Dumbarton vs Falkirk

That first half was a worrying carbon copy of the Airdrie game last week. Playing ok and creating some chances, the opposition come forward on the half hour mark and score, followed by us completely shitting the bed. If we don't get the first goal, this squad simply doesn't have the bottle to turn it round. I lost count of the number of crosses that hit the first man, free headers that went astray, even Gomis had an off day. Mark Durnan's positioning for the Dumbarton goal was nothing short of horrendous. Dixon's non-existent defending in the build-up almost goes without saying. So the players do have to take some responsibility for the performance yesterday as well.

However, the set up once again from McKinnon was bizarre, opting to play 4-2-3-1 for the first time this season. It clearly wasn't working, Miller hasn't played in weeks and it really showed. McManus was so isolated up front. Often the only option was to pump the ball long which were dealt with easily by the Dumbarton defenders. Then there were the substitutions, taking off easily our most creative player in Longridge and in truth the only one who was giving Dumbarton any real problems. Then taking off Connolly and replacing him with Sammon, but playing him on the left wing. 

The penalty I thought was fairly stonewall (though I am biased), and you just can't go giving away possible fouls in the box with Barry Cook around, as we found out down at Queen of the South at the end of last season. I thought we could've had another earlier on when the pull back on McManus started outside - but continued in to the box. Would need to see both incidents again though and I wouldn't put it past Cook to have got both of them wrong - he was his fairly useless self yesterday for both sides - managing to miss Dixon clatter a Dumbarton player right in front of him and also awarding some of the softest 'fouls' you'll see all season.

I think we deserved a point - although we were awful Dumbarton weren't any better tbh, any capable side should have ragdolled us in that second half but Dumbarton barely threatened our goal.

The only positive of the afternoon was the anger by the support directed at McKinnon, Lex Miller and Andy Thomson for their parts in that shambles yesterday. Hopefully a new manager can come in and provide some much needed stability. 

Guest Ecosse83
6 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

That first half was a worrying carbon copy of the Airdrie game last week. Playing ok and creating some chances, the opposition come forward on the half hour mark and score, followed by us completely shitting the bed. If we don't get the first goal, this squad simply doesn't have the bottle to turn it round. I lost count of the number of crosses that hit the first man, free headers that went astray, even Gomis had an off day. Mark Durnan's positioning for the Dumbarton goal was nothing short of horrendous. Dixon's non-existent defending in the build-up almost goes without saying. So the players do have to take some responsibility for the performance yesterday as well.

However, the set up once again from McKinnon was bizarre, opting to play 4-2-3-1 for the first time this season. It clearly wasn't working, Miller hasn't played in weeks and it really showed. McManus was so isolated up front. Often the only option was to pump the ball long which were dealt with easily by the Dumbarton defenders. Then there were the substitutions, taking off easily our most creative player in Longridge and in truth the only one who was giving Dumbarton any real problems. Then taking off Connolly and replacing him with Sammon, but playing him on the left wing. 

The penalty I thought was fairly stonewall (though I am biased), and you just can't go giving away possible fouls in the box with Barry Cook around, as we found out down at Queen of the South at the end of last season. I thought we could've had another earlier on when the pull back on McManus started outside - but continued in to the box. Would need to see both incidents again though and I wouldn't put it past Cook to have got both of them wrong - he was his fairly useless self yesterday for both sides - managing to miss Dixon clatter a Dumbarton player right in front of him and also awarding some of the softest 'fouls' you'll see all season.

I think we deserved a point - although we were awful Dumbarton weren't any better tbh, any capable side should have ragdolled us in that second half but Dumbarton barely threatened our goal.

The only positive of the afternoon was the anger by the support directed at McKinnon, Lex Miller and Andy Thomson for their parts in that shambles yesterday. Hopefully a new manager can come in and provide some much needed stability. 

As soon as I seen him in the starting 11 I knew McKinnon was done. Desperate move starting him yesterday!

Guest Moomintroll
He saved, and repeatedly posted a photo of a Falkirk fan crying after Dundee Utd beat us in the play offs.

Said female fan was about 7 years old.
Serious question, why is VT still on here given the repetitive angry drivel he churns out & this new infornation that I had somehow missed? Makes a change from p***k with a fork to be fair but he is clearly a wrong 'un.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Jan puts together a really good post there, bit the snide dig at Falkirk fans for giving Joe McKee stick cant pass by.... Joe McKee deserves every bit of abuse he gets from Falkirk fans and I was one of the very last to turn on him.

Fucking shitebag wage thief.

As I said I know Joe, we had him on the podcast a month or so back and I get on really well with him. He's been excellent for us this season and I don't think anyone has more assists in League One than he does.

The way both he and Mark Kerr spoke about the end of their time at Falkirk, and the fact that neither said they were surprised that you guys weren't romping the league this season like us jobber journos thought you would, tells me that your problems run a wee bit deeper than McKinnon, Hartley or Houston. Just as they run a wee bit deeper than Joe McKee or whichever other players have left over the last two seasons.

Genuine question, since the demise started under Houston, how many players have had good spells with Falkirk? Jakubiak, Nelson and Rudden were the first who come to mind, but it doesn't seem to be a club where players are going and performing.

Some outstanding acoustics from the away end on the Goal Cam this week by the way.

I think we need to offer a plea in mitigation here; six seasons in the Championship with limited crowds but a sizeable wage bill, added to a shambolic ownership situation, has left us in financial shit creek.

As such Jim Duffy has been forced to assemble a Poundland squad, and you've now seen the evidence twice this season. It is not a dream team of any Sons fan. However, if we see the commitment and effort we witnessed yesterday they will continue to get our full backing in what is essentially a crucial season for stabilising the club. Staying up is the realistic aim.

Does anyone know why Sons TV has stopped? I was fairly certain new sponsorship was secured recently.
David J has had ongoing health concerns as was shared at the recent Trust EGM, and when you heard how much he was doing free gratis it confirms what a loss his service is. We wish him a full and speedy recovery

With even worse commentary than usual

Know the one that got me, was where the Forfar goalkeeper handled the ball inside his box (just), even if it had been out it was at the goal line so was in no way denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity and the boy is screaming that’s a red card [emoji23][emoji23] watch them with the sound off now.

Was up from Newcastle at this game, on account of being at a gig in Glasgow last night. Went with my mate who is a Falkirk fan who got me a ticket. To be absolutely frank, the anger and vitriol of the Falkirk fans seemed to grow more intense the further west in the stand they were. The last block seemed incandescent from the start. Despite being on top in chances, they went a goal down to some dreadful marking and a nice cross and finish. This caused things to turn. Half time was a cue for rancorous, well-deserved, booing, while booing the team back on made t feel like I was at Galatasaray or Red Star Belgrade.

The penalty seemed incredibly soft, but also immaterial to the Falkirk fans who, like the team, didn't seem to celebrate. The full time message was obvious and news of McKinnon's departure was inevitable. Some afternoon that was.......

1 hour ago, Payaso de Mierda said:

Was up from Newcastle at this game, on account of being at a gig in Glasgow last night. Went with my mate who is a Falkirk fan who got me a ticket. To be absolutely frank, the anger and vitriol of the Falkirk fans seemed to grow more intense the further west in the stand they were. The last block seemed incandescent from the start. Despite being on top in chances, they went a goal down to some dreadful marking and a nice cross and finish. This caused things to turn. Half time was a cue for rancorous, well-deserved, booing, while booing the team back on made t feel like I was at Galatasaray or Red Star Belgrade.

The penalty seemed incredibly soft, but also immaterial to the Falkirk fans who, like the team, didn't seem to celebrate. The full time message was obvious and news of McKinnon's departure was inevitable. Some afternoon that was.......

Glad you enjoyed it.