Pete Wishart

invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I'd agree with the Greens not stepping aside in any normal election but i think this one is different. Rightly or wrongly, this is a single-issue election on Brexit and all over the UK, parties are working together and some are stepping down in marginal areas where there is a chance that Tories or worse, The Brexit party, might succeed.

If this is a single issue election then why are the SNP not stepping aside for the LibDems given that the SNP can only return a minority of MPs.  Of course with the SNP it's always single issue just not the one that you allude to.

Whilst it may affect the SNP more than the other parties, plenty of Green voters that I know wouldn't vote for the SNP under any circumstance so give everyone the opportunity to vote for as wide a selection of candidates for the fairest result.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

If this is a single issue election then why are the SNP not stepping aside for the LibDems given that the SNP can only return a minority of MPs.  Of course with the SNP it's always single issue just not the one that you allude to.

Whilst it may affect the SNP more than the other parties, plenty of Green voters that I know wouldn't vote for the SNP under any circumstance so give everyone the opportunity to vote for as wide a selection of candidates for the fairest result.

The "single issue election" is undoubtedly more relevant to England than Scotland, however that said, I'm not one who agrees with tactical voting in any way shape or form.

As for the Greens never supporting the SNP, I find this rather bizarre as the Scottish Greens are 100% behind Independence and I assume you were insinuating that your Green supporting friends were against this, so as I say, all rather bizarre...........

46 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The "single issue election" is undoubtedly more relevant to England than Scotland, however that said, I'm not one who agrees with tactical voting in any way shape or form.

As for the Greens never supporting the SNP, I find this rather bizarre as the Scottish Greens are 100% behind Independence and I assume you were insinuating that your Green supporting friends were against this, so as I say, all rather bizarre...........

I never stated that the Greens never support the SNP. 

Green voters that I know vote Green for reasons other than independence and would vote Green even if they were a unionist party.  Not everyone in Scotland votes on the basis of independence.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Green voters that I know vote Green for reasons other than independence and would vote Green even if they were a unionist party.  Not everyone in Scotland votes on the basis of independence.

Yeah, but by voting green.... they're as well just voting for anti-climate parties, because that's who they're helping out anyway. bQshDtu.png

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

In fairness I've never actually met anyone who voted for the Green party, however, the point I was making is that THEY are supportive of independence, so your Unionist friends, by voting Green, are in fact still voting for independence............

Incidentally, the main problem with the "climate" vote, is that unless there's a global cooperation including the likes of India, China, Russia & the USA, then it makes the whole exercise completely pointless, as the likes of the UK along with the Scandinavian countries could have zero emissions and be 100% green and it wouldn't make a shred of difference to our environment.

In Economic terms we'd just be completely screwing ourselves.................

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness I've never actually met anyone who voted for the Green party, however, the point I was making is that THEY are supportive of independence, so your Unionist friends, by voting Green, are in fact still voting for independence............

Take away the green element and they aren't voting SNP was my original point.  None of the people that I am talking about live in Perthshire so it isn't directly related to Wishart but more a general observation.

58 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Yeah, but by voting green.... they're as well just voting for anti-climate parties, because that's who they're helping out anyway. bQshDtu.png

Which "anti-climate parties" are there?  I would suggest that in comparison to the Green Part, the rest of the political parties would meet this definition and therefore whatever point you are trying to make is, actually, pointless.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Which "anti-climate parties" are there?  I would suggest that in comparison to the Green Part, the rest of the political parties would meet this definition and therefore whatever point you are trying to make is, actually, pointless.

The Tories, The Brexit Party, UKIP..... and pretty much every party on the right that puts corporate interests before the future survival of the human race.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

tenor.gif

23 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

The Greens emailed their members asking their opinion on whether they should stand in marginals like Pete's seat. Think they are meeting next week to decide. 

They emailed members today saying they will not be standing in both Perthshire constituencies. 

Right Pete, get the finger oot.

Have they officially pulled out then?

I find it an odd decision planning to stand, but don't understand the outrage at it. They are a political party, independent of the SNP and a different agenda. They are entitled to stand and its almost a touch arrogant of the SNP expecting anyone who is an independence supporter to stand aside for them.

And if you vote for the Greens over the SNP at this election, then independence obviously doesn't mean that much to you. Saying that, I know three Green voters who are all going SNP this election and in the words of one ''We've got Holyrood and local elections to vote for the party.''

The big key to a lot of seats not just in P&NT but all across Scotland especially those tartan Tory teuchter areas formerly SNP will be the Brexit Party standing. Even if they knock up 3% of the vote, there are if not more than 20 constituencies that have 2-1000 votes in it and may well help the SNP sow up those areas.

So fingers crossed, Brexit stand in a lot of areas especially those fishing and north areas.

22 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Incidentally, the main problem with the "climate" vote, is that unless there's a global cooperation including the likes of India, China, Russia & the USA, then it makes the whole exercise completely pointless, as the likes of the UK along with the Scandinavian countries could have zero emissions and be 100% green and it wouldn't make a shred of difference to our environment.

In Economic terms we'd just be completely screwing ourselves.................

I'm not so sure; if you unilaterally make policy decisions geared for example to cleaner air in cities (working towards getting rid of diesel cars and the like), protecting grassland/woodland etc. then hopefully other countries can see the positive impact it makes and follow suit, or at least it gives a strong example that others can point to elsewhere. Even from a purely practical standpoint having your major cities turn into smog infested shithole's isn't good for attracting investment  (afaik even China are starting to recognise that.)

Edit: with how the last holyrood election turned out im tempted to go SNP/Greens on the list, but i reckon we'll have another indyref before that so nothing concrete. Got the GE first but the less adversarial the greens and snp can be for the WM or holyrood the better. Leaving aside Brexit the prospect of an emboldened Tory majority government is a horrible one.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 08/11/2019 at 09:52, invergowrie arab said:

1. Because there are rules about who can donate to individual poltical campaigns which would prevent them doing this.

HQ pay for national materials, mailshots, advertising, IT systems etc etc but every constituency campaign is an individual campaign

2. The SNP HQ actually dont have that much money. Obviously much more than they had but you can see where that goes on increased social media presence etc Most of the membership fees go back into local branches. 

To give you an idea a branch like mine with 200 members gets about 300 quid a month (most new members pay a quid a month)

Out of that we need to pay for hall hire, conference delegates, postage, constituency office levies to pay for rent,rates and utilities and constituency office staff etc 

Beyond that since the big jump in membership late 2014 we are onto General Election number 3 and have had Scottish elections, local elections, euro elections and euro referendums as well as having to pay a levy for by elections such as Shetland

As well as national naterials HQ buy we need to pay for local candidate specific materials,postage,posters, venue hire etc

Elections are massively expensive and even Labour and Tories are down to brass tacks. The difference being a local Labour candidate can expect a nice 2500k cheque from the local union or Tories from a local business man. 

Whereas by and large we rely on individual donations and fucking coffee mornings 

I was at a coffee morning last week, but missed that bit.

On 08/11/2019 at 10:42, trainspotter said:

When I read a comment like this I think we're in danger of replacing red with yellow. Not aiming this at Wishart in particular though.

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/14886495.peter-geoghegan-labours-days-of-monkeys-with-red-rosettes-are-over/

"Glasgow's first SNP MP" Was that not Margo MacDonald?

2 hours ago, Kejan said:

I find it an odd decision planning to stand, but don't understand the outrage at it. They are a political party, independent of the SNP and a different agenda. They are entitled to stand and its almost a touch arrogant of the SNP expecting anyone who is an independence supporter to stand aside for them.

Haven't seen much outrage, but it would've seemed a bit strange to pick a very tight SNP/Tory marginal in a constituency where they don't have any councillors, when they're only contesting a third of the seats. Would have been different if they were standing in most or every constituency. If they had a lot of local support asking for them to run, fair enough though.