Healthy Eating

Just looking for some good food ideas that are healthy, not talking Veganism or things in the ballpark of cancun bullshit. Just straight up basic healthy eating.

I keep myself fit and active, at the gym four days a week with cardio, but I realise at 26 metabolisms start to slow and an improved diet is needed.

Particularly things I can eat on the go at work and uni. I work nights in a van and trying to take something filling and healthy just is a challenge.

Dates, any nuts, peanut butter, wee bit of chocolate. Whizz in a food processor till it's a rough paste, roll into balls, keep in the fridge. Nice filling snack.

That actually sounds good

It’s a waste of time. Just let yourself go.

The women love a dad bod, so I hear.

Haha what I’m trying to avoid, already eat my portion and what the wee one doesn’t eat [emoji23]

18 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Just looking for some good food ideas that are healthy, not talking Veganism or things in the ballpark of cancun bullshit. Just straight up basic healthy eating.

I keep myself fit and active, at the gym four days a week with cardio, but I realise at 26 metabolisms start to slow and an improved diet is needed.

Particularly things I can eat on the go at work and uni. I work nights in a van and trying to take something filling and healthy just is a challenge.

Yer fucked mate. I am ten years older and healthy eating is impossible.

Homemade flapjacks are filling. Porridge in the morning as well will keep you from munching throughout the day as well. Aim for 4 meals a day, decent portions, good mixture of fats, protein, carbs and veg, and hit the gym regularly like you already do. 

Been eating healthy for around ten years now. Some things that work for me:

Protein bars, low sugar.

Frozen veg or fruit. 

Smoothies, whey protein, bananas, veg. Don’t buy the innocent ones they’re full of sugar. Make your own. You get a blender for £20 that blends into a bottle. Ready to drink.

Chicken packs, combine with frozen veg. You get frozen brown rice. Easy. Can change for tuna or turkey.

Eggs, boiled.

Porridge, add fruit or peanut butter/nuts.

Eat carbs first thing or after a workout. Drink loads of water.

Don’t deny anything, have a day off once in a while.

14 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:
17 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
Dates, any nuts, peanut butter, wee bit of chocolate. Whizz in a food processor till it's a rough paste, roll into balls, keep in the fridge. Nice filling snack.

Sorry, you do what in a food processor?

I was following Jamie Oliver's instructions to make scrambled eggs "Take some milk, chives and eggs and toss in a salad bowl"

So I did and nearly fell off the worktop...

19 hours ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Avoid processed food as often as possible. These tend to be chock full of sugars, salts and unhealthy fats. 

Aim to get your carbs from whole grains like lentils and oats as opposed to bread, pasta and other more refined grains. 

Chose fish and chicken over red meats. 

Steamed veggies help keep you full and are full of vitamins and minerals, a cheap steamer for the stove will be about £12 and takes a few minutes. 

Overnight oats is a great breakfast choice. That is presoak your oats in milk in the fridge for the morning. Again avoid the more usual cereals, these are highly refined and full of sugars so you just get hungry much quicker. 

Eggs are cheap, filling, healthy and easy to cook in a variety of different ways. 

If you need to buy a snack something protein based like cottage cheese or a small packet of chicken or something bulky and low calorie like a fruit is always preferable to crisps and chocolates or the off the shelf sandwiches. 

That is the generic basics. 

In terms of prepared meals for working in the van a decent tupperware box and you can get a healthy and tasty meal in as long as you are prepared to eat it cold or have a cooker. Things like brown rice with some chicken, but when cooking the brown rice throw in some curry powder or something to give it a flavour, curries and spices make bland but healthy food a lot more appealing. 

Do some green lentils and fish another night, a cheap 90p can off mackerel mixed in with the curry can be healthy and great. That said I know many people do not like the taste of it.

Oh and low fat greek yogurt can replace mayonnaise when you whip up something a bit carb rich but dry. Again mixing it with something spicy can make a cheap bland meal pretty palatable. I am a huge fan of Encona Pepper Sauce for mixing into rice, lentils and the like with some greek yogurt. 

Edited by dorlomin

19 hours ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Mentioned it in another thread, but I was recommended a cook book called ‘Mindful Chef’. Tried it, stuck with it, also exercised more, cut out some, not all, of the naughty stuff, and have lost weight and feel a whole lot better than I did before.

88C1AB6F-C4D5-4EB2-9BF9-70F9FB23FA2B.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird