St Johnstone vs Aberdeen

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Watching the highlights of this one, what on earth prompted St. Johnstone players to completely lose it?  Didn't seem to be a particularly rough game before Murray Davidson completely loses it on Craig Bryson

There was a moment not long after Kane came on where he caught Bryson late. Not enough to warrant a foul but it annoyed Bryson. Bryson went in to Kane moments later with a fair but very hard tackle that Kane wasn't expecting.

I then left to take the kids to my parents house and arrived to find out if was 1-1 and St Johnstone were down to 9 😂

Not sure if Davidson was looking out for Kane from then on.

I must admit I don't hate 'game management' as much as some do on here but it was pretty criminal yesterday.

That St Johnstone defence was as solid as a chocolate kettle and it was criminal how little we tested them. The game should've been put to bed a long time before it all kicked off.

I also think Mcinnes is slightly skewed by his desire to get minutes into Bryson. I think he's desperate to get him fit and playing at his best as soon as he can, hence the change came so early. As we were winning it was always going to be a striker sacrificed. It was a poor decision and he needs to reflect on that.

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Watching the highlights of this one, what on earth prompted St. Johnstone players to completely lose it?  Didn't seem to be a particularly rough game before Murray Davidson completely loses it on Craig Bryson

Frustration and adrenaline. Aberdeen fans obviously wont agree, but from a Saints perspective we had Cosgrove jumping in late to virtually every challenge (it happens literally seconds before the red) without any free kicks been given, yet every time we touched an Aberdeen player it was a free kick. You then have Lewis Ferguson giving away around 7 free kick for niggly late fouls and avoiding a booking.

Combine that feeling of injustice, with the adrenaline of coming from a goal down and being aware you're on the front foot in a game you're desperate to win, and it's easy to understand why Davidson went for a ball he'd usually have left.

At first viewing, at the ground, at full speed, it didnt look nearly as bad as it does slowed down, which adds more frustration. Youve then got an already booked Logan coming into a tackle from behind which is ignored, which obviously riled Hendry up who lunges in to a tackle he shouldn't be.

Football is a game of passion, these things happen.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Frustration and adrenaline. Aberdeen fans obviously wont agree, but from a Saints perspective we had Cosgrove jumping in late to virtually every challenge (it happens literally seconds before the red) without any free kicks been given, yet every time we touched an Aberdeen player it was a free kick. You then have Lewis Ferguson giving away around 7 free kick for niggly late fouls and avoiding a booking.

Combine that feeling of injustice, with the adrenaline of coming from a goal down and being aware you're on the front foot in a game you're desperate to win, and it's easy to understand why Davidson went for a ball he'd usually have left.

At first viewing, at the ground, at full speed, it didnt look nearly as bad as it does slowed down, which adds more frustration. Youve then got an already booked Logan coming into a tackle from behind which is ignored, which obviously riled Hendry up who lunges in to a tackle he shouldn't be.

3904963F-0DDB-466A-BC2B-4D47DC928DF3.jpeg

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

X Factor Reaction GIF by X Factor Global

Great point in the end but still hugely frustrating to watch.  Fairly easy game plan of "let Wallace Duffy have the ball" works every time.  The only positive in the first half was Kennedy up against Logan, as soon as Logan was booked the aim should've been to exploit that.  It was over 15 mins into the second half before we got the ball to Kennedy again.  

11 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Brutal tackle from Murray, could’ve broken the boy’s leg.

Don't see how anyone can say it was just late with no malice!

Clancy also goes to his back pocket immediately after the Hendry challenge. Nothing to do with the Aberdeen players reaction.

Finally watched the highlights. Great finish by Kennedy for the goal.

48 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't see how anyone can say it was just late with no malice!

Because it clearly was just that. Late, clumsy and a justified red card as a result. That was what Tommy Wright meant when he referred to him being unlucky. I will have seen all but a very few of the 343 games that Davidson has played for Saints and I can honestly say I've never seen him put any malice into a challenge. He's a hard, combative player who on this occasion made a poor challenge. I'll defend Davidson over accusations of malice all day long. 

Hendry a totally different kettle of fish and that is something he does have in him.

Edited by Radford

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Because it clearly was just that. Late, clumsy and a justified red card as a result. That was what Tommy Wright meant when he referred to him being unlucky. I will have seen all but a very few of the 343 games that Davidson has played for Saints and I can honestly say I've never seen him put any malice into a challenge. He's a hard, combative player who on this occasion made a poor challenge. I'll defend Davidson over accusations of malice all day long. 

Hendry a totally different kettle of fish and that is something he does have in him.

We'll agree to disagree.

Murray was unlucky. Zero intent, but its not so much he was unlucky to be sent off but rather unlucky he stood on the lads ankle and just about buckled it. Clear red. 

Hendy also unlucky, full of intent so a clear red but next to no contact as yer man jumped out the way before going down as shown by reverse angle. Unlucky he got sent off without even tagging the p***k. 

Edited by FrankChickens1
Sorry ott bad mood

Plenty of people say Davidson is cumbersome, clumsy, slow with some justification. The red card is of a result of exactly that. He's clearly going for the ball, Bryson has nipped in ahead of him and he's followed through onto his ankle. It's a red card and Bryson is lucky the injury isn't worse but Davidson hasn't intended to injure him.

Hendry on the other hand...What a fanny. 

At 1-1 with 11 men I felt we were in the ascendency and looked the more likely side to grab a winner, with 9 men and 10-15 minutes left, I'm delighted with the point and the spirit on display. Where has that last gasp, bodies on the line defending been all season? Clark and Kerr were suddenly the 2018/19 versions of themselves. It's infuriating that we concede the goals that we do - another shit goal to loss yesterday, and we're lucky that McGinn didn't punish us in the immediate aftermath of Duffy's handball after yet more awful defending - then finish the game defending the way that we did.

Kerr and Duffy are more comfortable with the ball at their feet but give me a Frazer Wright/Steven Anderson style partnership every day of the week over them. Pretty hopeless with the ball at their feet but boy did they enjoy the ugly side of defending.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Where has that last gasp, bodies on the line defending been all season?

I'm sort of naively hoping that having a proper backs to the wall, put your body on the line, scenario might drill into the defenders exactly what they need to be like from now on. Players like Duffy will never have experienced that before yesterday.

Have enjoyed catching up with this thread. There is absolutely no doubt that Davidson and Hendry deserved to walk- 2 clearer red cards you will struggle to see (although Davidson did not go in with any malice, just a very poorly timed tackle). There is also no doubt that Duffy handled the ball and Aberdeen should have had a penalty and Duffy a red card.

Equally there is no doubt that the ref is not the reason Aberdeen didn't win. There are people employed by your club who made much bigger mistakes than Clancy. McGinn for his inability to hit the net from four yards, Mcinnes for making an absolutely shocking substitution, even yet 500 game man for heading straight at the keeper from six yards out. Blaming the ref is hilarious tbh.