Sign in to follow this  
Oleksandr

When does the countdown to Christmas Start?

So when does it start for you? Would it be after Halloween, perhaps after Guy Fawks day. Or seems most people start in December. Good morning Britain when they put out the christmas tree for some. When does yours start?

Starts when clocks go back and first cold weather arrives.

Haven't done Christmas presents or cards for more than a decade - not even for our kids.

I love this time of year. Dark, cold, frost and mulled wine and no obligations whatsoever towards anyone.

35 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Haven't done Christmas presents or cards for more than a decade - not even for our kids.

I love this time of year. Dark, cold, frost and mulled wine and no obligations whatsoever towards anyone.

That's the spirit. Peace and goodwill...well maybe just the peace...except for the unemployed.

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

How old are your kids? 

I saw a flat with Christmas decorations up last weekend and have seen a few more since - way too early in my book. I'll probably start feeling it from about the 15th this year as I've got a family birthday to deal with before that.20191117_172848.jpeg

Like it or not, Christmas is a Christian festival. The mass or celebration of the birth of Christ. Therefore the preparations for this festival begin on the first Sunday of Advent.

Don't shoot the messenger...

18 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Like it or not, Christmas is a Christian festival. The mass or celebration of the birth of Christ. Therefore the preparations for this festival begin on the first Sunday of Advent.

Or if you prefer, when Chris Rea puts the key in the ignition (steady Kenneth)...

If you're going by that, Advent continues until late January or into February. I'm generally happy with the old fashioned 12 days before and 12 days after for the tree etc., give or take a few days.

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Colour me shocked!

Yes. Imagine making Christmas all about family instead of buying useless tat which nobody wants. Bad oaksoft. Bad oaksoft. :lol:

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's the spirit. Peace and goodwill...well maybe just the peace...except for the unemployed.

Absolutely. Get the lazy buggers out working. Plenty of shifts available at this time of year. :P

2 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

How old are your kids? 

Old enough to complain about it but not so old that I can't soundly whip them and send them to bed early for their cheek.