When does the countdown to Christmas Start?

Oleksandr

35 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Starts when clocks go back and first cold weather arrives.

Haven't done Christmas presents or cards for more than a decade - not even for our kids.

I love this time of year. Dark, cold, frost and mulled wine and no obligations whatsoever towards anyone.

That's the spirit. Peace and goodwill...well maybe just the peace...except for the unemployed.

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Starts when clocks go back and first cold weather arrives.

Haven't done Christmas presents or cards for more than a decade - not even for our kids.

I love this time of year. Dark, cold, frost and mulled wine and no obligations whatsoever towards anyone.

How old are your kids? 

18 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Like it or not, Christmas is a Christian festival. The mass or celebration of the birth of Christ. Therefore the preparations for this festival begin on the first Sunday of Advent.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Or if you prefer, when Chris Rea puts the key in the ignition (steady Kenneth)...

Like it or not, Christmas is a Christian festival. The mass or celebration of the birth of Christ. Therefore the preparations for this festival begin on the first Sunday of Advent.
Don't shoot the messenger...
If you're going by that, Advent continues until late January or into February. I'm generally happy with the old fashioned 12 days before and 12 days after for the tree etc., give or take a few days.