Phillips Hue-Gimmick or gamechanger?

Hi all!

Not sure if in right section, but ill give it a bash

Not long finished renovations to my place, and wanted to get myself into the 'modern age'

Saw the phillips hue voice/smartphone/alexa compatible colour changing lights, led strips etc. Thought about putting them in the living room, hallway and bedroom, and an led strip across the skirting boards behind the tv to light it up in the evenings.

Does anyone have one on here, thoughts reviews etc? Only thing putting me off is the starter kit seems obscenely expensive at nigh on £160....

Hi all!
Not sure if in right section, but ill give it a bash
Not long finished renovations to my place, and wanted to get myself into the 'modern age'
Saw the phillips hue voice/smartphone/alexa compatible colour changing lights, led strips etc. Thought about putting them in the living room, hallway and bedroom, and an led strip across the skirting boards behind the tv to light it up in the evenings.
Does anyone have one on here, thoughts reviews etc? Only thing putting me off is the starter kit seems obscenely expensive at nigh on £160....
You will get sets a lot cheaper than that.

I've got the colour changing ones and led strip in the living room and white ones in the bedrooms.

Turns on the lights automatically when it gets dark and back off automatically later on.

I've got switches in some of the rooms as using an app is a faff all the time.

It is expensive but it is a quality product.

Have a search on Hot UK Deals for Hue to get an idea of the prices you can get.

54 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

You will get sets a lot cheaper than that.

I've got the colour changing ones and led strip in the living room and white ones in the bedrooms.

Turns on the lights automatically when it gets dark and back off automatically later on.

I've got switches in some of the rooms as using an app is a faff all the time.

It is expensive but it is a quality product.

Have a search on Hot UK Deals for Hue to get an idea of the prices you can get.

This. I've got some in the living room and had them on the landing in the last house - they went on and off automatically.

I guess you'll only really get the best of them if you've also got Alexa or a Google home device.

As the others have said, you'll get others that do the same thing for a lot less. I have theses

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GQYP8ZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They connect to an app called Smart Life which can then connect to Google or Alexa