Elgin City v Alloa Athletic

Waspie

All roads lead to Borough Briggs for this keenly anticipated tie 🤨

Our record in Elgin is mixed with two hammerings suffered in our Third Division title season, and a routine away win on League Cup business last season.

I thought Elgin looked decent at times in the game against Raith last week with Sutherland and Hester a real threat. From our point of view, hopefully the week off last week will have helped in getting some injured players back. Fingers crossed for a good cup tie. But really just an away win in any circumstances please. 

All roads lead to Borough Briggs for this keenly anticipated tie [emoji2955]
Our record in Elgin is mixed with two hammerings suffered in our Third Division title season, and a routine away win on League Cup business last season.
I thought Elgin looked decent at times in the game against Raith last week with Sutherland and Hester a real threat. From our point of view, hopefully the week off last week will have helped in getting some injured players back. Fingers crossed for a good cup tie. But really just an away win in any circumstances please. 
Away win by 3

Thought we started very well today, pinning Elgin back early on and playing some nice stuff. Didn't take advantage though and began to drop out of it as a fired up Elgin took control. Good opener as we were robbed off the ball (I see Alloa twitter guy suggesting this was a foul. Would need to see it again) with McEwan advancing and finishing well. Could have been worse too with MacDonald keeping it at 1 before half-time. Elgin deserved their lead. 

Alloa came out looking like they knew they needed to raise it and they again pushed Elgin back. Great work from Taggart to follow up on a shot from edge of box and he finished superbly, although would question keeper parrying it out. Similarly for second, fine hit by Cawley but keeper should probably have stopped it. And defending wasn't great for third either! But we were well on top second half and could have had more. I'm sure Elgin will be disappointed after a good first half that they dropped out of it so badly. Encouraging for us that we were able to lift it after a rather flat first half. Good win. Could see again how short we are on numbers but positive to have Liam Dick back. Two youngsters did well when they came on. As did the not so young Buchanan who linked things up very nicely after coming off the bench. 

Edited by Waspie

Story of the season so far for us. Playing well and dominating the pitch - go in at half time deserved 1-0 could of been more. After that we turned on kamikaze mode and yet again gifted a team a host of chances/goals. Alloa didn’t even have to make their own opportunities - we gifted them every goal. I like that we play football and don’t just hoof and run, I like that we play out from the back but if the players can’t tell when is the right time and when they should just clear the pressure then it is folly. Our defence probably has as many assists for the teams we’ve played as opposition players. We really could have won that game but good luck to Alloa in the next round!

Waspies summary pretty much deals with everything. After a good start we fell out of it. The Elgin goal was coming and we could easily have been more than one down at the break. By contrast the second half was one way traffic until the game was sealed after O'Haras third. Elgin did contribute to their own downfall- slack in defence and the keeper should have definitely saved the second. But we played some really nice stuff going forward and could have scored more than 3. Really enjoyed the day overall despite the lengthy trek.

Im always rooting for Elgin to make the step up to League 1. They have a bit of an unfair reputation of a team treading water in the bottom league. I love the ground and the setup at Borough Briggs is excellent. It must be a wee bit frustrating for their fans because that team isnt far away at all if they sorted it out at the back- some good players who caused us problems yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Im always rooting for Elgin to make the step up to League 1. They have a bit of an unfair reputation of a team treading water in the bottom league. I love the ground and the setup at Borough Briggs is excellent. It must be a wee bit frustrating for their fans because that team isnt far away at all if they sorted it out at the back- some good players who caused us problems yesterday.

Agree with this. They have a good support too, impressive numbers for a club who haven't done too much since stepping up to the Scottish League. You would think that Elgin have the setup to be a steady League 1 team with the ambition of having a crack at the Championship. Plenty of potential. 

On 23/11/2019 at 23:05, Waspie said:

Thought we started very well today, pinning Elgin back early on and playing some nice stuff. Didn't take advantage though and began to drop out of it as a fired up Elgin took control. Good opener as we were robbed off the ball (I see Alloa twitter guy suggesting this was a foul. Would need to see it again) with McEwan advancing and finishing well. Could have been worse too with MacDonald keeping it at 1 before half-time. Elgin deserved their lead. 

Alloa came out looking like they knew they needed to raise it and they again pushed Elgin back. Great work from Taggart to follow up on a shot from edge of box and he finished superbly, although would question keeper parrying it out. Similarly for second, fine hit by Cawley but keeper should probably have stopped it. And defending wasn't great for third either! But we were well on top second half and could have had more. I'm sure Elgin will be disappointed after a good first half that they dropped out of it so badly. Encouraging for us that we were able to lift it after a rather flat first half. Good win. Could see again how short we are on numbers but positive to have Liam Dick back. Two youngsters did well when they came on. As did the not so young Buchanan who linked things up very nicely after coming off the bench. 

good summary 

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

Agree with this. They have a good support too, impressive numbers for a club who haven't done too much since stepping up to the Scottish League. You would think that Elgin have the setup to be a steady League 1 team with the ambition of having a crack at the Championship. Plenty of potential. 

u r so  right very frustrating