St Johnstone vs Aberdeen

Just now, Broon_100 said:

Whilst them going to 5 in midfield helped, us matching their 4-4-2 would have made a massive difference earlier on. If you play Holt, McCann and Davidson one of them absolutely has to get up and support. Instead we had Holt and McCann dropping in to get the ball from the defenders and then a 40 yard gap to Stevie May. When Aberdeen were pumping it long all day why have 3 central mids in there looking up at the Sky?

I don't disagree at all, I'm just reluctant to endorse this "4-4-2 made everything better" idea, when it seemed to be a case of the opponents taking their foot off our necks that helped us.

McInnes sat back at 1-0, tried to shit it out and got absolutely found out...again.

We missed two or three good chances and ultimately have ourselves to blame. Been the same story for a wee while now.

McInnes deserves the single point he got for not trying to finish the game off.

Watched the game on Saints TV last night and the first 60 minutes was some of the lowest quality I have seen in a long time. We improved and got the goal we probably deserved and thought we could have gone on to win the game. I don't think Davidson's tackle was malicious but it looked awful slowed down and looked a definite red card straight away. The Hendry one was bizarre from him, the tackle by Logan on Kennedy looked bad but I thought he took the ball and it was fair enough. Hendry was just so late that a red was always likely - of course, the Aberdeen players' reactions, made sure there was no doubt. 

I have no idea how it took 70 minutes for Ferguson to be booked. I reckon there was 7 or 8 niggly little pull backs and fouls and still he didn't get booked. Added to his near-constant dissent and he was a bit lucky to stay on.

Saints were very poor on the ball except for when we got it wide to Kennedy who always looked dangerous. I actually thought we defended pretty well - obviously, you don't want to see Duffy on the ball too often but he stood up to the physical challenge fairly well. Taking Holt off was the right decision for me, none of our central midfielders were dropping deep enough to actually take the ball - so we ended up with Kerr/Duffy launching hopeless cross-field balls all game.

When we got hammered by Hibs, while we were awful, they were very good. At half time yesterday I was most annoyed at losing as Aberdeen were awful. Very little football played and just seemed to get launched forward for one of the big lads to get into a battle. Yes, they created some chances in the last 10 minutes but none of them were from particularly creative play.

I am still confident Saints will have enough to stay up this season. Confidence is obviously very low but there were signs of fight in the team. We have got 7 points from a possible 12 in the last four home games, not amazing but solid enough.

Two managers comments say a lot about them...
TW

Saints remain bottom of the Premiership but Wright was delighted to see his side draw.

He said: “It is a great point. When you show that spirit I think you deserve a wee bit of luck. It is a deserved point too. I am really pleased for the players.

“I would have liked to have done it with 11 on the pitch but unfortunately we didn’t do that. The red cards are correct decisions.

“Murray was unlucky. TV will slow it down and it looks really bad for him but anybody who has played the game will know that the Aberdeen player has nicked the ball and he’s just late.

“Because of where he has caught him, the referee has made the right decision.

McInnes

“I need to say, in the second half we did ourselves in from a winning position but how that penalty isn’t given in the first half is incredible.

“It is a penalty every day of the week and I don’t understand why none of the four officials could see what we have all seen.”

You are beyond a parody of yourself.

Whatever mcinnes has done to you I hope one day you can forgive him.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seen the reds, Murray is definitely a sending off, borne out of frustration but daft and silly.

Still not convinced Hendrys was, you see those tackles most weeks without a red yet Clancy had the card out instantly.

He is so late the ball is behind McKenna when he actually makes contact. Also totally out of control and a blatant red.

image.thumb.png.58766b04a201cac9988623a629871273.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

They are both red cards all day long, why anyone would dispute that is beyond me. Davidson’s wasn’t meant, he was just late, doesn’t stop the card being red. Hendry’s was just a young guy out of control, no complaints there either. He got away with one of those earlier in the season as well, so he should really have learnt not to let emotions get to him like that.

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

none of our central midfielders were dropping deep enough to actually take the ball - so we ended up with Kerr/Duffy launching hopeless cross-field balls all game.

You see this is an issue for me, especially by everyone watching on TV.

There was movement ahead of both Kerr and Duffy by both midfielders and forwards, it's just that they were shit scared to pass it or take a chance, they then dwell on it and the options evaporate. Square ball Kerr is my new name for captain marvel, along with Jason is jobby obviously. 

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

There was movement ahead of both Kerr and Duffy by both midfielders and forwards, it's just that they were shit scared to pass it or take a chance, they then dwell on it and the options evaporate. Square ball Kerr is my new name for captain marvel, along with Jason is jobby obviously. 

Kind of agree Tam, there were opportunities to play a forward or wide pass that Kerr and Duffy would ignore. Thought it looked as though both had been told to hold onto it longer and not risk giving away possession, either that or Kerr was scared of making a mistake and took the safer option all the time.  Particularly in the second half.  I wondered if he'd been told to get back to basics and do the simple thing rather than try to be too clever.

The thing that did my head in during the first half was some of our support in the East Stand going mental at the centre backs for keeping the ball between them for a few passes and not passing it forwards, then a minute later going mental when a punt up the park went aimlessly to an Aberdeen defender.

We're only one down in the middle of a game, there's absolutely no harm in the defenders keeping the ball until something opens up. Especially when most of our forward passes up until then had just given the ball away.

That's fair enough but, if I couldn't see them on the screen it was at least 30 yards away. My point is more that if you play 3 central midfielders then I would expect one of them to drop a little deeper to collect the ball.

It’s frustrating I think for the fans to see the slow play, because they’ve seen Kerr be quicker and effective before. Even our goal yesterday was as a result of Kerr bypassing the midfield straight into Kennedy’s feet with an excellent pass. There were times Duffy gave the ball away when he went long, but on those occasions he was actually trying to play a ball over the top to a runner rather than aimlessly punting it. Yes we’re too slow from the back a lot of the time and it gives the other team time to set up; however give me that over being caught in midfield or defence and losing goals as has happened this season. Basics right now is what we need, stop the mistakes and we’ll get better. Kerr lost a battle with one of the best strikers in the league and was punished for that one mistake. I don’t think either him or Duffy had bad games yesterday and were much improved. As was Tanser and Ralston, they both stood up, albeit Aberdeen’s wingers were totally mince.

Just now, Saigon Raider said:

That's fair enough but, if I couldn't see them on the screen it was at least 30 yards away. My point is more that if you play 3 central midfielders then I would expect one of them to drop a little deeper to collect the ball.

Why? They were in space and don't need to come and collect the ball from the feet of the defenders, the defenders are grown men and shouldn't need their arses wiped for them. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

I've said this all season but we ain't finishing 3rd or 4th. 

Yet another performance where its evident that we can't play attacking football. We rely on the sheer brilliance of Cosgrove and scoring a high percentage of goals from set pieces. 

December is a brutal month for us, ****, ****, Hearts and Hibs. We won't be in the top 4 come 2020.