Maths homework

53 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not an educator but I do think it’s important for expanding the mind.

The brain is a muscle (No it’s not, it’s an organ!! Shut up at the back ya wee pie!!) that needs exercise.

The more you work it, the better it gets. Narrow it to a comfort zone and it withers. Then the comfort zone retracts. And repeat...

Says the man of experience 

You'd be surprised at how much professional maths uses an iterative approach like this to creep up on an answer.
It's relatively rare to have an analytic solution where you can just plug in a value for x and then get a straight answer.
Is that not when you need to use the quadratic equation rather than an iterative process. I'm a bit of a saddo in that I can still remember it from learning it off by heart at school.

As for those asking when you would use this sort of maths, it is used in engineering for calculating forces etc. Probably more common for folk to use software these days but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to do it also.

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I think at secondary school introducing some work to be done at home is necessary, but at Primary school? Let them fire spuds at each other or whatever it is kids are up to these days.

Playing Fortnite and watching mindless drivel on Youtube is what primary school kids are up to these days.  Homework is a godsend.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Playing Fortnite and watching mindless drivel on Youtube is what primary school kids are up to these days.  Homework is a godsend.

A c**t makes $22 million a year posting videos of toy reviews on Youtube. Fortnite competitions pay out over $20 million a year. 

I'm sure you'll look back and think "really glad we had all that homework to keep them occupied" when your wee one swans in the door with a cheque for millions.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In fairness, the world of work is changing permanently.

A growing number of young people are opting out of traditional work altogether.

There are better alternatives for many people.

We might sneer at Youtubers for example but a f**k of a lot of them are earning life changing amounts of money that older generations could only dream of.

It's not for me but fair play to anyone who has a go at trying to control their future by exploiting their own creativity like this.

These are all good points, but I think a lot of them would apply equally well to those two other eggs-in-one-basket plans: "making it" as a footballer or a singer.

There's no doubt that all 3 can lead to riches beyond the avarice of man; but there's a strong self-selecting bias, in the ones of which we become aware, towards earning big multiples of the average wage in each area. Most footballer, singers, and (I confidently assert, without having data to hand) YouTubers cannot earn enough to be comfortable from those pursuits alone. But there are countless youngsters heading down those paths, completely unaware of their chances of doing "pretty well".

I suspect there may be a reinforcing mechanism, too: giving up on your education very early may well deprive you of the numeracy and reasoning skills that are taught in subjects such as maths, and that could help to see why "aiming to be a top footballer" is, on average, a poor financial strategy.

I don't disagree with your point about those giving their creativity a go; I just think that the dice may be loaded against them.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

In fairness, the world of work is changing permanently.

A growing number of young people are opting out of traditional work altogether.

There are better alternatives for many people.

We might sneer at Youtubers for example but a f**k of a lot of them are earning life changing amounts of money that older generations could only dream of.

It's not for me but fair play to anyone who has a go at trying to control their future by exploiting their own creativity like this.

I don't disagree but is that a good enough reason to not try at school?

When everyone is busy making YouTube videos, who will be watching?

1 hour ago, sugna said:

These are all good points, but I think a lot of them would apply equally well to those two other eggs-in-one-basket plans: "making it" as a footballer or a singer.

There's no doubt that all 3 can lead to riches beyond the avarice of man; but there's a strong self-selecting bias, in the ones of which we become aware, towards earning big multiples of the average wage in each area. Most footballer, singers, and (I confidently assert, without having data to hand) YouTubers cannot earn enough to be comfortable from those pursuits alone. But there are countless youngsters heading down those paths, completely unaware of their chances of doing "pretty well".

I suspect there may be a reinforcing mechanism, too: giving up on your education very early may well deprive you of the numeracy and reasoning skills that are taught in subjects such as maths, and that could help to see why "aiming to be a top footballer" is, on average, a poor financial strategy.

I don't disagree with your point about those giving their creativity a go; I just think that the dice may be loaded against them.

Indeed, for every one we hear about who makes a fortune, there are literally millions (possibly even billions) who are failing miserably and are doing nothing other than wasting their time.

There's also the fact that these "internet stars" only make money from advertising and of course we all know that some of the first budgets to be cut when a major recession hits are advertising budgets, so there's every chance that the "good times" are what we're seeing right now and rather than everyone and their untalented granny becoming overnight stars we may actually see a huge decline in these nobodies making fortunes.

Although with a world population of morons, anything's possible.

Personally I blame the creators of that Jade Goody character who somehow managed to make her famous and earn (using the word loosely) fortunes for simply being a brainless, obnoxious, moron.

What a sad society.................