Edinburgh City Vs Albion Rovers

This weekend's match has our friends from Albion Rovers visiting Ainslie Park .

Rovers had a good win over Stenhousemuir last week, and previously had a thumping win in the scottish cup so will provide us with a tough test here.

Edinburgh City were very sloppy against Elgin, and will need to sharpen up and play better than last week if we're to get the vital three points here. Another tough game for  us and as always, i would be delighted with any win.

just when I thought this fixture had whipped the public up to heights of apathy....

At least a fussy ref managed to fix it so City players avoided injury against the Camelon cluggers (;)). It would be nice if those misguided denizens of Edinburgh who follow lesser teams such as Hearts and Hibs could turn out for this mouthwatering fixture and make an atmosphere. I suppose the Young Team will turn up at least.
 1462505617_albionrovers.jpg.c7da2d1457c745775430c559cad65318.jpg

"HIbs no playing me and ma gadgies went doon to Ainslie Park tae see the City. There wuznae any swedging wi no Coatbridge c*nts but the pies were guid and we all fell in love with Sexy Rab Mac..."

35 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

just when I thought this fixture had whipped the public up to heights of apathy....

It would be nice if those misguided denizens of Edinburgh who follow lesser teams such as Hearts and Hibs could turn out for this mouthwatering fixture and make an atmosphere.

The hertz and Hibs fans that only come to watch a game on international weekends, are more of a hinderance so I hope they don't bother!

Usually, they're not actually interested in our game and just sit talking about other things or looking at their phones, and that's after taking the best seats!

The young team are different. They are good, and actually make a positive difference to the atmosphere, but seem to have deserted us this season.

1 minute ago, Tenkay said:

The hertz and Hibs fans that only come to watch a game on international weekends, are more of a hinderance so I hope they don't bother!

Usually, they're not actually interested in our game and just sit talking about other things or looking at their phones, and that's after taking the best seats!

The young team are different. They are good, and actually make a positive difference to the atmosphere, but seem to have deserted us this season.

The poor darlings are just reverting to their natural behaviour having been subjected to shite at Easter Road and Tynecastle. They just can't handle the magnificent spectacle that Edinburgh City serve up. 

8 hours ago, Tenkay said:

I was shocked to see the average attendance so far this season for Edinburgh City. Is it partly down to playing at Ainslie park?

Edinburgh City are a quality side who win games and score freely. In my eyes I thought this would attract a much larger fan base. Also it’s a populous area.

Come on fans out there, come and support the lower leagues where you are closer to the action - that’s what my marketing/PR voice would say. Plus EC are a club quite well destined to climb the leagues like Ross County or ICT before them. In 5 years could easily be a championship side.

I'm looking forward to the game today.

Hopefully Thommo will be back this week, and City have a stronger starting line up than last week's inept attempt from McDonagh.

Cove made sure they won their game (Late on) last week, so we need to match their desire.

11 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was shocked to see the average attendance so far this season for Edinburgh City. Is it partly down to playing at Ainslie park?

Edinburgh City are a quality side who win games and score freely. In my eyes I thought this would attract a much larger fan base. Also it’s a populous area.

Come on fans out there, come and support the lower leagues where you are closer to the action - that’s what my marketing/PR voice would say. Plus EC are a club quite well destined to climb the leagues like Ross County or ICT before them. In 5 years could easily be a championship side.

Aye.  Playing at Ainslie Park probably doesn't help but it's not the main reason.

It's always been this way in Edinburgh.  The local Evening paper ONLY CARES about Herts and Hibs. It's ALL about them two.

Good smaller clubs like City, Spartans and Civil Service Strollers you wouldn't even know existed if you depended on the local news reporting anything about it.

When City move to a new ground, more central in Edinburgh, crowds might increase a wee bit.

2 hours ago, surely not! said:

Where are you thinking/what have you heard?

Edinburgh rugby have started work, building the "Mini Murrayfield" ground.  It's to be ready for the start of next season.

Possibly, that's a good option for us, being in the city centre and close to Haymarket train station.

1 hour ago, Chris_the_rover said:

A diving Edinburgh side and poor refereeing held us back

Och, Chris.  That's not very sporting!

The referee was a joke for BOTH teams.

I'll be fair, and admit Rovers deserved a draw.  Actually, Albion looked a decent team and could have won that game.

Easy to see why you beat Stenny last week.

Och, Chris.  That's not very sporting!

The referee was a joke for BOTH teams.

I'll be fair, and admit Rovers deserved a draw.  Actually, Albion looked a decent team and could have won that game.

Easy to see why you beat Stenny last week.

city players taking dives in the box isn't very sporting

You seriously thinking the ref was poor for you lot get a grip

The City announcer should probably have played this at the end..

I'll admit Rovers were robbed, the first penalty didn't look like one to me. I've seen the club photographer's photos of the game and the one that does look a stick on where the keeper brought down Shepherd wasn't given! The penalty at the end the Rovers defender seems to have two hands on the City players back but whether there was contact I can't tell. And I thought Balatoni was maybe fouled for the second Rovers goal. Certainly it was about the only time a player went down that the ref didn't give as a foul.. 

Brechin... Elgin... Rovers... whilst enjoyable for the neutral I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed by these late fightbacks. Can City not just win games with the minimum of fuss?