When do you go to sleep?

My sleeps been properly fucked for about 2 years now. I can get to sleep okay, usually around 11pm but staying asleep is a real issue. I'd say on average I get about 3 hours sleep a night now, maximum. I tried all the shit they tell you, no TV in bedroom, don't eat big meals before bed, avoid snacking on chocolate or sugary stuff, no smoking right before bed, all of that shit. Didn't help. I have two cats who usually crawl into my room and sleep next to me and I thought maybe locking them out might stop me being woken with a paw in the face at 2am, but they just scratch f**k out the door now until I need to get up and let them in (the boy cat can do this for hours without stopping, he really is a relentless wee fucker until he gets what he wants).

Recently I started doing a sleep deprevation therapy. Essentially you chose a time that you go to bed (in my case no later than 11pm) and a time you get up (7am in my case). If you haven't fallen asleep after 20 minutes you should get up and read a book, or lie down in another place, or do anything really that isn't lying in bed staring at the ceiling, until you feel like falling asleep when you should return to bed.  If you get to sleep then wake up at say 2am, again you use that 20 minute rule - no sleep, get up and do something else. The supposed reasoning for all of this is that some people are constantly, either consciously or unconsciously, worrying about whether they'll get sleep and if they'll be tired for whatever tasks they've got the next day (and how that vicious circle then continues every day and night), so this helps train the body and mind to worry less about fixed sleeping time.  By keeping the 11pm-7am window you keep routine despite having a fucked sleep pattern.

Supposed to be good for depression too, but I can't say I feel any happier.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If you haven't fallen asleep after 20 minutes you should get up and read a book, or lie down in another place, or do anything really that isn't lying in bed staring at the ceiling, until you feel like falling asleep when you should return to bed.

I tried this last week after tossing and turning for a couple of hours and it did indeed work a treat.

Went down the stairs and read the first book I saw on the shelf, which happened to be a random copy of Aberdeen's Green heritage trail that I had never seen before.    https://www.visitabdn.com/assets/green-trail-leaflet.pdf

"The supposed reasoning for all of this is that some people are constantly, either consciously or unconsciously, worrying about whether they'll get sleep and if they'll be tired for whatever tasks they've got the next day (and how that vicious circle then continues every day and night), so this helps train the body and mind to worry less about fixed sleeping time."

I've clocked that I seem to get less sleep when I'm evidently subconsciously worrying about keeping my other half awake.  I'll struggle to sleep and then as soon as she gets up early then I'll evidently get some solid kip for 45 mins. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I tried this last week after tossing and turning for a couple of hours and it did indeed work a treat.

Went down the stairs and read the first book I saw on the shelf, which happened to be a random copy of Aberdeen's Green heritage trail that I had never seen before.    https://www.visitabdn.com/assets/green-trail-leaflet.pdf

Aye, I find reading a book does make me tired but when I do fall asleep I can be awake again 30 minutes later. On the plus side I'm getting through a hell of a lot of books.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Aye, I find reading a book does make me tired but when I do fall asleep I can be awake again 30 minutes later. On the plus side I'm getting through a hell of a lot of books.

I seem to wake up at around 2am most days and then struggle to get back to sleep.  From personal evidence, it seems there's a good chance that this is linked to a few drinks in the evening, perhaps even too much recently as I read some stuff recently about your liver doing something around that sort of time.  :unsure:

I work constant backshift at the moment, I get in about 1230am and I am trying to sleep quickly, I usually stay up to about 230am or 3am. It completely fucks me.

I reckon my health has deteriorated as a result.

Got one of these recently:

613IREtmm7L._SX679_.jpg

It's great. It starts lightning up half an hour before the alarm goes off, gradually getting brighter until the alarm goes off. The alarm is bird noises (there's 5 options for the alarm but that's the one I chose).

Definitely works in terms of feeling fresher when I get up. I don't feel jolted out of sleep like I did with my phone alarm. Works good as a bedside light as well.

There's a nice but pointless feature where the light cycles through all the colours as well.

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Got one of these recently:

613IREtmm7L._SX679_.jpg

It's great. It starts lightning up half an hour before the alarm goes off, gradually getting brighter until the alarm goes off. The alarm is bird noises (there's 5 options for the alarm but that's the one I chose).

Definitely works in terms of feeling fresher when I get up. I don't feel jolted out of sleep like I did with my phone alarm. Works good as a bedside light as well.

There's a nice but pointless feature where the light cycles through all the colours as well.

Get yourself one of these to help you drift off at night, or get D.A.F.C to come round and read you a story.

baby-mobile_db709aa1-0a47-4a79-9714-3291cfe69b73_1200x.jpg

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Get yourself one of these to help you drift off at night, or get D.A.F.C to come round and read you a story.

baby-mobile_db709aa1-0a47-4a79-9714-3291cfe69b73_1200x.jpg

I have no issues getting to sleep, or indeed staying asleep.

I'm a good sleeper.