Greenock Morton vs Arbroath

Well it was never a classic. But we needed the 3 points and got them so I'll take that any day of the week.

Arbroath just couldn't break us down and I can't think of a single save Rodgers had to make.

I liked the look of the set up and we did look organised. Thought the young lad Welsh had his best game for us today he just lapped everything up and won everything in the air.

3 points so onwards and upwards!   

A deserved three points though we huffed and puffed for much of the second half until substitutions (surprise!) improved things again. Arbroath has a fair amount of the ball but created no good chances and if it weren’t for the linesman shiting out of a good penalty claim then the closing stages would have been comfortable enough.

By no means a great performance but that lineup once McLean went off offers a solid foundation to build on, as opposed to the obvious nonsense Hopkin has persisted with for the last two months.

90 mins of hoofball for arbroath & we got what we deserved.

Ref had a shocker & both teams could have had a penalty although the morton one could have been an indirect free kick for dangerous play when hammy tried to head the ball while on the ground

The first one was surely a penalty or a yellow card for diving. It didn’t look like a dive.

Fucking hell, champions elect Arbroath actually lost a game against a team that had all their players? I’m absolutely astounded

.... [emoji849]

We never had all of our players does that count? [emoji23]

As for the game it was one of them that comes along after a good run, doesn't matter what league you're in there's always a poor performance around the corner and tiday was very poor.

Murphy needs to get more physical or fit good player but that has shown as a weakness at EEP and tiday. Bullied too often and Miko was a massive miss

I think Stirling needs to go in there and take on Mikos role as soon as JT is back fit

That goal we lost there was piss poor

I don't think Bobby Linn should ever be taken off either if we are losing. Poor today but he's the one with a moment in him. Had a poor game at home to Morton last time too but won it with a bit of magic

Hopefully that's the shite week out the road for a wee while yet and the trip down to Auchinleck next week is a belter

2 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

90 mins of hoofball for arbroath & we got what we deserved.

Ref had a shocker & both teams could have had a penalty although the morton one could have been an indirect free kick for dangerous play when hammy tried to head the ball while on the ground

To be honest I thought it was more 90 mins of hoofball by Morton, thought Arbroath played a bit of football in the second half (without really bringing out a save from our keeper). I honestly thought Morton were very poor in the second half (although they did defend their goal well). We can't seem to string a few passes together - it's pump it forward regardless of whether there is someone there or not - very poor. (Although the three points were welcome, if not totally deserved)

I wasn’t there today but have it on great authority by a mate who is a massive Morton fan who said overall it was a very poor game with Arbroath the better side and should have had a stonewall penalty, He told me he was heavily  embarrassed at how a full time club could be setup as defensive as they were and still look like the weaker and more lethargic side of the 2 teams. He was grateful and very relived  for the 3 points and also doesn’t expect Hopkins to be there much longer if they continue to play like that and relegation is definitely on the cards, They weren’t much better than last month according to him and that is saying something as they were awful.

All the other comments seem to follow this same trend which is so disappointing after last weeks high , Miko is such a massive player for us and it has obviously shown again today, I agree Stirling should 100% fill in there when he can’t and have Thomson back at right back when he is fit, Also having Swankie back today will be a huge boost and is a real positive 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽️ Onwards and upwards, next week will be a cracker and a welcome rest from this really competitive and intense championship, 

17 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

I wasn’t there today but have it on great authority by a mate who is a massive Morton fan who said overall it was a very poor game with Arbroath the better side and should have had a stonewall penalty, He told me he was heavily  embarrassed at how a full time club could be setup as defensive as they were and still look like the weaker and more lethargic side of the 2 teams. He was grateful and very relived  for the 3 points and also doesn’t expect Hopkins to be there much longer if they continue to play like that and relegation is definitely on the cards, They weren’t much better than last month according to him and that is saying something as they were awful.

All the other comments seem to follow this same trend which is so disappointing after last weeks high , Miko is such a massive player for us and it has obviously shown again today, I agree Stirling should 100% fill in there when he can’t and have Thomson back at right back when he is fit, Also having Swankie back today will be a huge boost and is a real positive 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽️ Onwards and upwards, next week will be a cracker and a welcome rest from this really competitive and intense championship, 

I would agree with most of your mates comments , although I do think there was also a very good call for a Ton penalty (and two free kicks just outside the Arbroath box, which not only not given, were given as Arbroath free kicks?), I'm not saying that, on our performance, we deserved much, but I do think it is a bit unfair to pinpoint the Arbroath Penalty claim and ignore the Morton one. To be honest I thought the referee was poor today (not a great surprise these days).  As I said in my previous post, I thought Arbroath played more football than us in the second half (without bringing out any real saves from our keeper) and thought we were very poor. We seemed to be second to every ball (apart from our defenders, who one a lot of balls, before hoofing it up the park), when we did win the ball in midfield, no player seemed to have confidence and just wanted to get rid of it, like a hot potato. I did however think that Strapp did quite well in the first half and at least seemed to have a bit of heart. Overall, a pretty lucky 3 points.

6 minutes ago, Bailey1874 said:

I would agree with most of your mates comments , although I do think there was also a very good call for a Ton penalty (and two free kicks just outside the Arbroath box, which not only not given, were given as Arbroath free kicks?), I'm not saying that, on our performance, we deserved much, but I do think it is a bit unfair to pinpoint the Arbroath Penalty claim and ignore the Morton one. To be honest I thought the referee was poor today (not a great surprise these days).  As I said in my previous post, I thought Arbroath played more football than us in the second half (without bringing out any real saves from our keeper) and thought we were very poor. We seemed to be second to every ball (apart from our defenders, who one a lot of balls, before hoofing it up the park), when we did win the ball in midfield, no player seemed to have confidence and just wanted to get rid of it, like a hot potato. I did however think that Strapp did quite well in the first half and at least seemed to have a bit of heart. Overall, a pretty lucky 3 points.

Congrats anyway mate and all the best for the rest of the season 👍🏻 Again today just shows how tight and intense the Championship is, The games are so tight and often settled by the 1 goal and I always feel getting that first goal is so crucial, any team can beat anyone in this  league and it will come down to consistency as sometimes like today no matter how unpretty it is you just gotta grind out the result 👍🏻🇱🇻⚽