Dumbarton v Forfar 23/11/19

That was unexpectedly decent. I was expecting Forfar to have something of a new manager bounce about them, but not even a whimper. We weren't great today but more than deserved the victory - a few decent performances in there too. It's the best Adam Frizzell has played since we last took on the Loons, and Jordan McMillan, the madman that he is, was absolutely outstanding. 

Delighted to see us returning to the tried and tested tactic of landing balls on Ryan McGeever's massive head, and the third goal was an absolutely gorgeous bit of route one football. Eight for the season now for Isaac Layne. Who saw that coming?

Forfar can feel pretty hard done by tonight. I thought over the piece they showed more than we did and for most of the second half I was clinging to the hope of a replay as they looked more likely to snatch a winner than we did.

Cup’s the cup though. Getting through is what matters.

Thought McMillan had a good game and was arguably our best player. Layne worked hard up top alone and took his goal well, but overplays things far too often.

Not convinced by Shiels at LB but he didn’t miss a header today and was generally pretty solid.

Amazing what happens when you forget about short corners and simply get it in the box.

Not sure what was going on with Carsy today but I thought it was another below par performance from him. Looked to be struggling at one point so could’ve been a niggle but we struggled in the middle today and he was part of the problem. Hutton did well enough. I’d have hooked PJ at half-time, another off day for him.

When’s the draw for the next round?

Forfar can feel pretty hard done by tonight. I thought over the piece they showed more than we did and for most of the second half I was clinging to the hope of a replay as they looked more likely to snatch a winner than we did.

Thought McMillan had a good game and was arguably our best player. Layne worked hard up top alone and took his goal well, but overplays things far too often.

Not convinced by Shiels at LB but he didn’t miss a header today and was generally pretty solid.

Amazing what happens when you forget about short corners and simply get it in the box.

Not sure what was going on with Carsy today but I thought it was another below par performance from him. Looked to be struggling at one point so could’ve been a niggle but we struggled in the middle today and he was part of the problem. Hutton did well enough. I’d have hooked PJ at half-time, another off day for him.

PJ Crossan was absolutely hopeless today. I reckon I've witnessed him turn in 1 good performance so far and it's got to the point that I rate McCluskey as a better option than him.

Got to agree about Carswell, he's having an absolute stinker of a season.

I do however think Forfar are a complete gang. Layne's goal was absolutely shocking from their point of view. We didn't play all that well, had 3 starters missing from the squad and we still knocked them out fairly easily in the end up.

1 hour ago, Jordo1872 said:

Tomorrow night on Sportscene. Starts 7:15 no idea when draw will be.

After about an hour, I was convinced this was going to replay. I was seriously considering a half day from work to head up to Forfar. Thankfully I don't have to. Either a winnable tie or lucrative defeat in the next round please.

A winnable away tie please. We’ll take a lucrative defeat in the semis.

That was unexpectedly decent. I was expecting Forfar to have something of a new manager bounce about them, but not even a whimper. We weren't great today but more than deserved the victory - a few decent performances in there too. It's the best Adam Frizzell has played since we last took on the Loons, and Jordan McMillan, the madman that he is, was absolutely outstanding. 
Delighted to see us returning to the tried and tested tactic of landing balls on Ryan McGeever's massive head, and the third goal was an absolutely gorgeous bit of route one football. Eight for the season now for Isaac Layne. Who saw that coming?
You are normally on the money Jan, but I think you are being overly generous here.

That was a laboured performance and victory, not because we were missing players, indeed McMillan, Shield and McLuskey each gave us a decent shift, but principally because this mental insistence on pairing two one-paced defensive midfielders, one of whom is currently right off it, is hindering us badly.

I know I bang on constantly about this but at 1-1 and fifteen minutes into the second half there was only one team looking likely, and it wasn't us. Then for reasons best known to himself Stuart Malcolm blew it by replacing Kirkpatrick and Robertson with Forbes and Docherty. When McGeever (credit due) headed home McLuskey's good corner everything changed.

A win in the Cup without replay is always welcome, so well done. But I wonder if I'm the only one who would welcome Langan getting a start over Carswell to see if we can achieve some midfield forward momentum and add support to the attack.

I wonder if there will be a new face soon with the 2 players being loaned out.If there is im guessing it will have  to be someone unattached.
Decent win today with a not inspiring performance.Main thing is Layne getting goals will really help his confidence.
I was under the impression we now had to wait until January before we could sign anyone, including free agents.

I may well be wrong mind you.

On 23/11/2019 at 18:18, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

PJ Crossan was absolutely hopeless today. I reckon I've witnessed him turn in 1 good performance so far and it's got to the point that I rate McCluskey as a better option than him.

McCluskey was surprisingly effective yesteday.

Yeah, we definitely didn't win that because we played decent. Fortunately for us, Forfar were just even more rotten than we were. They look a complete shadow of the team that have been in this league the last few seasons. It doesn't help when you lose a couple of decent players and replace them with guff like Forbes and Kirkpatrick.

Carswell is having an absolute stinker every week. But there is no way he will be dropped by Duffy, unfortunately. Hutton had the chance to control everything yesterday but the lack of movement around him stifled every chance he had to create something. We were static and flat and for most of the game simple awful.

That being said, into the next round and a nice away tie to Aberdeen. We will be blown away by them but it's a day out nonetheless! 🍻