Pete Wishart

invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

The Greens should stand down in every marginally held seat. There’s a bigger picture here.

When I read a comment like this I think we're in danger of replacing red with yellow. Not aiming this at Wishart in particular though.

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/14886495.peter-geoghegan-labours-days-of-monkeys-with-red-rosettes-are-over/

That's not how it works. All monies have to be raised locally and whilst we can do that the more of yous stick a fiver in the less plant sales and coffee mornings i have to attend.
I think every SNP candidate is crowd funding 

The people of #Perthshire deserve to see your mug out and about mate. Don’t deprive them of that.

IMO Pete was very ill advised to come out and say what he said. Not to think it but say it.

SNP should be winning P&NP with far more than 1000 majorities and in any case i dont see Greens getting over 500 this time if they even stand.

Our problem last time was getting our known supporters out to vote.

IMO Pete was very ill advised to come out and say what he said. Not to think it but say it.

SNP should be winning P&NP with far more than 1000 majorities and in any case i dont see Greens getting over 500 this time if they even stand.

Our problem last time was getting our known supporters out to vote.

Wishart is a bit of a rotter tbh.

If the Greens run, then that won't be very good and may take votes away from the SNP, however people should be wise enough to realise this will give the Tories an advantage. The 2017 campaign was so poor it's a surprise he kept his seat, albeit by an absolute bawhair. Thsi time around it's completely different. The Tories aren't banging the "Vote for us to stop indyref!!11" drum quite as loudly this time around and are more focusing on Brexit. Can see him keeping his seat tbh if he has a decent campaign and doesn't sit with his thumb up his erchie. 

8 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

No, seriously. What is your role? I hope your job isn't to sit online, posing as a regular punter, monitoring websites like this and pumping out the party line of the day.

I was quite serious. Apart from my side job for the Internet Research Agency fomenting the break up of the British Empire, my sole stake in the election is what I put on a hung parliament. 

20 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

If the Greens run, then that won't be very good and may take votes away from the SNP, however people should be wise enough to realise this will give the Tories an advantage. The 2017 campaign was so poor it's a surprise he kept his seat, albeit by an absolute bawhair. Thsi time around it's completely different. The Tories aren't banging the "Vote for us to stop indyref!!11" drum quite as loudly this time around and are more focusing on Brexit. Can see him keeping his seat tbh if he has a decent campaign and doesn't sit with his thumb up his erchie. 

The Tories aren't mentioning Brexit at all in Scotland, apart from their "No More Referendums!" slogan. Look at their literature, it's all about indy.

EIuFld8W4AAnQiH.jpg:large

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Tories aren't mentioning Brexit at all in Scotland, apart from their "No More Referendums!" slogan. Look at their literature, it's all about indy.

EIuFld8W4AAnQiH.jpg:large

I think on social media more they've been hitting home Brexit as well as IndyRef. Last time around it seemed to be no indyref2 and that was it. Nothing on social policy. Nothing on welfare. Nothing on ecological issues.

It worked for them. But this time around it won't. 

I’m a massive SNP fanboy & want the Tories obliterated in Scotland, however, Wishart or indeed any other candidate is wrong to moan / complain at the Greens not standing aside. Ideally we wouldn’t be using FPTP & situations like this wouldn’t arise, but that’s what it is & the SNP just need to run a better campaign tbh.

4 hours ago, tirso said:

The old tune getting played "a vote for the snp is a vote for the Tories" which bored us all for many years.
Same tune, different note.

Pete Wishart needs more people in Perth to vote for him than any other party. It's been done for many years already. A vote is a vote for whatever you want. Young people deserve the chance too to vote for who the want, in my opinion.

If people think green before SNP that's their choice. The SNP box is still there, it's not going anywhere.

I've come round to thinking that way. From a selfish point of view I'd like to see Brexit given a savage kicking and that means as many SNP MPs returned as possible. But what about the person who sees all this Brexit as meaningless compared to the bigger picture of global warming and the future of the planet? They deserve the chance to vote Green if they want. 

7 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’m a massive SNP fanboy & want the Tories obliterated in Scotland, however, Wishart or indeed any other candidate is wrong to moan / complain at the Greens not standing aside. Ideally we wouldn’t be using FPTP & situations like this wouldn’t arise, but that’s what it is & the SNP just need to run a better campaign tbh.

Exactly the Greens have little chance of many seats in a FPTP system. Success for them is increasing their percentage of the vote. They won't do that stepping aside to a party who support what is a secondary issue to them.

I'd agree with the Greens not stepping aside in any normal election but i think this one is different. Rightly or wrongly, this is a single-issue election on Brexit and all over the UK, parties are working together and some are stepping down in marginal areas where there is a chance that Tories or worse, The Brexit party, might succeed.

I have seen quite a bit of Scottish Green advert/promotional material (as I have voted for them before) around the environment and climate change.  These are massive issues and hugely important, but this is not the campaign to be fighting on that platform. Even if they won one seat, they have next to no chance of achieving anything with it in Westminster, who mainly care more about the money they can gain. The Scottish Greens best hope is achieving independence and influencing policy in Scotland.

I think if they stand and they do split the remain/Indy vote in Scotland, and the Tories get in, then they will potentially damage themselves more than do themselves good. 

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I'd agree with the Greens not stepping aside in any normal election but i think this one is different. Rightly or wrongly, this is a single-issue election on Brexit and all over the UK, parties are working together and some are stepping down in marginal areas where there is a chance that Tories or worse, The Brexit party, might succeed.

I have seen quite a bit of Scottish Green advert/promotional material (as I have voted for them before) around the environment and climate change.  These are massive issues and hugely important, but this is not the campaign to be fighting on that platform. Even if they won one seat, they have next to no chance of achieving anything with it in Westminster, who mainly care more about the money they can gain. The Scottish Greens best hope is achieving independence and influencing policy in Scotland.

I think if they stand and they do split the remain/Indy vote in Scotland, and the Tories get in, then they will potentially damage themselves more than do themselves good. 

No their objective is to get as many votes as possible to push what they see as a far more important issue than brexit. If someone else get's in because of that all that will happen is people who never voted for them anyway will say "I'm never voting Green again."  A la labour voters response to SNP supposedly letting Thatcher in in '79.

It's a flaw of the FPTP system. But it is a system that will benefit SNP more than most.

Given the Greens only stood in 5 seats in 2017, supposed to be up to 20 this time, why would they specifically choose a Tory/SNP marginal to stand in? From what I can see they didn't get any councillors elected in Perth in the last elections, so it's not like Perth is a Green hotbed. Maybe it's just that they have an enthusiastic local branch.

My objection isn’t the Greens potentially standing aside, I’d be delighted if they chose to do so, it’s the SNP candidate criticism of a decision that
A. Hasn’t yet been made.
B. Has nothing to do with the SNP

Too heavy criticism may also affect the loose pact in Holyrood.
It’s not in the too distant past that the SNP were a minority party in Westminster elections & its only through fielding candidates that this has changed to us becoming the only show in town.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Actually the campaign in P&NP last time around was so good that we held the seat in the face of a national swing which said we should have lost the seat before Gordon, Stirling, Moray, Angus, Aberdeen South and more.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

1. Because there are rules about who can donate to individual poltical campaigns which would prevent them doing this.

HQ pay for national materials, mailshots, advertising, IT systems etc etc but every constituency campaign is an individual campaign

2. The SNP HQ actually dont have that much money. Obviously much more than they had but you can see where that goes on increased social media presence etc Most of the membership fees go back into local branches. 

To give you an idea a branch like mine with 200 members gets about 300 quid a month (most new members pay a quid a month)

Out of that we need to pay for hall hire, conference delegates, postage, constituency office levies to pay for rent,rates and utilities and constituency office staff etc 

Beyond that since the big jump in membership late 2014 we are onto General Election number 3 and have had Scottish elections, local elections, euro elections and euro referendums as well as having to pay a levy for by elections such as Shetland

As well as national naterials HQ buy we need to pay for local candidate specific materials,postage,posters, venue hire etc

Elections are massively expensive and even Labour and Tories are down to brass tacks. The difference being a local Labour candidate can expect a nice 2500k cheque from the local union or Tories from a local business man. 

Whereas by and large we rely on individual donations and fucking coffee mornings 

To be honest, if you get the right people along, those particular coffee mornings could be decent. 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Has Wishart actually said anything about it? There was something in the National behind a pay wall, no idea what.

Bits and pieces on social media. In his usual style he has been quite sarky about it, however (and I may be wrong), he hasn't went as far as asking them to stand aside publicly. Whats been said behind closed doors is anyone's guess though.