016/17
Tier 1 - 6
Tier 2 - 2
Tier 3 - 1
Tier 4 - 0
Tier 5 - 1

2017/18
Tier 1 - 7
Tier 2 - 3
Tier 3 - 0
Tier 4 - 0
Tier 5 - 0

2018/19

Tier 1 - 4
Tier 2 - 2
Tier 3 - 3
Tier 4 - 0
Tier 5 - 1

So far this season
Tier 1 - 0
Tier 2 - 0
Tier 3 - 1
Tier 4 - 1
Tier 5 - 0, but Morton and Arbroath facing replays against non league opposition.

I remember during the 90s this league was of a decent standard and had quite a few internationals playing in it. It also attracted large crowds but I have to say that there was usually a big gulf between the top and bottom and there was always a whipping boys type side.

Now even part time sides outplay United spending millions. Clever training and sport science has narrowed the gap and I genuinely wouldn’t bet on any match. Does this mean that all the teams are good or bad? I’m thinking quite poor. It does seem odd that after a few years of large away crowds during which the likes of Hibs, hearts and Rangers brought thousands the standard has dropped.

Livingston were quite exciting in a way to be honest and had a bit of quality about them. Dobbie and Moffat. Other than that it’s pretty meh.

58 minutes ago, Snafu said:

No one has figured out that teams in the Lowland League might have improved over the last couple of years.

None of the Championship sides who struggled yesterday were up against Lowland League opposition though. 

Depends on what you mean by poor. Quality of football, competitiveness, gap between teams in the Championship and other divisions / leagues etc. Anyway it's good to see virginton has finally been broken. By a Highland League team 😁

Edited by RedEd