St Johnstone vs Aberdeen

Two managers comments say a lot about them...

TW

Saints remain bottom of the Premiership but Wright was delighted to see his side draw.

He said: “It is a great point. When you show that spirit I think you deserve a wee bit of luck. It is a deserved point too. I am really pleased for the players.

“I would have liked to have done it with 11 on the pitch but unfortunately we didn’t do that. The red cards are correct decisions.

“Murray was unlucky. TV will slow it down and it looks really bad for him but anybody who has played the game will know that the Aberdeen player has nicked the ball and he’s just late.

“Because of where he has caught him, the referee has made the right decision.

McInnes

“I need to say, in the second half we did ourselves in from a winning position but how that penalty isn’t given in the first half is incredible.

“It is a penalty every day of the week and I don’t understand why none of the four officials could see what we have all seen.”

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The worst St Johnstone team in (fill in blanks) years, and we only got a point because 2 of their players had ridiculous brainfarts. 

Hard to work that one out. Aberdeen should have been out of sight at half time without even taking the penalty into consideration. Then we started the second half like all we had to do was stroll around the park.....No, sorry. We didn't even reach the heights of strolling.

Am I right in saying that the turning point was in taking Main off ? Without playing brilliantly, Main and Cosgrove were causing Saints defence all kinds of problems together.....then we take off Main leaving Cosgrove isolated, and allowing St Johnstone much more freedom to push forward. Pretty much everyone could see the equaliser coming, aside from McInnes apparently.

It's the kind of weirdly listless and half-arse performance that deserved to be punished, and makes me dread being drawn away to Auchinleck or Broxburn in the cup. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Two managers comments say a lot about them...

TW

McInnes

You missed out the bits from TW having a go at the referee for not booking Lewis Ferguson for persistent fouling, “Lewis Ferguson is unbookable” said TW, and then he loses it with Kris Boyd for some reason!

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

You missed out the bits from TW having a go at the referee for not booking Lewis Ferguson for persistent fouling, “Lewis Ferguson is unbookable” said TW, and then he loses it with Kris Boyd for some reason!

Remember RG has a real hard-on for anything Aberdeen, and especially McInnes. 

Just let him have his wee moment of excitement, and let him keep on making a fool of himself. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The worst St Johnstone team in (fill in blanks) years, and we only got a point because 2 of their players had ridiculous brainfarts. 

Hard to work that one out. Aberdeen should have been out of sight at half time without even taking the penalty into consideration. Then we started the second half like all we had to do was stroll around the park.....No, sorry. We didn't even reach the heights of strolling.

Am I right in saying that the turning point was in taking Main off ? Without playing brilliantly, Main and Cosgrove were causing Saints defence all kinds of problems together.....then we take off Main leaving Cosgrove isolated, and allowing St Johnstone much more freedom to push forward. Pretty much everyone could see the equaliser coming, aside from McInnes apparently.

It's the kind of weirdly listless and half-arse performance that deserved to be punished, and makes me dread being drawn away to Auchinleck or Broxburn in the cup. 

To be fair, I don’t think you can really say that the equaliser was coming. St Johnstone had created absolutely nothing up to the point where they scored , and they would not have scored had Mikey Devlin, who had a great match otherwise, not f****d up and let Kennedy through.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

then he loses it with Kris Boyd for some reason!

I've not seen this, or heard anything about it, but I fully endorse it.

Seen the reds, Murray is definitely a sending off, borne out of frustration but daft and silly.

Still not convinced Hendrys was, you see those tackles most weeks without a red yet Clancy had the card out instantly.

Main highlights of this game were pretty obvious and don't think are too controversial.   Liked the look of our set up and think it worked as Tommy wanted it, however....    we were so bad going forward. Worse than our defending, goal aside.  Thought midfield had a  control with doing squat.... until the changes. Can see what Deek wanted ,  more control over midfield and Saints would would have nothing but it just flipped after our substitutions.  Instead we had the two strikers that were causing problems.  Thought both managers called the game right as well as Faddy on Sky. Boyd did go a wee bit ott but can see why.

3 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

Very content that no matter how bad we allegedly are, we still finish above all the diddy teams over and over and over. The famous , red wearing, McInnes managed juggernaut marches on to yet another glorious European adventure next season whilst the rest of you clamour to get in the top 6 alongside us. Now your back as an established top flight team you might have a chance of breaking your way in this year, dream big 

Worked out well last season, right enough.

That was the same as most Saints games I've seen this season. 4-5-1 leaving the striker isolated and us not mustering a single shot. Midfielders not getting close to the striker and if anything closing down their own defenders who were trying to move the ball into midfield. 65 minutes of that pish and Tommy finally makes the call to go 4-4-2. Miraculously, we start playing better. 

It's not rocket science but one thing for me is clear. Tommy has lost it - he doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing anymore. He will always be a legend but the last 12 months he's made more mistakes than most managers would get away with.

Edited by Broon_100

1 minute ago, Broon_100 said:

Tommy finally makes the call to go 4-4-2. Miraculously, we start playing better. 

It had more to do with Aberdeen going with one up front, and no longer pressing our CBs. Kerr starts the move for the goal, in a position he wasn't allowed to be in until Main went off.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It had more to do with Aberdeen going with one up front, and no longer pressing our CBs. Kerr starts the move for the goal, in a position he wasn't allowed to be in until Main went off.

Whilst them going to 5 in midfield helped, us matching their 4-4-2 would have made a massive difference earlier on. If you play Holt, McCann and Davidson one of them absolutely has to get up and support. Instead we had Holt and McCann dropping in to get the ball from the defenders and then a 40 yard gap to Stevie May. When Aberdeen were pumping it long all day why have 3 central mids in there looking up at the Sky?