Healthy Eating

14 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Particularly when the peanut butter ingredients are 100% peanuts and not calorie laden like certain posters assume just because their mum buys the Kraft stuff out of Asda and spreads it on their toast in the morning. 

Who do you listen to though - your gym's nutrition advice or some dafty on the interweb?

Screenshot_20191115-235332_Chrome.jpg

Mods, can we get this recipe bot to f**k please?

On 15/11/2019 at 03:39, Dee Man said:

I made something very similar the other day - I cup of medjool dates, 1 cup peanut butter (couldn't find any almond butter), 1/2 cup cacao powder,  1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 cup dried cranberries, almonds and cashews fired in there, all mixed together then spread into a tray and left in a fridge for 2 hours. Cut into bars and it is sensational. 

I just put my veggies in a sieve, rest them over the pot of whatever I'm boiling and put the lid over that. 

There is no comparison between something like this and a chocolate bar. 

The dates are a great source of magnesium and potassium, the whey is near pure protein and has all the essential amino acids, so long as it is unsweetened the cacoa powder will provide you with polyphenols and help with the taste, the cranberries and nuts will have a great micronutrient profile. Your concoction will have a much lower "gi number" that is it will not spike insulin as much. The less refined sugars and refined carbs someone has in their diet the more they will improve their insulin sensitivity. The more you improve your insulin sensitivity the less quickly you get hungry. This massively helps managing your diet better by making it less about having will power to resist hunger pangs between meals. 

Added with the fibre from the veggies and its looking very good as part of a diet designed to make hitting a decent calorie intake achievable. 

The one thing to watch is the peanut butter, most likely you are aware of this, but other readers might want to check the ingredients for added salt, sugar and fats. Shop around a bit for some with less additives. 

On 15/11/2019 at 20:27, DA Baracus said:

Are there genuinely folk who think eating healthily is 'boring' and/or somehow a chore, and that it's somehow tasteless?!

If it means adding wholemeal bran to every meal you eat then definitely yes to this.

Fortunately eating so much bran is now regarded as unhealthy (since it strips out a lot of healthy nutrients at the same time).

On 15/11/2019 at 20:27, DA Baracus said:

Are there genuinely folk who think eating healthily is 'boring' and/or somehow a chore, and that it's somehow tasteless?!

I don't think there's any argument that eating healthy requires a bit more effort, it absolutely does. I think the boring and tasteless stuff is just people trying to justify eating utter shite.

On 16/11/2019 at 08:52, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ll be honest here, those date bar things look fucking disgusting.

they look like exactly the sort of thing that they used to fish out of a shitey hole and go in to a fucking ferment about on Time Team:

'...and if you slice this perfectly preserved stool in half, you can see that the Beaker folk who inhabited the Black Fen area 3,000 years ago ate a diet consisting predominantly of nuts, berries, squirrel genitalia, tree bark and - oh - other villager's excrement too, f**k - excuse me Carenza, i'm just going to puke in trench three...'

On 16/11/2019 at 21:05, dorlomin said:

The one thing to watch is the peanut butter, most likely you are aware of this, but other readers might want to check the ingredients for added salt, sugar and fats. Shop around a bit for some with less additives. 

This is the gear I use - 100% peanuts. Handily, after it tells you in the ingredients that it is 100% peanuts, it then tells you that it 'CONTAINS PEANUTS'. Just in case you weren't aware that the peanut butter with 100% peanuts may contain peanuts. 20191122_041841.thumb.jpg.337d4a90a3cfeb709ec06c71b8ff5d3d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

This is the gear I use - 100% peanuts. Handily, after it tells you in the ingredients that it is 100% peanuts, it then tells you that it 'CONTAINS PEANUTS'. Just in case you weren't aware that the peanut butter with 100% peanuts may contain peanuts. 20191122_041841.thumb.jpg.337d4a90a3cfeb709ec06c71b8ff5d3d.jpg

That’s jar must be tiny. It’s only got three nuts.

To be sure to be sure.

13 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Whole Earth peanut butter is the equivalent in the UK. No sugar, just a bit of salt, and they leave the skin on the peanuts too apparently. Is the Rolls-Royce of the stuff to put on toast food group. 

Shut up.

Peanut butter Kit Kat is your best bet

I do put the stuff in my satay, it's the secret ingredient.

13 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Whole Earth peanut butter is the equivalent in the UK. No sugar, just a bit of salt, and they leave the skin on the peanuts too apparently. Is the Rolls-Royce of the stuff to put on toast food group. 

Every few months Lidl have offerse on great big tubs of WHole Earth, usually £5 a kilo.  I normally grab two or three which lasts until the next time.  Peanut butter is superb, I mix it into porridge, have it with overnight oats or on toast.  I give to my wee boy as well.

On 22/11/2019 at 18:39, ICTChris said:

Guardian fim about 'food deserts'

Makes all this pish about the greatest country in the world and leader of the free world seem like and even bigger sham when people can't get fresh food.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I cannot believe there are still, in this day and age, utter perverts who choose to consume peanut butter. Truly of the devil.

Peanut butter is fucking amazing. Behave yourself.