Odd reasons for games being off

the sniper

We had a game called off quite late in the season when a freak hailstone storm hit half the village.  Neilston was clear from when you first enter all the way to beyond the shops in the Main Street.  Then there was a white division where the far half of the village was a complete whiteout.  I tweeted the game was off and folk from the other end of Neilston were messaging me with disbelief.  I suppose the weather has to stop somewhere!

Then there was the time in the final day of the season, we were at the Show Park, East Kilbride where torrential rain meant a fairly late postponement.  After getting the appropriate permission, both teams, fans and the ref all jumped in cars etc and we all headed over to Brig O'Lea and got the game on at very, very short notice.

Around 20 years ago my amateur team had a game in rural Aberdeenshire. We'd played there before and it was a great little park. On this occasion we arrived to discover that goalposts, nets etc were securely locked in a shipping container and the only guy with the key was away on holiday. Game off!

10 hours ago, Northboy said:

Around 20 years ago my amateur team had a game in rural Aberdeenshire. We'd played there before and it was a great little park. On this occasion we arrived to discover that goalposts, nets etc were securely locked in a shipping container and the only guy with the key was away on holiday. Game off!

Could have played out a nil nil draw with no shots on target. I’ve been to a few of those over the years 😀