War of the Worlds

GordonD

BBC running trailers for this forthcoming series. Looks good - at least for once it's actually set in the time and place of the original book, not contemporary America. And it doesn't have Tom fucking Cruise in it.

Has there ever been a film where an idiot stalling an escape from certain death to save a fucking dog doesn't come out of it just fine, with Fido yelping happily? Quite enjoyed the steampunk/alt history feel of it though. Tom Cruise version though.. :thumbsdown

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Has there ever been a film where an idiot stalling an escape from certain death to save a fucking dog doesn't come out of it just fine, with Fido yelping happily? Quite enjoyed the steampunk/alt history feel of it though. Tom Cruise version though.. :thumbsdown

He jumped off his horse and left his ladyfriend because he just had to save the dog. Minutes before he had told his ladyfriend to leave the maid; 'she is dead' he cried despite him standing 15 feet away and not being a medic. Social commentary? mmm.

The Tom Cruise version... excellent in my opinion.

Just settling down to episode one now. It looks incredible. FWIW HG Wells would have been regarded as woke by contemporaneous standards. I’m quite glad they’ve kept that in.

Edit: Quite liked the Tom Cruise version too. But the Orson Welles radio play, to this day, remains a masterpiece of art.

On 20/11/2019 at 22:44, sfha said:

He jumped off his horse and left his ladyfriend because he just had to save the dog. Minutes before he had told his ladyfriend to leave the maid; 'she is dead' he cried despite him standing 15 feet away and not being a medic. Social commentary? mmm.

The Tom Cruise version... excellent in my opinion.

Boris's Britain. Leave her she's on Zero hours. Get the dog we can get £3k a litter breeding it.

Well disappointed by the second episode after enjoying the first. Just tell the fucking story instead of jumping all over the place in the timeline. 

Thought the first episode was a little bit slow, but was ok, and thought they had done a good job with the look and the effects. Episode 2 was a shambles though with the timeline all over the place.

I was really looking forward to this but I'm afraid it's gone a bit meh.