St Johnstone vs Aberdeen

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Most places invite visitors to enjoy the local produce. Perth? Not a bit of it.

Enjoying our local produce is fine, we're just not on board with you pumping it

*Hot thread* already and still 6 days to go, this fixture is clearly the reason Sky bought the SPFL rights. Hopefully not another pish crowd for the TV audience, at least it's not a lunchtime KO. 

Our rotten defence actually did a half-decent job containing Cosgrove in the last game at Aberdeen, and Shinnie ran the show last time it was at McDairmid.

Since then we've probably regressed, and I'm worried by Cosgrove, Leigh, Fergusson, Vyner (who I thought was very good against us)  and Hedges.  From memory Aberdeen had quite a few injuries when we played the away fixture so all rational analysis points to us getting humped. Recent discussions highlight the opposition stacking against our right back/inside right areas so will be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Assume we still won't have Gordon back, don't think he played in the closed door game against United. 

In the pathetic hope that he's got 'something to prove'  and will turn in a performance,  2-1 home win (May double).

If I was an opposition manager, I'd be packing my left hand side against Saints too. Ralston and Duffy are very young and 'raw'.

Comfortable win for Aberdeen here I think. The idea of the likes of McGinn and Hedges running at our defence gives me the fear.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If I was an opposition manager, I'd be packing my left hand side against Saints too. Ralston and Duffy are very young and 'raw'.

Comfortable win for Aberdeen here I think. The idea of the likes of McGinn and Hedges running at our defence gives me the fear.

I'm hoping that Tommy has been working on stopping the opposition before they get to our defefence, to avoid them having to do any defending. 

We've been weak all over tbf but we're really vulnerable to balls that bypass our midfield as McCann and Davidson between them are good at picking up second balls and breaking up play. Spoony does track back and can defend and Wright has that in him too. 

I'm more concerne about Vyner and Leigh pinging balls up to Cosgrove. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

We seem to have hit a bit of form (Rasellik at home aside), and I suspect much of it has to do with the succesful tombola decision to play Main up alongside big Sam.  

Happened last season when McInnes went for May and Cosgrove,  they played well together, then for some bizarre reason he got a hard on for Greg Stewart and that was any semblance of consistency out the window.

I get the feeling though that after 4 months he's pretty much settled on a side that will beat the dross 8 times out of 10. Cosgrove is a much better player when he's not the only man in a red shirt doing all the work in the opponent's half. 

Never easy though against these fermer inbreds (insert upside down tractor GIF), but I'm hoping we can keep the good run going. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

i hate weird talking weirdos 

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Intae the mutton molesters tam, this appears to be a good day to bury bad news. I may not approve of the Labour Party in its current incarnation. Pheww, I think I got away with that. In other news Nicola Sturgeon is a dog, dont blame, blame me[mention=30062]19QOS19[/mention]. 

Aye.

Not sure why folk are slating the defence, they're clearly improving. We only allowed Hibernian 6 chances from within 12 yards tin the last game, 8 inside the box in total. 

Until the defence improves, we can't win games like these. Not sure we have enough in attack to trouble the top teams either. 

I think anything at all from the next three or four games is a bonus, then we need to get enough in the matches against St Mirren, Accies and County to make sure that we are in touch when the games get going again in 2020.

I'd still like to see a change of goalkeeper and although we clearly need to be solid, our problem all season at home has been getting someone close enough to the striker.

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We seem to have hit a bit of form (Rasellik at home aside), and I suspect much of it has to do with the succesful tombola decision to play Main up alongside big Sam.  

They have started together in one of our last four victories, and two games all season. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

They have started together in one of our last four victories, and two games all season. 

As I said, a succesful combination. They can only go on to bigger and better things together 😅

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m going to be disappointed if there are no steak and chorizo pies. It happened last season, no repeat on Saturday please.

To manage your expectations, I can guarantee 100% that if you turn up on Saturday you won't get a pie of any sort. Tesco next door will be open though. 

On Sunday there will be hot pies at McDairmid. I've been sending a runner to collect half time catering this season so can't say for sure, but think that with the change of supplier we no longer get the fabled S&C. 

However the new pies are very good and certainly a major upgrade on Pittodrie. 

There were steak and chorizo pies available last home match.

I stood in the HT queue for ages, missing the start of the second half, and, when I got to the front of the queue, I got to enjoy the lad next to me laughing at his good fortune with the girls behind the counter at getting the last two pies.  

A Kit Kat or f**k off. Next.

7 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

To manage your expectations, I can guarantee 100% that if you turn up on Saturday you won't get a pie of any sort. Tesco next door will be open though. 

On Sunday there will be hot pies at McDairmid. I've been sending a runner to collect half time catering this season so can't say for sure, but think that with the change of supplier we no longer get the fabled S&C. 

However the new pies are very good and certainly a major upgrade on Pittodrie. 

What a shocking error to make! My embarrassment is at a high level. 

Won’t  have that about our pies, though. They have come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've never had a Steak and Chorizo pie from McDiarmid. 

Is that not because you live close to the stadium, so have your lunch before you leave? Either that, or I’ve got you muddled up with another Saintee on here.

7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Aye, they were available against hibs, i was too angry to eat though.

You could have bought a couple to throw at Duffy.

I put myself through the torture of watching that match last night, to see if there were any positives that weren't obvious on the day.  

Not really. Duffy was truly awful, Kerr not much better, Kamberi tore Tanser to absolute bits, Ralston wasn't actually that bad but like Tanser far better going forward than defending. Zander's kicking was dire.

Spoony actually had a it of a shocker, he wasn't protecting the back line as much as needed and neither was Kennedy who had a bit of an off day. Saying that, chasing the game from the second minute was probably something to do with it. Drey Wright was interesting, I would say he was one of our better players in that 1st half but watching his performance I noticed that compared to last year he's recovered a lot of the vision and game awareness (some lovely touches and moves to create space), but whether it's fitness, the damage from the injury or the fear of another bad tackle but he's definitely nowhere near as physical as he was. He's not as quick, isn't tracking back and isn't committing to tackles. I really hope that the injury hasn't runined him. Not sure that the change at half time was the right one, putting Kennedy alongside May, taking Spoony off and bringing MOH on (leaving us Wright on the left and MOH right) might have worked better as Hendry created no impact. Still, makes no difference and it's all about the next game, and based on that I'd like to see Kennedy in the middle again. 

If I'm looking for positives there seemed to be better understanding in the team and not quite as many slack passes / balls to players not running into space. Also our crossing was better even though there's rarely anyone on the end of them. 

Another thing that was true on the day and watching it back was the turnaround in that Hibs team. Of course gifting the early goal helped them but their movement off the ball, energy and ability were miles ahead of Saints. 

Ali McCann though eh?

So for Sunday I'm thinking Zander needs a rest and Booth can't possibly be worse than Duffy, even playing CB. Surely?

Parish

Ralston    Booth    Kerr   Tanser

Wright  McCann  Muzz  Spoons

Kennedy  May

Edited by Valentino Bolognese