Where would you rather watch your football for your team.

Never forget the memories from Brockville, the atmosphere and noise as you approached the stadium was magnificent, but the future is inevitably at Falkirk Stadium, or shall be when a 4th stand is built. Forgot to add the atmosphere at Linlithgow brought some of the old feelings back, just being able to walk ten yards to speak with someone I hadn't seen in year's usually I'd have to wave....

Edited by wullie robb
Content

Been to Brockville several times, was a shithole but a great place to watch football, especially after a couple of jars at the Drookit Duck, I would much prefer the old Starks Park, changing ends at half time used to be fun, great banter passing the away fans at the back of the main stand at half time. Shawfield, Boghead, Kilbowie, Old Firhill....... the memories

3 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I'd go right down the middle in an ideal world, put our excellent new main stand where the old main stand was at brockville and upgrade toilets, food kiosks etc and keep the rest of the terracing at brockville. In fact cover behind both goals and the hybrid would be possibly the perfect football ground :thumsup2

This is it in a nutshell. It's a totally false choice to say clubs either have to have a 100 year old crumbling money pit with no facilities and a dug latrine behind the pie stall or an all-seater lego brick coffin of a ground.

Was Forthbank the last ground in Scotland to actually build new terracing? Clubs in England have actually built modern terracing since then with Burton Albion's ground being a fantastic example of a modern update to the old fashioned football ground.

image.thumb.png.a1f116824d2c6e53c0202a929f0db9a9.png

I can understand why clubs like East Fife and Dumbarton built 2,000 seater one stand jobs and I get why clubs like Raith and Airdrie felt they had to build these big white elephant all-seater grounds that became giant wastes of money, given the situation they were in at the time. But Falkirk are a great example of a club who could turn TFS into an absolutely cracking ground by putting a bit of terracing down the side. If I was a Falkirk supporter, I'd see it as a total travesty if they build a standard fourth stand at the ground.

Old Boghead was great in the 60s but it had become totally decrepit by the time we moved. Gayfield always reminds me of it  with its similar arrangement of terracing and stand (after the stand at Boghead opposite the 'Pavilion' was condemned.)

My favourite old ground, though, was Firs Park. That was so old school, up a claustrophobic lane of tenements to the turnstiles, covered terracing to one side, uncovered behind the goals,  and even picturesque - till they built that huge concrete wall at one end. Ah the good old days!

Edited by rockson

If Boghead had been maintained in the same way that Gayfield has then I'd much rather be there. But it wasn't and the Rock does now feel like home
Very much this.

A lot of folk call our stadium soulless etc but by the end up Boghead was a crumbling shitehole and it really wasn't a great place to watch a game of football. Every seat in the current place has an excellent view and the facilities are far superior than anything we had at Boghead (in my lifetime).

55 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Not against the idea of terracing but there actually is plenty of space to build a fourth stand.

Really? I took from the back and fourth during the MC debacle that, with the playing field over there, it was a pretty narrow strip of land that was usable. C’est la vie, sorry about the error.

Very much this.

A lot of folk call our stadium soulless etc but by the end up Boghead was a crumbling shitehole and it really wasn't a great place to watch a game of football. Every seat in the current place has an excellent view and the facilities are far superior than anything we had at Boghead (in my lifetime).
People often cite the lack of atmosphere at the Rock but there were dreadful atmospheres at Boghead plenty of times. A small covered terracing round the empty sides would improve the stadium imo.

I always think Forfar is a great place to go. Old fashioned terracing on 3 sides , 1 which is covered. The banter with the old codgers when you change ends is great.
The football authorities have to take the blame for the shambles of rules in the 90s which dictated clubs have 10000 seater stadia for the Premier League. I'm pretty sure The Excelsior Stadium would never have been built as big if it weren't for that ruling. Likewise the stands at each end of Starks would never have been as big. Some of these clubs have still to really recover from the financial damage caused by this.
Some terraces however aren't great though. Montrose and Brechin have both maintained their grounds really well in recent years, but I hate standing on the side at pitch level . But that's just me.

There is plenty of space (something like 30m) on the east side to build a 4th stand and that's what I'd like to see tbh.

Also would give us room under the stand for facilities that could be used by the club/ local community.

A couple of sections of safe standing in the North and South stands would be decent though 

Could somebody mention new modern grounds having no "character" please? It's all I need for a full house.

At the majority of grounds in Scotland, if you've got enough arses in the door then you'll generate atmosphere. If you've got 300 bodies making no noise, it doesn't matter if you've got terracing or seats, the atmosphere will be shite. I enjoy the Terrace TV show as much as everyone else, but I was reaching for the sick bucket on Friday night when the segment on stadiums came on. Acting as if stadiums have some unknown spirit that encapsulates the fans every week and generates this feeling that nobody else can feel. It's just a place we go to watch something we love, nobody goes to watch a film and comes home saying they enjoyed it but the cinema lacked soul or character - why are stadiums different?

5 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Seeing as the best atmosphere at TFS was in the gazebo, then I think a low, covered terracing would be absolutely perfect for the 4th side.

totally agree with this.  In an ideal world having a proper 4th stand with all the facilites underneath would be good...but lets face it, its probably not going to happen.  Plus realistically how many empty seats would that provide each week?

A terrace would be relatively cheap(er).  Would mean some of the enjoyment of going to a game and having the 'banter' with away fans.  Thats the thing I struggle with at TFS.  At BRockville I was 99% of the time in the choir under the covered terrace.  I've always preferred to watch a  game from the side rather than behind the  goal.   However at TFS sitting behind the goal is preferable. 

I think having a terrace would be perfect...nearer the away fans, which creates better banter/atmosphere, better match day experience and although we would never return to the Brockville 'glory' days, this would at least be a big step towards it.    Also arguably more vocal support when we are up that end of the pitch..which might help the players(ok clutching at straws i know!)  Might look a bit daft consdering how big/good the main stand is but compared to what we have now its always goign to be an improvement.

Happy to come at this thread from a different perspective - staying at Somerset after the Scottish Executive pissed all over out plans for a new stadium was a prime example of a blessing in disguise. Somerset is a hole, but what a brilliant place to watch football, especially when there's a good away support in the Railway End and both teams are shooting towards their own fans. Wouldn't trade it for anything. The only thing I wish we had was a pub right beside the ground and perhaps a slightly higher level of sanitation in the toilet department.