Great Myths of Scottish Football

HibeeJibee

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interestingly when Douglas Lamming published his Scottish Internationalists' Who's Who in 1986 the places which had contributed more than a handful of Scotland internationals were:

179     Glasgow
   51     Edinburgh
   21     Dundee
   21     Paisley
   17     Falkirk
   16     Aberdeen
   16     Dumbarton
   15     Kilmarnock
   12     Airdrie
   12     Renton
   11     Bonhill
   10     Hamilton
   10     Irvine
   10     Johnstone
      9     Greenock
      9     Larkhall
      8     Barrhead
      8     Motherwell
      7     Alexandria
      7     Arbroath
      7     Ayr
      7     Denny
      6     Beith
      6     Stirling

True, but most people just think it was 3-up-1-down i.e. same relegation as in surrounding seasons.

Fair.

On the Irvine one (which is valid from 1970s to mid 00s), as a current example, between Glenafton and Cumnock there are just under 20 players between them born in Irvine. Only one is from the town. Even players from as far flung places at Cumnock itself were born in Irvine at Ayrshire Central. Crosshouse in Killie has now taken over though (since '06). The Proclaimers were correct... Irvine no more!

And Bellshill likewise - it's gone too. Was briefl yreplaced by Carluke/Law and now Wishaw. My own sprogs forever connected to it!

Edited by cmontheloknow

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Incidentally I always thought that going down would have actually been pretty good for Aberdeen. 

I reckon they would have easily outspent the rest of the league and won it pretty comfortably. It would have been a real kick up the arse for them and would have really cleared out the complacency that set in and a league winning campaign would have got a lot of fans back on side, and the momentum of going up would have helped push them on. It would have been similar to when Hibs went down a couple of seasons before.

I think it would have finished us off, quite frankly. A bit like what happened to Dundee after 1975/76.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

[Applause]

Also - Corinthians?

Reading?

So are Dons fans - Isaiah Ch 40 V 1; 1 Peter Ch 5 V 2; John Ch 21 V 17; Mark Ch 6 V 34; Ezekiel Ch 34 Vs 30 & 31 etc, etc

20 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Further to that I never agreed with consensus of " we were robbed" we were very disappointed after a great campaign would have been more ohnest.  Italy got a perfectly good goal chopped of for offside which would have made it 2-0, then barry fergusons equaliser was actually offside.  all in all looking it was a classic Scottish gallant losers performance

The Georgia game was a killer after the high of beating Ukraine at Hampden the previous Saturday.

Neil Simpson's tackle on Ian Durrant effectively ruined his career. 

Bollocks, albeit he was out for two years this misty eyed theory among **** and the SMSM that he would have been the Scottish Paul Gascoigne* is a pile of gash, on his return to football he played over 200 more games for Rangers l, winning several medals, playing Champions League football, gaining 20 Scotland caps and had a loan spell at Everton in the EPL before having four years at Kilmarnock then retiring in his mid 30's.

He was a good player yes, but never the erstwhile midfield genius on a par with players of that era such as Robson, Gullit, Deschamps, Mattheus and co, he achieved roughly what his talent merited in that era upon recovering from an admittedly serious injury. 

*In the sense that he evolved into a thick as pigshit, drunken ned fond of sectarian songs and kebab shop brawls he did, to an extent emulate Gazza.

7 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I thought we did argue that we were from Rutherglen not Glasgow, but still weren't allowed into it. Stupid Inter-Cities Fairs Cupp rubbish.

Clyde should have been let in had you been regarded as being from Rutherglen? There was a rule that only 1 club per town or city could enter. You finished 3rd but unfortunately Rangers were 2nd.

Your failure is usually put down to being Glasgow FA not Lanarkshire FA members, but that part of the story might be apocryphal.