Countries nobody seems to go to

tarapoa

Turkmenistan - I think I read a story last year about a couple of missionary type hippys who went there to speak to try and speak to a group of Jihadis about changing the way they view things.

Ended up being beheaded.

I remember years ago when I was about 10 there were a bunch of street kids visiting our church from Guatamala had never heard of the place and have never heard of anyone heading there since!

Edited by List_of_Jericho
ETA

2 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Turkmenistan - I think I read a story last year about a couple of missionary type hippys who went there to speak to try and speak to a group of Jihadis about changing the way they view things.

Ended up being beheaded.

I remember years ago when I was about 10 there were a bunch of street kids visiting our church from Guatamala had never heard of the place and have never heard of anyone heading there since!

I visited Guatemala a few years ago. Antigua, Lake atitlan and semi champey are incredible. Guatemala city itself was busy, run down and polluted though.

I would recommend it, the Mayan temples are something else too. 

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've got a pal in ISIS that would let him crash with them.

I heard that Hezbollah had to pay to get us to take Terry Waite back, they might not be so keen now. Better go with your guy.

On 19/11/2019 at 16:57, The Gypsy King said:

...Bermuda  

Don't think that one belongs on this thread. Very much a holiday destination, but not entirely sure why having been to Nassau for a few days break about 15 years back. Think Haiti is more the place nobody ever goes in that part of the world.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't think that one belongs on this thread. Very much a holiday destination, but not entirely sure why having been to Nassau for a few days break about 15 years back. Think Haiti is more the place nobody ever goes in that part of the world.

It was a clumsy Bermuda Triangle related joke. 

On 19/11/2019 at 17:33, Highland Capital said:

Something annoyingly smug about him, but incredibly high quality for a youtuber. Could he have done it all on his own with a selfie stick and a drone, or do you think he had a production team with him?

23 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Ended up being beheaded.

I worked there for 2 weeks in May/June 1998.

It was meant to be three weeks, but their late egotistical president decided to visit the company I was contracted to work for and the trip was put back a week.

I had a ticket for Brazil v Scotland in the Stade de France, so I had my two colleagues from Moscow and Karachi working 16 hours days to make sure I was back home in time.

The lad from Karachi used up his whole dollar allowance on an (admittedly stunning looking) gas cooker in Ashgabat on our first night, before we transported to the site 6hrs away the next day.  There were a few expats out there in the small town who had 'second wives' during their rotation. 

Gold teeth were seen as elegant there - and the latrines at the warehouse way out  at the drill site (staffed bizarrely by Argentines) was one of the worst experiences of my life - took around 5 hours to lose the dry boak.

Only time in Central Asia until our trip to Kairat Almaty four years back - fascinating part of the world, and despite the most populous of the countries, you seem to hear little of Uzbekistan.

17 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Somalia - anyone ever been?

Why would you want to? It's a very dangerous country that has been ravaged by civil war.

Read this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/somalia - "The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Somalia, including Somaliland except for the cities of Hargeisa and Berbera to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel. Any British nationals in areas of Somalia to which the FCO advise against all travel should leave. Any British nationals in Hargeisa or Berbera who are not on essential travel should leave."

"Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Somalia. There is a high threat of kidnap throughout the country. Terrorist groups have made threats against westerners and those working for western organisations. There is a constant threat of terrorist attack in Mogadishu and terrorists continue to plan attacks against westerners in the rest of Somalia, including Somaliland. "

On 20/11/2019 at 18:15, welshbairn said:

Something annoyingly smug about him, but incredibly high quality for a youtuber. Could he have done it all on his own with a selfie stick and a drone, or do you think he had a production team with him?

He is a bit of an attention seeker but the Tuvaluans seemed a nice bunch.

10 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Why would you want to? It's a very dangerous country that has been ravaged by civil war.

Read this - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/somalia - "The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Somalia, including Somaliland except for the cities of Hargeisa and Berbera to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel. Any British nationals in areas of Somalia to which the FCO advise against all travel should leave. Any British nationals in Hargeisa or Berbera who are not on essential travel should leave."

"Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Somalia. There is a high threat of kidnap throughout the country. Terrorist groups have made threats against westerners and those working for western organisations. There is a constant threat of terrorist attack in Mogadishu and terrorists continue to plan attacks against westerners in the rest of Somalia, including Somaliland. "

Aye, but apart from that...

14 hours ago, Torpar said:

After discovering there are direct flights from Toronto to Kralendijk I'm considering a holiday in Bonaire, a country I freely admit I'd never heard of before Saturday after looking up all inclusive trips to Cuba.   

I see they're campaigning for independence from Netherlands, of which they're considered a constituent part in regards elections etc.