Would Rangers have won the Champions League without Marseille cheating?

As others have pointed out, the reality (rather than local myth) was that Marseille tried to fix a league match before the final with Milan only for players that had been tapped coming clean at half-time to the ref.  Apparently the coppers were waiting for them in the changing room at the final whistle. 

2 hours ago, The DA said:

Now if the question was, 'Would United have reached the European Cup final if Roma hadn't bribed the referee...'.

Absolutely. Even as a Dee there is no doubt the game in Italy was fixed. The ref involved was done for it years later. No need for Sevco style conspiracies on that matter.

2 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Absolutely. Even as a Dee there is no doubt the game in Italy was fixed. The ref involved was done for it years later. No need for Sevco style conspiracies on that matter.

When was the ref 'done'?  I can see after he 'fixed' this game that he went on to referee a uefa cup final, a european cup final,  a world cup semi final and the final of the european championships.  Strange list of games to get when he was 'done' for 'fixing' a game.  Or perhaps he wasn't actually 'done' at all?   

7 hours ago, Cannibal said:

When was the ref 'done'?  I can see after he 'fixed' this game that he went on to referee a uefa cup final, a european cup final,  a world cup semi final and the final of the european championships.  Strange list of games to get when he was 'done' for 'fixing' a game.  Or perhaps he wasn't actually 'done' at all?   

I don't know if the ref was done but Roma's president was found guilty of bribing him in this match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Vautrot

Vautrot wasn't done - this all only came to light when Roma's president (the son of Roma's president at the time of the semi) revealed during the build-up to their champions league semi against Liverpool, that they'd bribed the ref with £50,000. Nottingham Forest also suffered with a 3-0 defeat against Anderlecht at the hands of a bribed ref, who later died in a car crash. 

2 hours ago, The DA said:

I don't know if the ref was done but Roma's president was found guilty of bribing him in this match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Vautrot

That is where I was confused - I knew someoone admitted to bribery in that match!

I did read that the same ref allowed for 8 minutes of injury time in the Argentina-Italy sem-final of the 1990 World Cup and then stated after the game that he had lost track of time left in the match.  One for the watching as they say.

Edited by rainbowrising

10 hours ago, Cannibal said:

The revelation was around 2011, years after the fact and the refs career had ended.

1 minute ago, rainbowrising said:

The revelation was around 2011, years after the fact and the refs career had ended.

The wiki article suggests the president was banned in 86.

In 1986, Roma president Dino Viola was banned by UEFA for bribing referee Vautrot with £50,000 prior to the European Cup semi-final 2nd leg between Roma and Dundee United in 1984. 

6 minutes ago, The DA said:

The wiki article suggests the president was banned in 86.

Yeah I saw the wording there but the actual story broke through his son (see Day of the Lords post) years later.  The implications at the time ('86) for Roma and the ref - he went on to ref European finals, World Cup matches - would have been huge.  I'm old enough to remember watching the match at the time (an old school mate Ralph Milne missed a decent chance) and there were no stories in the period after the game of match fixing.

The story seems to be the Roma president was scammed and the ref had nothing to do with it.   So a dodgy president but not a fixed game.  The game used to be on youtube and you can see the ref didn't do anything to help Roma and even disallowed one of their goals.

Great achievement by United and a shame they didn't win but it's interesting how so many think it is a 'fact' the ref cheated and that he was 'done'.   

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would rangers have won the league in Scotland if it wasn’t for corrupt officials?

I always say the same thing - if you think referees in this competition or football in this country are corrupt then you should stop watching.

Refs are inconsistent and easily influenced. A lot of them probably lean to one side or the other however if there was corruption it would’ve been outed by someone a long time ago considering how poorly ran the various football organizations are in this country. No way are the SFA etc competent enough to keep that a secret.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2020 at 07:23, Day of the Lords said:

Vautrot wasn't done - this all only came to light when Roma's president (the son of Roma's president at the time of the semi) revealed during the build-up to their champions league semi against Liverpool, that they'd bribed the ref with £50,000. Nottingham Forest also suffered with a 3-0 defeat against Anderlecht at the hands of a bribed ref, who later died in a car crash. 

Diana wasn't the first, then?