St Johnstone vs Aberdeen

19 minutes ago, bennett said:

Jings! I can't believe that the best young beard in Scottish fitba fcuked up again.....

If only points were assigned to clubs based on their managers beard growing abilities.

Edited by TavTastic

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There were two semi-final meetings that season - only Saints fans could prefer the one played in the sparsely populated stadium on a Sunday lunchtime.

:lol: Lets be honest, we all know which one you'd rather have won. 

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There were two semi-final meetings that season - only Saints fans could prefer the one played in the sparsely populated stadium on a Sunday lunchtime.

Or maybe we'd prefer to win the one in the nation's premier knockout competition than the diddy warm up event?  Each to their own of course.

Thought today was the day that the team lost the fans. The grumbles started in the first half and were growing but they grab a goal out of nothing then somehow hold on for a point. In the cold light of day, the realisation will arrive that we'll lose the next three games but those last 20 minutes papered over a lot of cracks, which seems a crazy thing to say when you've had two men sent off. 

Hendry has that in him and his petulance is a concern. Davidson doesn't and was just clumsy. His first red card in 343 games for the club. 

The negatives can wait for another day. 

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Think Holt has been a massive disappointment. Not a fan

Said that at HT on here. Played one good game, his first, at Pittodrie. 

His booking just before HT was as petulant as anything that came later on, especially for an experienced player.

I think at times he takes up spaces Ali McCann wants to operate in, so I think I'd bring in Liam Craig alongside Ali next week with Muz's suspension.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

His booking just before HT was as petulant as anything that came later on, especially for an experienced player.

I think at times he takes up spaces Ali McCann wants to operate in, so I think I'd bring in Liam Craig alongside Ali next week with Muz's suspension.

I thought he was poor at Pittodrie until Bryson went off. You guys can do better.

I bet Aberdeen couldn't believe their luck when St Johnstone took May off their hands. It's been clear to anyone who has watched him in the last couple of years that his injuries have done him as a player at this level. The pace, power and movement that made him a player have gone. It's a real shame.

Really was a crazy signing though, on I'm guessing pretty hefty wages by St Johnstone's standards. When you let emotion get in the way of decisions in football it rarely ends well.

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

I bet Aberdeen couldn't believe their luck when St Johnstone took May off their hands. It's been clear to anyone who has watched him in the last couple of years that his injuries have done him as a player at this level. The pace, power and movement that made him a player have gone. It's a real shame.

Really was a crazy signing though, on I'm guessing pretty hefty wages by St Johnstone's standards. When you let emotion get in the way of decisions in football it rarely ends well.

He was a replacement for Watt, and has already matches his goal tally from last season. He was also awful in his last spell when forced to play isolated. Cant judge him on these games yet.

12 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

1 minute ago, Radford said:

The problem with Holt is that Ali McCann has come into the team and been so good in the role that he was probably earmarked for. An irony that when we finally get a replacement for Millar signed, we don't need him.

Would you be happy to see him away in January?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would you be happy to see him away in January?

Depends..

If it just means releasing him cos he's not getting a game then no, as he's an option to  pick should injuries/ suspensions become a factor.  He's been a disappointment, but he's certainly not a poor player.

However, if his wage meant an experienced centre back/ right back or different option up front could be brought in then I'm moving towards yes.

Even if Radders isn’t willing to, I’ll gladly dive into the negatives.

Since you’ve mentioned him, Holt was rubbish. Offered nothing and picked up a ridiculous yellow. We were so susceptible at the back until Aberdeen withdrew Main. Duffy is just awful and Kerr has regressed a ridiculous amount. Clark too-the goal was one that wasn’t his fault by any stretch but one where you might hope he’d save it. He’s conceded a lot like that this season-though you might argue that’s a function of the defence ahead of him giving up so many of those types of chances. That said, he was brilliant in the last 15 and was as responsible as anyone else for holding on to the point.

In the first hour we were absolutely clueless going forward. Absolutely awful. We couldn’t get May on to the ball at all and persisted with smacking it long for McKenna and Devine to mop up without an issue. The change of shape for both teams made all the difference for us - took the pressure off our defence and allowed us to press up. Until the red cards that is.

May was completely out of the game-was that his performance or the shape? Not sure tbh. I’d be inclined to start him with Kane next week given Hendry is ruled out. May is never a lone striker and if we’re to get anything out of him we need to structure our team to suit him at least a little bit.

26 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is a fair post but equally, it's hard to attract quality with the wages/budget available to St Johnstone. 

When I was looking back in relation to the thread about a worst eleven for the decade, it was disheartening to see how much shite we'd had up front. Of course, part of it does come down to the recruiter but everyone craves a goalscorer and we've struggled to attract them. 

So when the option of a fans favourite came up - and one that had scored goals for us in the past - there was certainly logic there, although our handling of the transfer took the shine off it hugely. 

He's been very poor since his return though. No questioning his work rate but in terms of quality, you'd be struggling to think of a single moment worthy of praise. It's a worry. 

1 minute ago, Radford said:

in terms of quality, you'd be struggling to think of a single moment worthy of praise. It's a worry. 

His run for the goal at County, and his reverse pass for Muzz which led to the winner against Hearts stand out. He makes some great runs in behind too which are generally just ignored

He's never been a good lone striker, even in that season he struggled when MacLean got injured and he had to play there. Too early to completely write him off, I'll do that once we've got a system thats giving him a chance and he's still struggling.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, blame the ref for you failing to be 9 men. 

Curtis Main, btw, is hilarious. 3 yards out and a tap in and he doesnt even hit the target. Logan, 6 yards out with the while goal to aim at, doesn't hit the target. Two opposition players sent off, your own right back avoids a blatant second yellow.

BLAME THE REF!!!

Calm down, for goodness sake.