Dumbarton vs Falkirk

A great day for Dumbarton, Falkirk and Morton fans. Maybe even Dundee Utd fans too. Anyone else have a serious dislike for McKinnon?

Game itself; not sure the penalty was in the box, or sure that Huttons foul was outside it, loved how physical the game was and how competitive and determined our players were. Hutton and Carswell set the tone by smashing into everyone to win the ball back.

Actually thought Cook had a decent game, it was obvious both sides were happy to knock lumps out each other and he went along with it.

Actually thought Cook had a decent game, it was obvious both sides were happy to knock lumps out each other and he went along with it.

Anyone else notice how long it take him to book a player? Was like a full 30 seconds per player just to write down their name and number was doing my but in.

Also at the penalty for a good 20 seconds or so he was standing right over the ball as McManus was waiting to take it just sterling at the players at the edge of the box. Proper weird behaviour.

I thought Cook was listening to his linesman when he was standing over the ball at times, but then I noticed he was talking to the players at the same time so dismissed that notion.

Anyone else notice how long it take him to book a player? Was like a full 30 seconds per player just to write down their name and number was doing my but in.

Also at the penalty for a good 20 seconds or so he was standing right over the ball as McManus was waiting to take it just sterling at the players at the edge of the box. Proper weird behaviour.

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

Screenshot_20191117-060731_Chrome.jpg

What a vile individual you are. If I was that laddies dad I'd hunt you down and put you 6ft under!

Edited by Ecosse83

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

What a vile individual you are. If I was that laddies dad I'd hunt you down and put you 6ft under!

If I was "that laddies dad" I'd put him on a crash diet.  Marshmallow looks about 30 btw so I doubt Daddy will have to hunt anyone down 😂

Can I, for a brief moment, talk about the football match that happened yesterday?

That performance was much more like it from us after some pretty off the boil showings recently. The players, to a man, looked totally motivated and up for it - and without McCluskey and Shiels we didn't have anyone shirking challenges. Which was good, because it was a very physical game.

Although Hutton got Man of the Match I think I'd have given it to big Isaac Layne. I've torn into him in recent weeks because he's been so far off the pace, but yesterday he gave us everything we need from a striker. He worked tirelessly, caused no end of bother for Gregor Buchanan and Mark Durnan, held play up well, ran the channels well, used the ball well and took one of the few chances that came his way. Shades of Jim Lister about his showing. I spoke to him after the game (full story in next week's Lennox) and he basically said that he looked himself in the mirror and asked if he was doing everything he could for the team, and realised he wasn't. I've got a lot of time for that honesty.

Aside from him I thought that was the best Adam Frizzell has played since his debut. He was always involved, as neat and tidy as ever and not afraid to get stuck in. Crossan was a threat as per and McKee's contribution speaks for itself. His ball in for the goal was absolutely sensational and I dread to think where we'd be without his 11 assists this season. He really is a quality player - and I'm not just saying that because we're podcast pals now.

It was a shame he was forced off by illness (big ups to the Falkirk fans singing cheerio to him going off immediately after setting up a goal btw...) but I can't take anything away from Ruaridh Langan when he came on. He gives us something totally different and I think he's got the potential to be a wee star. He's solid defensively, never shirks a tackle, gets about the pitch well and his short, sharp passing is lovely. You really wouldn't know that he had barely played any first team football until this season, and the difference between him and some of the other younger, development league signings we've made (*looks at Shiels and Zata*) is night and day.

Defensively the back four did what was asked of them. Tumilty looked better this week and, despite his distribution being absolutely woeful 90% of the time, it's hard not to like Quitongo. He never hides, he loves getting stuck in and he's a brave wee guy who'll chuck himself at everything. If the Shiels family wonder why he's playing ahead of their lad then that's the simple reason. Even when he was clearly carrying an injury he didn't jump out of tackles - and I have a lot of time for that.

Taker of bodies McMillan was fine when he came on too given it feels like he hasn't played for about 15 years, and Duffy was right to bring him on in a game like that. He might tackle like a total lunatic but he used his experience well to keep the back four tight. I'd be tempted to start him next week if Quitongo is still carrying a knock.

On next week by the way Shiels and Frizzell are available. Tumilty isn't yet. So if he's out then we could see McMillan at RB and Shiels back at LB.

As for Falkirk, well there's no doubt at all that they were not a team playing for Ray McKinnon. They looked so disinterested it was unreal, they were slack in possession and, to be honest, would've been put to the sword convincingly by the likes of East Fife or Airdrie if they turned in a showing like that.

It says a lot when a side with the technical ability of Morgaro Gomis, Charlie Telfer, Louis Longridge and Aidan Connolly turf Conor Sammon and David McMillan up top and just launch high balls at them. If they had any sense they'd try and play round us, but that was the last act of desperation from McKinnon - it worked too I suppose, but any semi-competent manager would have that team playing some decent stuff and winning games comfortably.

On Barry Cook? I see why he gave the penalty. Especially given the rules at the moment. So no real complaints there. Strange mind you that he didn't award us a free-kick on the edge of the box literally 30 seconds later for exactly the same offence, but I had came to expect that inconsistency from him.

Doyle was a very, very lucky boy. To pick up a booking, have a kick out at Crossan about a minute later in full view of the assistant, then concede two more bookable fouls and stay on for the full 90 was quite remarkable. I thought Cook looked a wee bit like a rabbit in the headlights every time things got angry and that maybe affected his decision making. I just don't think he's the sort of referee who deals with a heated set of circumstances very well. It looks to get him a bit flustered.

Performance wise I can't fault any one of our players. We have played worse than that and won (in a few games actually). The big challenge for Duffy is to get a performance like that near enough every week. If we do that then we'll have a decent season.

Great to hear that about Layne, Jan. Sounds like Duffy has got his head right and Layne is working at his attitude, hoping he continues to improve.

Agree on Doyle, after his booking and then "off the ball" incident with Crossan, you quite clearly heard Cook tell him "no more". Frizzell then went past him and he brought him down quite cynically, I really don't know how he stayed on the park.

As frustrating as Cook's decisions were at times, I'll stop short of blaming him. We had a good bit of pressure in the second half and a number of corners and we wasted every one of them, I also feel Layne should be keeping himself onside for the one Carswell crossed/shot that we had ruled out. Plenty positives this week though.

Jan puts together a really good post there, bit the snide dig at Falkirk fans for giving Joe McKee stick cant pass by.... Joe McKee deserves every bit of abuse he gets from Falkirk fans and I was one of the very last to turn on him.

Fucking shitebag wage thief.