New Junior Podcast

Bill Kilgour

It was a good listen and interesting to find out more about other clubs and different opinions on Junior game. Also agree with injury situation in the Juniors, a number of players out with long term injuries at Meadow and other clubs. Too many games at start of season may have played a part, although other reasons too. Although Talbot seemed to have coped well and don't seem to have too many injuries to their top players? Is it luck? I know at Meadow I think all of our players have got injured during a game due to tackle or challenge.

I didn't agree with the chat about the refs staying in Juniors longer though and as due to senior refs retiring the refs have to be moved up. Also with Lowland League we are now getting situation where won't be enough assistant refs to go round West Region Premiership games as well as Championship. This will make games a lottery when comes to offside decisions. We need to encourage refs and stop some of the shocking abuse they can get for not much more than travelling expenses.

Also ex players don't want to become refs, if they did they could easily do the courses. Maybe the courses should be promoted better to ex players on Social Media? I did see a BBC documentary on refs moving up through English pyramid and the ex player who became a ref chucked it.

The farming out of SPFL players to Junior teams doesn't happen now as Rangers and Celtic will have their best youngsters in lower leagues in England, Scottish Championship, League one and League Two and Lowland League all before Juniors. A large number of Old Firm youths are out on loan but Juniors is now too low a level for them. It would be Ayr United, Hamilton, Partick youngsters etc that may get loaned out to Junior teams in the West. It's totally different from 40-50-60 years ago when Old Firm relied on Junior teams for recruitment

It was a good listen and interesting to find out more about other clubs and different opinions on Junior game. Also agree with injury situation in the Juniors, a number of players out with long term injuries at Meadow and other clubs. Too many games at start of season may have played a part, although other reasons too. Although Talbot seemed to have coped well and don't seem to have too many injuries to their top players? Is it luck? I know at Meadow I think all of our players have got injured during a game due to tackle or challenge.

I didn't agree with the chat about the refs staying in Juniors longer though and as due to senior refs retiring the refs have to be moved up. Also with Lowland League we are now getting situation where won't be enough assistant refs to go round West Region Premiership games as well as Championship. This will make games a lottery when comes to offside decisions. We need to encourage refs and stop some of the shocking abuse they can get for not much more than travelling expenses.
Also ex players don't want to become refs, if they did they could easily do the courses. Maybe the courses should be promoted better to ex players on Social Media? I did see a BBC documentary on refs moving up through English pyramid and the ex player who became a ref chucked it.

The farming out of SPFL players to Junior teams doesn't happen now as Rangers and Celtic will have their best youngsters in lower leagues in England, Scottish Championship, League one and League Two and Lowland League all before Juniors. A large number of Old Firm youths are out on loan but Juniors is now too low a level for them. It would be Ayr United, Hamilton, Partick youngsters etc that may get loaned out to Junior teams in the West. It's totally different from 40-50-60 years ago when Old Firm relied on Junior teams for recruitment

To add to your point about refs the expanded and resurgent East Of Scotland League will also reduce 3 official teams for junior games particulary in the east as all East Of Scotland Premier games will have 3 officials. The EOS First division from what I've saw is a mixed bag of some games with 3 and others a sole official. I'd guess the South of Scotland wouldn't have any impact as most officials in that league only operate within that area I assume.

3 hours ago, Bill Kilgour said:

No Rocksport has no live broadcasting at the moment so we started the podcast to keep everybody update

Ah fair enough! Really like the podcast route. All the best, listened to the first half last night and enjoyed what I've heard so far!