Emigration - Impressions and differences of your new/old land?

Kejan

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Bevvying is definitely a cultural thing. Miami isn't a drinking town at all, and I remember a mate having to go on a diet that meant he couldn't drink for 9 weeks and I didn't see why that would be a big issue, wouldn't have been for me. Chicago has more breweries than anywhere else in the country (165 at last count) and I'm now a fat c**t. 

That Brit style weekend binge drinking culture doesn't exist where I am. I think people here would genuinely be surprised why anyone would want to get so plastered so frequently.

That Brit style weekend binge drinking culture doesn't exist where I am. I think people here would genuinely be surprised why anyone would want to get so plastered so frequently.

Do you not live in San Francisco, where the population is evenly split between tech billionaires and homeless junkies shiteing everywhere?

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

It's not so much the having 20 pints thing here, it's more that a lot of the local stuff is really good and every boozer will have at least 6 taps of it. Because I moved relatively late in life, I have a beer routine - here is a pint of Tennents or similar, which is about 4% and it will take me x amount of time to drink. Replace that with some Half Acre IPA at 7% and drink it in the same amount of time and you're essentially having two drinks for the one you used to. You will get some places serve stronger stuff in smaller measures, but my local hasn't updated anything since 19 canteen (seriously, they still have the carbon paper and phone for credit cards) so it's just pints for everything. A lot of times that I'm pished these days, it's halfway accidental. 

15 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It's not so much the having 20 pints thing here, it's more that a lot of the local stuff is really good and every boozer will have at least 6 taps of it. Because I moved relatively late in life, I have a beer routine - here is a pint of Tennents or similar, which is about 4% and it will take me x amount of time to drink. Replace that with some Half Acre IPA at 7% and drink it in the same amount of time and you're essentially having two drinks for the one you used to. You will get some places serve stronger stuff in smaller measures, but my local hasn't updated anything since 19 canteen (seriously, they still have the carbon paper and phone for credit cards) so it's just pints for everything. A lot of times that I'm pished these days, it's halfway accidental. 

Image result for francis urquhart gif

Agree with most of what the other Yank transplants have said. I find the bevvy "culture" weird (except in NY) and the healthcare veers between terrifying and perplexing.

Main difference I find is how uptight folk are. Now hear me out - they're friendly, talkative and will absolutely help you if they can - but holy shit, don't be anything different from the 'small c" conservatism that they've known all their lives. I said "c**t" once whilst watching NFL in a bar and there were audible gasps. 

Conversely, where I am is pretty similar to Scotland (hills, trees, cold as hour old piss) and I met a Hearts fan from Edinburgh living 20 minutes down the road so I've still got a fellow halfwit to discuss Clevid Dikamona with. 

On the still feeling Scottish thing, every time I get on the rum I play Caledonia and if I ever lost my accent I'd swiftly take advantage of the lax gun laws over here. So aye, all in all it's a chuckle.

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 11/11/2019 at 05:05, weirdcal said:
Down county cork, place near clonakilty.

Ah, black pudding country

Aye. And opened a distillery in town too. Fairly nice whiskey