Dundee v Queens

2 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

For folk that were there, how was Osman?Does he merit a start? It's nice to have someone with a bit of height in the middle with him on emoji23.png

I thought he did well, protected the back 4 and when he got the ball he generally found a Queens player. Lyons  and Pybus  both did sterling shifts, tackling, harrying and pressing, but when they did get the ball they often gave it away again. 

If Osman is still to get fitter, he could be really useful in the middle of the park.

Goes to show how shit this league is as we’re somehow still in 4th place. Bizarre.

Sounds like Queens played some decent stuff. Although I can’t bring myself to watch the highlights.

I thought he did well, protected the back 4 and when he got the ball he generally found a Queens player. Lyons  and Pybus  both did sterling shifts, tackling, harrying and pressing, but when they did get the ball they often gave it away again. 

If Osman is still to get fitter, he could be really useful in the middle of the park.

Agree with that. Osman was very solid yesterday and as you say he generally keeps the ball at all costs. I find Pybus a frustrating player - his work rate is excellent and he continually threatens to be a star turn but often picks the wrong option at the crucial time. He has the attributes and there is a player in there but his careless distribution is holding him back.Lyons has upped his game and did a really good job yesterday.

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:
Didn't seem to hold him back too much last season.

That doesn't effect the point I made tbh.

Well, kinda does. Your claiming we cant play football on the pitch because its so bad and even Dobbie is affected, despite the fact that he scored plenty of goals on it last season, we've played some passing football on it at times and the opposition has regularly done so, and won.

Im not sure you have much of a point other than "pitch bad"

Well, kinda does. Your claiming we cant play football on the pitch because its so bad and even Dobbie is affected, despite the fact that he scored plenty of goals on it last season, we've played some passing football on it at times and the opposition has regularly done so, and won.
Im not sure you have much of a point other than "pitch bad"
- the pitch is rubbish.
- the ball regularly gets stuck in Dobbie's feet.

Neither of those statements are factually inaccurate.

- the pitch is rubbish.
- the ball regularly gets stuck in Dobbie's feet.

Neither of those statements are factually inaccurate.
True. However, you started this by suggesting the pitch is the reason we don't play much football at home. There's no evidence to back that up, even your statement about Dobbie.

The pitch is shit, that’s a given. I don’t think it had any bearing on the Queens Park result though. And I don’t think it is that much of a contributory factor in why we resort to hoofball.

When teams put our defenders under pressure they resort to shelling it forward. This was a big factor last week as neither Mercer or Brownlie are hugely comfortable on the ball. Lyon was in an unfamiliar position and Holt is so one footed it is unbelievable. Queens Park did a great job of pressing us and it was panic stations at the back.

Our midfield was equally to blame last week with no-one showing for a pass thus forcing our defence to go long.

I wasn’t in Dundee yesterday but I’d imagine having a more familiar back 4, and having Osman and El Bakhtaoui in the side aided our style of play more than the surface it was played on.

True. However, you started this by suggesting the pitch is the reason we don't play much football at home. There's no evidence to back that up, even your statement about Dobbie.
I actually didn't suggest anything. I queried if the pitch played a part. And the only reason I mentioned Dobbie was because the technical ability of the players was questioned by Fae_the_briggs and I pointed out that even Dobbie struggles to control the ball at times on it (and his technical ability is obviously excellent).

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

So you agree the pitch is indeed bad default_wink.png

I never said anywhere that I think the pitch is good,  it doesn't necessarily mean that the pitch is to blame for our players fondness hoofing the ball forward which your post inferred (as I read it.) Our back line and some midfielders are not comfortable on the ball under pressure so elect to get rid of it the easiest way they can which is to lump it away. Some players also seem to have trouble controlling the ball in less than three touches,  not only on our pitch,  compared to players of other teams who take good early control, even on our pitch,   that is what I would call lack of some technical ability. In all the poor games and bad results we've suffered at home the pitch has probably had very little influence or it's  maybe that some opposition teams adapt to it better.  Also using the pitch as an excuse for lumping the ball forward would have more credibility if we didn't also do it on better quality plastic and grass pitches. 

What's with all this stuff about our pitch? Lets just enjoy the moment.

Fantastic performance yesterday and we really should have been out of sight, then suddenly our world(us fans who were there) collapsed around us.

And then less than a minute later from despair to sheer ecstasy. 

I'm sure we have had a lot of late winners in my 50 odd years but I'm not sure I can recall such a dramatic late ending, especially against a 'so called big team'.

And now we have a wee bit of breathing space, lets hope that we can keep up the good work and beat the struggling Harry Wraggs.

I thought we had no failures yesterday and it was great to see El Bakh, Lee and Abdul back and putting in great performances.

Not watched the highlights yet, that comes next, but I thought that had to be a goal when Robbie seemed to be doing a bit of juggling.

Come on the super Queens.